Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Randy's TV appearances

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Randy's TV appearances

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Wow - great finds - thank you so much ! It's amazing how many shows Randy was on. Loved the Poco video from the Tonight Show in 1990. Randy looks great. His hair was really long ! Boy, I would love to see the videos from The Helen Reddy Show on 7/12/73 and the Concert on ABC-TV on 8/03/1973. I got onto the tv site for the HR show but could bring up the show.
    Oh man, I would love to see the Helen Reddy Show performances in full too. They're in "The Eagles Vault" one assumes, because there were nice quality clips in HOTE. The ABC in Concert performances have been available in bootleg for some years now. Not great quality, but still worthwhile. That's where they did the "long" version (extra verse) of Tequila Sunrise.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Oh man, I would love to see the Helen Reddy Show performances in full too. They're in "The Eagles Vault" one assumes, because there were nice quality clips in HOTE. The ABC in Concert performances have been available in bootleg for some years now. Not great quality, but still worthwhile. That's where they did the "long" version (extra verse) of Tequila Sunrise.
    NMB - Have you ever seen the bootleg for the ABC Show. I have never seen it. Was this The Howard Cosell Show? I would love to hear the long version of TS. Don and Irving need to open those vaults ! I bet they have a S___ load of tapes and videos. All those other 70's bands release stuff. They need to get over it and release the tapes/videos.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    NMB - Have you ever seen the bootleg for the ABC Show. I have never seen it. Was this The Howard Cosell Show? I would love to hear the long version of TS. Don and Irving need to open those vaults ! I bet they have a S___ load of tapes and videos. All those other 70's bands release stuff. They need to get over it and release the tapes/videos.
    The ABC in Concert is different from the Cosell show. I believe/hope real hard that the Eagles performance from the Cosell show exists because the Linda Ronstadt clips from the same concert (at Balboa Stadium in San Diego) are on YouTube. The ABC clips are from 1974 I believe and are pretty widely available. I've seen them on the web from time to time as well. Hurry! Before the lawyers take it down: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFGKWwT6aTo

Border Rebel

Thanks for posting the link, NMB! I watched it this morning and really enjoyed seeing Bernie front and center. What a great song. Seeing Bernie's turquoise bracelet makes me wish I had kept all of my turquoise jewelry from those days!

Love that ABC show! And how I wish we had access to all those great performances...

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I sure hope our friend Delilah finds her way back to The Border. Got an update on Randy's tv appearances. Reelin' in the Years controls the licensing for the Merv Griffin Show archives. Turns out Randy was on the show twice! We've only seen a brief glimpse of Randy performing "Playin' in the Deep End" from the August 3, 1982 episode, shown within the 1994 "American Journal" story
    Quote Originally Posted by My My View Post
    And I agree that Delilah needs to find her way back here. You two were the dynamic duo of Meisner detective work! Keep dreaming...
    Thanks for that update, NMB.

And thank you both for your kind comments.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Border Rebel

So this is the updated list as it stands right now.

