Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Band sues an actual Hotel California!

Default The Band sues an actual Hotel California!

Yahoo News just released an interesting tidbit (news is self explanatory):
    https://www.yahoo.com/movies/eagles-...150236492.html

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press

Thanks for that, NNtFT! I caught a bit about it earlier this morning, but hadn't had time to find out what it was all about.

Wouldn't you think the hotel owners would have known not to mess with Don Henley and the Eagles?!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

There's a hotel in Santa Monica with that name; I wonder why it hasn't been sued. http://www.hotelca.com/

Beach Boys tidbit: It used to be called the Santa Monica Bay Inn, back in the early 1980s when Dennis Wilson lived there.

But back to the hotel in Baja that the Eagles are suing: its original name in 1950 was Hotel California, so... couldn't the current owners just claim that they were reverting to its historical name?

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    There's a hotel in Santa Monica with that name; I wonder why it hasn't been sued. http://www.hotelca.com/

Beach Boys tidbit: It used to be called the Santa Monica Bay Inn, back in the early 1980s when Dennis Wilson lived there.

But back to the hotel in Baja that the Eagles are suing: its original name in 1950 was Hotel California, so... couldn't the current owners just claim that they were reverting to its historical name?
    I haven't done enough research yet to give a complete explanation, but it appears that this hotel has tried to convince guests that it is related to the song in some way (which the Eagles claim it is not). The Santa Monica hotel can have that name as long as they don't claim that it is related to the band or the song in any way.

I have to admit, when I first heard about this lawsuit, I thought, "There they go again." However, if it's true that the hotel was fraudulently claiming to be the inspiration for the song or something to that effect, they are justified in putting a stop to it.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I have to admit, when I first heard about this lawsuit, I thought, "There they go again." However, if it's true that the hotel was fraudulently claiming to be the inspiration for the song or something to that effect, they are justified in putting a stop to it.
    That was my reaction too until I read further into it.

Stuck on the Border

I saw this on the news last night and the reporter said they play Eagles music in the hotel lobby and throughout the hotel.
    However, when I first heard it my first thoughts were also "here we go again" too,

Default The Band sues an actual Hotel California!

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2017/0...alifornia.html

It's not located on a dark desert highway, and guests are presumably allowed to leave, but the Eagles still feel that a real-life Hotel California is ripping off their biggest hit.

The band filed a lawsuit against the Mexican hotel this week, accusing the owners of encouraging guests to believe that it's associated with the band, Reuters reports.

According to the lawsuit, the hotel pumps "Hotel California" and other hits through its sound system, as well as sells merchandise describing itself as "legendary."

The hotel in Baja California Sur actually opened under the name Hotel California in 1950, more than 25 years before the Eagles released the song of the same name, the Hollywood Reporter notes.
    Its name changed several times before new owners took over in 2001 and allegedly sought to boost business with what the lawsuit calls a "reputed, but false, connection to the Eagles." Though the hotel's website states the owners have no connection with the band "nor do they promote any association," it says its guests "are mesmerized by the 'coincidences'" between the song and hotel itself (yes, you can hear mission bells).

The lawsuit, which was filed in Los Angeles, seeks damages and an injunction preventing the hotel from using the name. Reuters quotes a 2016 CBS News interview with Don Henley in which he explained the song wasn't really about California—or Mexico, apparently—but rather "a journey ... it's about America." (This music suit involves Eminem and New Zealand's ruling party.)

Default Re: The Band sues an actual Hotel California!

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: The Band sues an actual Hotel California!

CBS had a segment on this this morning and the attorney they spoke to said they had a very good chance of winning. She read emails to the hotel from patrons who had stayed there and everyone she read as an example mentioned the Eagles and the song HC.