Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Randy's TV appearances

Default Re: Randy's TV appearances

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Nerd alert! Looking closely at the Randy Meisner Concert Chronology, an invaluable resource, I see that Rick Nelson and the Stone Canyon Band appeared at least thrice on the Mike Douglas Show in the Meisner era: sometime in 1969 (Randy is wearing a fringe jacket); January 7, 1970 and February 5, 1971.

Not long ago, I had seen a very detailed web site with info about all the Mike Douglas episodes. I can't seem to find it now. I'm pretty sure the wonderful videos on YouTube are from a 1970 episode filmed at the San Diego zoo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aht...nXSNKAdPnVKIqo

And we may need to add yet another Merv Griffin Show appearance: December 3rd, 1970. I believe Randy was back in the SCB fold at that time.
    is this the website? http://www.tv.com/shows/the-mike-douglas-show/episodes/

I’m not seeing Rick Nelson listed as the guest on 1/7/70 nor 2/5/71 (I take it these are recent additions to the Concert Chronology?). He is listed as appearing on 12/25/69 but it doesn’t say anything about performing. I didn’t go back any further than that though. Maybe when I have some time I can scope out more info.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

Hi NMB and Delilah ! Thanks so much for all the info - Randy sure made a lot of tv appearances. It seems he made the most of them all - that is of course not counting Glenn's acting stints. I wish we could get some of those early Eagles tv appearances from 1973 to 1975. Were they on tv after that ? Did they do DK Rock Concert or In Concert (or whatever it was called-I forget) in 1976 onward ? I can remember watching both shows on tv with my sisters and friends on Friday nights.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Howdy New Kid! That would be wonderful if we could have all the Eagles tv appearances in a high-quality collection. I’d especially like to see their performances on the Helen Reddy Show and Howard Cosell’s Saturday Night Live. I don’t think the Eagles did any tv past 1974. Randy appeared on the Midnight Special as a solo in December 1980. I watched that show often as a youngster, but don’t remember that 😦

Nerd alert! Looking closely at the Randy Meisner Concert Chronology, an invaluable resource, I see that Rick Nelson and the Stone Canyon Band appeared at least thrice on the Mike Douglas Show in the Meisner era: sometime in 1969 (Randy is wearing a fringe jacket); January 7, 1970 and February 5, 1971.

Not long ago, I had seen a very detailed web site with info about all the Mike Douglas episodes. I can't seem to find it now.
    Ok, I went back to that TV.com website and perused it more carefully. According to the entry for 12/25/1969, episode 84, Rick Nelson appeared as a guest on the Mike Douglas Show which was co-hosted by The Craig Hundley Trio. I believe this is show where Randy appeared with his fringey jacket. Here is the YT clip where you can see a young man greeting Rick and he’s referred to as “Craig Hundley” by Mike Douglas. Also towards the end Mr. Douglas alludes to the Decca record She Belongs to Me, which is “really catching on big.” It hit the Top 40 in Jan. 1970 according to one of the YT comments.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uPagON8m84k

I don’t know how the date of January 7, 1970 came about, unless maybe the Dec. 25 episode was re-broadcast that day or something. The entry for that date shows something else entirely.

Not long ago, I had seen a very detailed web site with info about all the Mike Douglas episodes. I can't seem to find it now. I'm pretty sure the wonderful videos on YouTube are from a 1970 episode filmed at the San Diego zoo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aht...nXSNKAdPnVKIqo
    The website TV.com shows Rick Nelson appeared on the Mike Douglas Show 1/28/71 with Dick Shawn co-hosting. Maybe this was aired again on Feb. 5, 1971 or re-scheduled since the dates are so close. At any rate, the entry for Feb. 5, 1971 says nothing about Rick.

Also, Rick made another appearance on 4/15/71. That whole week Mike Douglas was in San Diego at different sites. According to the entry for this date, episode 154, the show took place at the U.S. International University in San Diego (or I guess at least part of it did). Guests included Dr. Jonas Salk, Chuck Berry, Linda Ronstadt and George Carlin. And it sure looks like Linda and George sitting next to Mr. Douglas in this YT video!

So it seems that Rick Nelson did indeed appear on this talk show at least 3 times during Randy’s tenure.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Hi NMB and Delilah ! Thanks so much for all the info - Randy sure made a lot of tv appearances. It seems he made the most of them all - that is of course not counting Glenn's acting stints. I wish we could get some of those early Eagles tv appearances from 1973 to 1975. Were they on tv after that ? Did they do DK Rock Concert or In Concert (or whatever it was called-I forget) in 1976 onward ? I can remember watching both shows on tv with my sisters and friends on Friday nights.
    You’re welcome, NKIT. It does seem Randy has had the most TV performances, musically-speaking. I remember reading a YT comment long ago by someone claiming to know Randy’s family. Supposedly Randy’s father said a talent agent was interested in getting Randy into movies but Randy was too shy. So he may have had even more TV appearances if not for that.

I haven’t seen anything showing the Eagles on TV post-1975. I don’t know why; maybe they got too big or something. They wouldn’t even show up to accept their Grammy awards in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Also, Rick made another appearance on 4/15/71. That whole week Mike Douglas was in San Diego at different sites. According to the entry for this date, episode 154, the show took place at the U.S. International University in San Diego (or I guess at least part of it did). Guests included Dr. Jonas Salk, Chuck Berry, Linda Ronstadt and George Carlin. And it sure looks like Linda and George sitting next to Mr. Douglas in this YT video!

So it seems that Rick Nelson did indeed appear on this talk show at least 3 times during Randy’s tenure.
    If Randy stayed with the Stone Canyon Band as late as April 1971... and if the videos of him and Rick on the Mike Douglas Show are from that date, that's a confirmation... how fascinating!! Linda Ronstadt was there. One wonders if she performed and if the other pre-Eagles were in her back-up band at that time.

If Randy stayed with the Stone Canyon Band as late as April 1971... and if the videos of him and Rick on the Mike Douglas Show are from that date, that's a confirmation... how fascinating!! Linda Ronstadt was there. One wonders if she performed and if the other pre-Eagles were in her back-up band at that time.
    Wow! I was so excited about the possibility of footage showing Glenn and Don backing up Linda that I looked for and found this video of the entire episode #154 on YT (thanks for planting the seed ). Alas, it wasn’t to be.

At 14:00 Linda is introduced along with her band Swampwater with neither Glenn nor Don. It does bring up the question though why they were not there; by that point they probably had recorded tracks at the Troubadour for her s/t album.

At 32:45 Rick performs with the Stone Canyon Band though the band name isn’t mentioned. What’s really great here is the newish footage of the band being introduced (or at least it’s new to me).

At 36:55 Randy smiles an awesomely sweet smile.

The show ends with Chuck Berry performing. I bet Randy was thrilled to have played on the same show as the legendary rock pioneer.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AOnopgT_Ds0

Delilah, how completely awesome!! You’re an amazing researcher.

This clip is not as epic, but a “new” (to us) performance has surfaced of Poco on the Tonight Show in November 1989 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=stS0Q4...ugF2AgzfRNsNMk

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    At 36:55 Randy smiles an awesomely sweet smile]
    His smiles are something truly beautiful to behold.