Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: Terrorist Attacks in the United Kingdom

  1. #11
    Stuck on the Border
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    1,825

    Default Re: Terrorist Attack at Concert in Manchester, UK

    This is so sad and heart breaking..... The youngest victim was only eight years old. My thoughts and prayers are with all the families and all of Manchester and England. I heard on the news this morning they are looking for at least two more bombs. May all the victims RIP.

    Police were at my train station today and have surrounded MSG and all other venues in NYC. Sadly this is just a sign of the times we live in.

  2. #12
    Stuck on the Border Topkat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    3,318

    Default Re: Terrorist Attack at Concert in Manchester, UK

    Yes, they are saying now that concert venues & stadiums will be like the airport with metal detectors, arrival 2 hours early & outside armed military. We will be searched, frisked, x-rayed, whatever necessary to keep us save.

    So sad the world has come to this. We used to enjoy concerts without any thoughts of anything happening but a great time.

    Prayers for the UK

  3. #13
    Stuck on the Border
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    3,395

    Default Re: Terrorist Attack at Concert in Manchester, UK

    I'm saddened by the changes this kind of attack brings to society. I was struck by local news coverage in which they reported that there would be armed police at a local railway station and they showed a picture of a policemen - with gun - in familiar surroundings. Although I know there are occasions when british police carry guns, I have never seen an armed policeman in the UK. To me it seems like a significant change to our culture.

    The big issue it to understand why young men come to believe they should take their own lives in this way and also why the people close to them allow it.
    "Billy, whoever writes the songs, wins."

  4. #14
    Border Troubadour
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,451

    Default Re: Terrorist Attack at Concert in Manchester, UK

    I was in Manchester today, in fairness to the city even though the tragedy occurred less than three days ago it was very much business as usual, aside from the Arena and surrounding environs still being cordoned off, and the armed police literally everywhere.

    I too have never seen armed police routinely in the UK, it was quite something tonight walking home and seeing three policemen stood about chatting whilst holding submachine guns.

    One of those killed was from my hometown, and coupled with the demographic of most of the victims, this has really stuck out for me. What a terrible situation.

  5. #15
    Stuck on the Border Dawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Walking in Memphis ...
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Terrorist Attack at Concert in Manchester, UK

    Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    I was in Manchester today, in fairness to the city even though the tragedy occurred less than three days ago it was very much business as usual, aside from the Arena and surrounding environs still being cordoned off, and the armed police literally everywhere.

    I too have never seen armed police routinely in the UK, it was quite something tonight walking home and seeing three policemen stood about chatting whilst holding submachine guns.

    One of those killed was from my hometown, and coupled with the demographic of most of the victims, this has really stuck out for me. What a terrible situation.
    So very sorry this happened. My heart goes out to all those impacted by this senseless tragedy life will never be the same but the human spirit is remarkable and resilient. Hang in there, allbest to you. Dawn

  6. #16
    Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Randyland
    Posts
    3,541

    Default Re: Terrorist Attack at Concert in Manchester, UK

    What do our British forum members think of what Morrissey wrote about the attack on his Facebook page?:

    Celebrating my birthday in Manchester as news of the Manchester Arena bomb broke. The anger is monumental.
    For what reason will this ever stop?

    Theresa May says such attacks "will not break us", but her own life is lived in a bullet-proof bubble, and she evidently does not need to identify any young people today in Manchester morgues. Also, "will not break us" means that the tragedy will not break her, or her policies on immigration. The young people of Manchester are already broken - thanks all the same, Theresa. Sadiq Khan says "London is united with Manchester", but he does not condemn Islamic State - who have claimed responsibility for the bomb. The Queen receives absurd praise for her 'strong words' against the attack, yet she does not cancel today's garden party at Buckingham Palace - for which no criticism is allowed in the Britain of free press. Manchester mayor Andy Burnham says the attack is the work of an "extremist". An extreme what? An extreme rabbit?

    In modern Britain everyone seems petrified to officially say what we all say in private. Politicians tell us they are unafraid, but they are never the victims. How easy to be unafraid when one is protected from the line of fire. The people have no such protections.

    Morrissey
    23 May 2017.