1. The Name of the Game "Shine On, Shine On Jesse Gil" episode #7 with The Poor, 11/01/68
    2. Ironsides "Price Tag: Death" with The Poor, 11/07/1968
    3. The Joey Bishop Show, with Rick Nelson & The Stone Canyon Band, 10/28/1969
    4. The Joey Bishop Show, with Rick Nelson & TSCB, 11/10/1969
    5. The Glenn Campbell Goodtime Hour, with Rick Nelson & TSCB, 12/10/1969
    6. Scene '70, with Rick Nelson & TSCB, 1/03/1970
    7. The Mike Douglas Show with Rick Nelson & TSCB, 1/07/1970
    8. Scene '70, with Rick Nelson & TSCB, 2/08/1970
    9. Get It Together, with Rick Nelson & TSCB, 3/03/1970
    10. Good Vibrations from Central Park with the Eagles, 8/23/1972
    11. Easy To Be Free, a 1969 Rick Nelson documentary, broadcast in 1973
    12. PopGala, Voorburg, Netherlands with the Eagles, 3/10/1973
    13. Eagles-Live at Paris Theatre, BBC-TV with the Eagles, 3/20/1973
    14. The Helen Reddy Show with the Eagles, 7/12/73
    15. Concert on ABC-TV with the Eagles, 8/03/1973
    16. Don Kirshner's Rock Concert at the Beacon Theater, NY with the Eagles & Jackson Browne/Linda Ronstadt, 3/14/1974
    17. California Jam with the Eagles, 4/06/1974
    18. Don Kirshner's Rock Concert in Los Angeles, CA with the Eagles & Jackson Browne/Linda Ronstadt, 7/19/1974
    19. Saturday Night Live with Howard Cosell with the Eagles, 9/27/1975
    20. Midnight Special with The Silverados & Kim Carnes, 12/05/1980
    21. Fridays with The Silverados, 2/27/1981
    22. PM Magazine 4/08/1981
    23. Merv Griffin Show, 7/21/1981
    24. Merv Griffin Show 8/03/1982
    25. Solid Gold 10/02/1982
    26. Richard Marx MTV Special, taped 9/25/1987, aired in 1988?
    27. Nashville Now with Rick Roberts, 11/09/1988
    28. The Arsenio Hall Show with Poco, 10/04/1989
    29. The Johnny Carson Show with Poco, 11/17/1989
    30. The Pat Sajak Show with Poco, 11/21/1989
    31. Countdown (Dutch tv show) with Poco, 1989
    32. The Tonight Show (with Jay Leno) with Poco, 1/22/1990
    33. Farm Aid with Poco, 4/07/1990
    34. Bottom Line Show with Poco, Nagoya Live TV, 1990
    35. A 70s Celebration-The Beat is Back with Richard Marx, 11/16/1993
    36. American Journal 10/1994
    Well, only since you and Delilah are self described nerds, I thought I'd let you know what I've found about entry number 10. The month and day are correct but it actually was in 1973, not 1972. I was doing my usual search for Eagles concert info and came across an article about this appearance. It is an interview with Henley and he's talking about the songs they are performing from their newest album, Desperado. He mentions the cuts, "Desperado", and "Desperado Reprise" backed by a string section. He also said they'd do "Tequila Sunrise" and possibly a couple of others off the album.

Quote Originally Posted by My My View Post
    Well, only since you and Delilah are self described nerds, I thought I'd let you know what I've found about entry number 10. The month and day are correct but it actually was in 1973, not 1972. I was doing my usual search for Eagles concert info and came across an article about this appearance. It is an interview with Henley and he's talking about the songs they are performing from their newest album, Desperado. He mentions the cuts, "Desperado", and "Desperado Reprise" backed by a string section. He also said they'd do "Tequila Sunrise" and possibly a couple of others off the album.
    Oops. My My you are correct, that should be 1973. I shouldn’t have missed it b/c some of it is on YT and sometimes the Desperado video pops up there (that’s the one where Glenn plays the piano and also directs the string section). Thanks for the notice.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Border Rebel

You're welcome. I guess I'm somewhat of a nerd myself, especially when it comes to concert dates. There are so many concert dates that were added, changed or cancelled that aren't listed on the tour information page.

Nerd alert! Looking closely at the Randy Meisner Concert Chronology, an invaluable resource, I see that Rick Nelson and the Stone Canyon Band appeared at least thrice on the Mike Douglas Show in the Meisner era: sometime in 1969 (Randy is wearing a fringe jacket); January 7, 1970 and February 5, 1971.

Not long ago, I had seen a very detailed web site with info about all the Mike Douglas episodes. I can't seem to find it now. I'm pretty sure the wonderful videos on YouTube are from a 1970 episode filmed at the San Diego zoo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aht...nXSNKAdPnVKIqo

And we may need to add yet another Merv Griffin Show appearance: December 3rd, 1970. I believe Randy was back in the SCB fold at that time.