Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glynn Johns

Default Glynn Johns

Hi, I've always felt Glynn deserved more credit for making the Eagles focus on acoustic guitar ballads, I think I'm right in that TIE was a electric rnb song which I honestly can't imagine, I just wonder how many songs were supposed to have acoustic guitars too them before Glynn Johns arrived as I got the feeling they wanted to be a pure rock band? Or did they always incorporate acoustic elements from the start?
    Same Dancers in the Same Old Shoes

Default Re: Glynn Johns

Quote Originally Posted by OntheBorder74 View Post
    Hi, I've always felt Glynn deserved more credit for making the Eagles focus on acoustic guitar ballads, I think I'm right in that TIE was a electric rnb song which I honestly can't imagine, I just wonder how many songs were supposed to have acoustic guitars too them before Glynn Johns arrived as I got the feeling they wanted to be a pure rock band? Or did they always incorporate acoustic elements from the start?
    Well, 6/10 tracks on the best-selling U.S. album of the 20th Century were produced by Johns, so he definitely deserves a lot of credit. I don't know about the original intent for TIE--never heard about the RnB thing--but I understand it was Johns who suggested to Bernie that he play the banjo part double-time, which changed the whole vibe of the song.

Do you mean "not supposed to have acoustic guitars"? I don't know about starting out wanting to be a pure rock band. Glenn learned a lot from watching Poco, a pioneering country-rock band and was no doubt influenced by J.D. Souther. When Geffen told him he should be in a band, he didn't seek out pure rock musicians afaik. He ended up in a band with the bassist he watched rehearsing and performing with Poco as well as a former member of the Flying Burrito Brothers. Henley's band wasn't a pure rock band either. While Glenn did write Chug All Night, he also gravitated toward country-tinged songs like TIE and PEF. He even wrote country songs like Tequila Sunrise. Maybe when he left Detroit he intended to be a pure rocker, but the Southern California sound obviously appealed to him.

While Johns had a huge effect, I don't think he changed them from a rock band to a country rock band. I think what happened is that the band just changed over time as the members decided they wanted to rock more. Plus, Glenn probably realized that's where the big bucks were.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Banned

The reason Eagles chose Glynn Johns as their producer was that he had produced those classic 60's English rock bands. Henley wanted to sound like Led Zep's, John Bonham.

Johns told them they couldn't rock and focused on, where their real talent shined, on acoustic harmony vocal stuff. He also encouraged them to share out the lead vocals and song writing between them.

The band enjoyed playing their acoustic songs on stage, according to Glenn.

If Eagles make another album, I'd like Glynn Johns to be the producer.

Yeah that makes sense its just I know Randy once said in the book Take it to the Limit that in the early days they played Take It Easy as an RnB song and that they played some Chuck berry songs when they woodshed in Colarado. Also they aren't any live recordings of the band before their 72 debut album came out so always wondered if there was much difference. I know in that Gallery opening where Joni Mitchell was in attendance that they played Tryin and the song Get you in the Mood, two electric rock n rollers which I guess were part of the set along with maybe Chug All Night and some chuck berry tunes.

I also remember Johns saw them first in Colarado then in a rehearsal i LA and claimed in the HOTE doc they played the same kind of rock n roll they played in Aspen so I guess in my mind I'm getting the feeling they played a set of electric rock n rollers mainly with some acoustic tracks maybe thrown in like peaceful easy feeling. I'm sort of fascinated with the early lineup of the Eagles and the journey they went through in establishing their sound, I still think Take It Easy was originally intended to be an electric song closer to tryin, chug all night etc. But they had already worked out the harmonies , glynn I think just wanted to hear a prominent country/bluegrass element to it as far as I can tell.

Would love to know the setlist for those early shows in Aspen Colarado!
    Same Dancers in the Same Old Shoes

Border Rebel

For what it's worth, "Take It Easy" was an electric song when played live until Hell Freezes Over when Glenn switched to playing acoustic. I know there were some occasions during the 70s when he also played acoustic (Don Kirshner, BBC, come to mind), but every time I saw them during that decade it was an all electric song. Not R&B, but electric nonetheless.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Glyn mentioned they were playing some Chuck Berry when he first saw them live, so I'm guessing the song could have been "Carol" which they would still play in concerts into the mid-70s.

Holy cow, that was a run-on sentence.

Banned

Take It Easy was largely a Jackson Browne song. His recording of it is pretty similar to the Eagles version. Missing the harmonies of course.

I read somewhere that an early Eagles concert, due to a very enthusiastic audience response, included 3 performances of Witchy Woman. Which kinda gives the impression that they only had a minuscule repertoire, despite having previously performed with Linda Ronstadt, The Flying Burrito Brothers, Poco, Ricky Nelson, Longbranch Pennywhistle, Shiloh and other artists between them. Also gave the impression that they weren't prepared to jam beyond the rehearsal room.

Maybe after that show, they changed that policy because I remember hearing, at least a rare live Roy Orbison cover from the original line up.

I remember reading that too, Funk50--something about "Witchy Woman" being performed three times at a show; I thought it was at the Gallery exhibit, where they also played "Tryin."

As a new band starting out and still getting used to each other, it's not surprising they would play standards like Chuck Berry songs at their very early gigs. Any young aspiring musician would know those songs, esp. back then, including Glenn, Don, Bernie and Randy. There may not have been much else they could immediately start playing together and rehearsing that they all knew well.

It's pretty well documented that Glenn, with the influence of others like J.D. Souther, was interested in forming a band with a new country rock sound.

Quote Originally Posted by OntheBorder74 View Post
    Would love to know the setlist for those early shows in Aspen Colarado!
    Me too. Randy has said he taped all those shows and even rehearsals, I think. I wonder if he still has the recordings.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Randy has said he taped all those shows and even rehearsals, I think. I wonder if he still has the recordings.
    If any of us ever has the great good fortune to meet the Randstar, we must ask him.

Stuck on the Border

The show where they played Witchy Women three times was an art show for I believe Boyd Elder, who did art work on their first three albums. David Geffen, Joni Mitchell some of the others in that crowd were at the art show. It's discussed in a few of the Eagles books including I believe "To The Limit". It has been awhile since I have watched it, but if I remember right, HOTE states he was one of the seven who took the trip to Joshua Tree to film the photos for the first album.

While Glyn Johns wanted to the Eagles to sound more country, they, especially, Glenn, Don and Randy, wanted to include a mix of country and rock in their songs.
    I believe some of the songs played at the bar in Aspen are listed in TITTL.

When I saw the Eagles in concert before HFO, TIE was always more rock played on electric guitar like in the Capital Center video.