  7. #17
    Stuck on the Border Topkat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    3,318

    Default Re: Terrorist Attack at Concert in Manchester, UK

    Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I'm saddened by the changes this kind of attack brings to society. I was struck by local news coverage in which they reported that there would be armed police at a local railway station and they showed a picture of a policemen - with gun - in familiar surroundings. Although I know there are occasions when british police carry guns, I have never seen an armed policeman in the UK. To me it seems like a significant change to our culture.

    The big issue it to understand why young men come to believe they should take their own lives in this way and also why the people close to them allow it.
    From what I see on the news here in NY, the UK is on High Alert, as they feel this guy did not work alone & had lots of arsenal and bomb making materials in his house when they searched it. They may be expecting another attack.

    I used to work in the building above Grand Central Station, which usually have armed military on duty all around the station, also Canine police. I still felt it was a target for terrorism due to it being a major transportation hub. I got used to seeing the military holding guns, but where I live, you can't find a cop if you need one. Only see traffic cops giving out parking tickets, that's about it. Nothing here is different. I assume the next concert or baseball game I go to will have a lot of security, but I don't mind it. Unfortunately the world we live in has changed & too many nuts out there with an agenda.

  8. #18
    Border Rebel secret squirrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Alpha Centauri aka Sidcup
    Posts
    719

    Default Re: Terrorist Attack at Concert in Manchester, UK

    Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    What do our British forum members think of what Morrissey wrote about the attack on his Facebook page?:

    Celebrating my birthday in Manchester as news of the Manchester Arena bomb broke. The anger is monumental.
    For what reason will this ever stop?

    Theresa May says such attacks "will not break us", but her own life is lived in a bullet-proof bubble, and she evidently does not need to identify any young people today in Manchester morgues. Also, "will not break us" means that the tragedy will not break her, or her policies on immigration. The young people of Manchester are already broken - thanks all the same, Theresa. Sadiq Khan says "London is united with Manchester", but he does not condemn Islamic State - who have claimed responsibility for the bomb. The Queen receives absurd praise for her 'strong words' against the attack, yet she does not cancel today's garden party at Buckingham Palace - for which no criticism is allowed in the Britain of free press. Manchester mayor Andy Burnham says the attack is the work of an "extremist". An extreme what? An extreme rabbit?

    In modern Britain everyone seems petrified to officially say what we all say in private. Politicians tell us they are unafraid, but they are never the victims. How easy to be unafraid when one is protected from the line of fire. The people have no such protections.

    Morrissey
    23 May 2017.
    I do agree with some of what Morrissey says. Politicians keep saying we mustn't be divided, we mustn't let it change our way of life but this is what the extremists are banking on, that instead of being condemned, they will be allowed all the benefits of the way of life they seek to destroy. The killer here grew up in Manchester but developed an allegiance to IS. The killer at Westminster was born 9 miles from where I live. Everybody talks about the vulnerable being radicalised as if they weren't making a choice. The truly vulnerable are those unsuspecting victims on holiday in London or going out to a gig who have been killed or injured in these attacks.

    SS
    xx
    http://secretsquirrelshorts.blogspot...-homeland.html

  9. #19
    Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Randyland
    Posts
    3,541

    Default Re: Terrorist Attack at Concert in Manchester, UK

    I agree with you (and Mozzer, this time). But predictably, quite a few folks responded to him with charges of racism and xenophobia. I thought what he said was quite reasonable. And it's certainly got more sense and substance than the "let's hug it out" banalities of other celeb comments.

  10. #20
    Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)
    Posts
    5,263

    Default Re: Terrorist Attack at Concert in Manchester, UK

    I was halfway through with Scotland trip when the attack occurred. I noticed a difference in the atmosphere of Edinburgh for the rest of the trip. The people seemed less talkative and obviously somber. My bookbag was searched while entering the Scottish National Portrait Gallery as a precaution. As an American, I've gotten used to these kinds of attacks, but there was definitely no indifference in the UK, which opened my eyes some. I don't know what the answer to solve terroristic threats is. My thoughts are with those who were wounded and the families of those killed.
    -Kim-


    People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •