Thread: Memphis, TN - May 8, 2017

Default Memphis, TN - May 8, 2017

Overall, a rockin' show. Really interesting variations on his guitar solos, especially The Bomber and Turn to Stone. He used the line "can't make 'em run much longer" for the latter, which is unusual and cool. Joe never lets you down!

I also loved the lighting. The disco ball was used to great effect. Pity there was no backdrop screen for the Glenn montage.

However, there were major problems with the sound where I was. The drums would echo so badly that it interfered with the music, overlapping in the songs almost constantly since many of his songs are drum-heavy.

I wonder if Joe noticed and if it affected his performance, because he wasn't quite on his a-game. He missed a couple cues, fudged a few lytics, and didn't seem his normally spirited self. I thought for sure he would talk a bit about his time in Memphis - the Memphian theater was the cover of Got Any Gum, for Heaven's sake - but all we got was the standard joke "I spent a year in Memphis one night." In fact all his jokes were the standard stuff when usually he adds to them a bit for solo shows. He just seemed like he wasn't as into it as I've seen him be in the past.

Still an enjoyable show, though!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Memphis, TN - May 8, 2017

He used to live at The Peabody hotel for a time, didn't he?

I'm glad you enjoyed the show, Soda, and thank you for sharing with us about it.

Border Desperado longtimeeaglesfan's Avatar

Thanks for the review! I didn't realize that the "Got any Gum?" cover was what is now the Circuit Playhouse here in Memphis.

I agree the lighting was great. I didn't really notice any issue with the drum echo where I was sitting..section 115 to the right facing the stage. I'm not quite sure when Joe is fudging the lyrics or him just being Joe - changing up the words and the timing.

Only my second Joe solo show, but I do notice and like how he changes up the guitar solo parts. My favorite "Turn to Stone" version remains the Eagles performing in 1976 with Joe and Don Felder dueling back and forth.

Had a good view of drummers, Joe Vitale and Chad Cromwell, a native Memphian, as Joe pointed out. It looked like they were having great fun!

Favorite song of the night was "Ordinary Average Guy" but I always love the talk box on "Rocky Mountain Way" and hearing "Life's Been Good", as it was the first Joe song I remember hearing back when I first got the "Eagles Live" album for Christmas in 1980!

Thanks for filling us in, guys! I'll be in Memphis tomorrow, the 10th, just in time to miss Joe!! Aarrgh!!!

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Ooh! Luvy! Is this your first time in Memphis? What are you going to do, see, eat?!

I've been to Memphis, yes, but I'm traveling with a friend who hasn't, so we'll do Graceland and Beale Street.
    P.S. Sorry to go OT but I've just got to tell you that we're rocking out to Beth Hart's Bottle of Jesus right now. Been hearing a lot of Joe Bonamassa with Beth Hart, thanks to my friend. Yay! If you like her style, please do yourself a favor and give a listen to Caught Out In The Rain and I Love You More TYEK.
    Wish you all were here, too.

I will check Ms. Hart's music out, thank you for the recommendation.

Enjoy yourself, missy!

I wish I saw Joe on Monday. The only reason I didn't go(other than I couldn't drive because I broke my ankle) was because it was a weekday. Soda and I saw Joe last year and I hope I get to see him again.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    I wish I saw Joe on Monday. The only reason I didn't go(other than I couldn't drive because I broke my ankle) was because it was a weekday. Soda and I saw Joe last year and I hope I get to see him again.
    I remember that, shun. It seems like it was very hot the day you guys were there.

It was hot. We thought it was going to rain that night, but the rain stayed away. It rained a few hours before the concert.

Here's the recap video for Memphis. It cool to see the Peabody and formerly the Pyramid (which is now Bass Pro Shop). I think I would love to be part of Joe's team. They seem to have so much fun on tour.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywKa1REJAEY[/ame]

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley