Thread: Don Henley - Boston June 6, 2017

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Border Rebel

Default Don Henley - Boston June 6, 2017

Just got back from the concert, and I'm pretty tired, so I'll have to do a longer review tomorrow. Just wanted to say it was a great show, though. It was very cold and rainy for this time of year in Boston, and it was in an outdoor venue, under a tent/pavilion.

They opened with Seven Bridges Road, per usual, and then Don started singing,

"Chestnuts roasting on an open fire
    Jack Frost nipping at your nose
    Yuletide carols being sung by a choir
    And folks dressed up like Eskimos…"

He stopped there but it was pretty funny. Definitely wasn't expecting that song! Then he made some joke about New Englanders being used to that kind of weather. He actually sounded pretty good on that song. He did sound rusty on some of the early songs, but his voice definitely improved as the night went on.

The set list was different from previously, but I'll talk more about that tomorrow. The biggest surprise was at the end. For the last two songs, they were having technical difficulties where none of the monitors were working. Don said they couldn't hear themselves at all but were going to try to wing it. He sang Desperado and sounded awesome, but the he stayed on stage. We were wondering what was going on. After a few minutes, he said the technical difficulties couldn't be fixed, but they were going to go ahead and do one more. I thought it might be Wasted Time, but he said, "This one's for Glenn," and sang Peaceful, Easy Feeling.

It sounded great with all the harmony from the back-up singers, but it was certainly a surprise!

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Default Re: Don Henley - Boston June 6, 2017

Sounds like a great night, tech problems notwithstanding. I'd love to have heard the PEF dedication - was it accoustic? Were you allowed take pics of is the camera ban still in place?
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

That's awesome he did PEF!!! Would love to here him do that too. Really funny he did a Christmas song with the weather being so chilly. LOL
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

I would had loved to hear him sing The Christmas Song. I can just see Don busting into a Christmas song all of a sudden. A lady I know in the choir would bust into The Christmas Song when she's frustrated. LOL Its so funny when she does that.

I'm surprised that Don did one of Glenn's songs since he said he wouldn't do it, but I would had loved to hear him sing PEF. I think I read on Facebook that he has sang PEF before. I heard audio of him singing Already Gone and Lyin' Eyes.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 06-07-2017 at 02:51 PM.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Stuck on the Border

MaryC - sounds like it was a great show. The Christmas song was cute. We have been having the same weather here. So glad you had a nice time.
    Shun, I agree. Don said he would never sing any songs Glenn sang. I have seen him do AG and LE but never PEF. Hope someone made a video of it.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    MaryC - sounds like it was a great show. The Christmas song was cute. We have been having the same weather here. So glad you had a nice time.
    Shun, I agree. Don said he would never sing any songs Glenn sang. I have seen him do AG and LE but never PEF. Hope someone made a video of it.
    At this point, NKIT. Don has been changing his mind lately about a lot of stuff. LOL So I'm not surprised he finally sang one of Glenn's songs. I wonder if he's going to do that for the rest of the tour. I'm ok with it because he's paying tribute to Glenn by actually singing one of his song then the ones he wrote with him. I hate Wasted Time was dropped. I loved that song and he and Lara do a great job.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 06-07-2017 at 01:50 PM.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    I would had loved to hear him sing The Christmas Song. I can just see Don busting into a Christmas song all of a sudden. A lady I know in the choir would bust into The Christmas Song when she's frustrated. LOL Its so funny when she does that.

I'm surprised that Don did one of Glenn's songs since he said he wouldn't do it, but I would had loved to hear him sing PEF. I think I read on Facebook that he has sang PEF before. I heard audio of him singing Already Gone and Lyin' Eyes.
    Hearing him sing the Christmas song was great, Shun. He was kind of walking around the stage when he sang it, and then he'd sing another line. He had a really cute smile on his face. His voice sounded great on it, really deep and resonant. Now I want him to record it. LOL!

I don't know if he'll keep singing PEF or if it was a one-off, but if I had to guess, I'd say he would keep singing it. His version was the best tribute we've heard, in my opinion, partly because of Don's voice and partly because of the fantastic harmony with the back-up singers. Of course, we haven't heard Deacon's version of it yet.

As I said, there were a few differences from his shows last summer. One big difference was that he didn't sing duets with the three female backup singers. The closest that he came to that was that they did a group singing of It Don't Matter to the Sun and Lara sang most or all of Stevie's part. There were no other solos by any of the three, and Don didn't take a break in the middle, so they didn't perform "I Don't Want to Hear Anymore" together, either. That is kind of puzzling me because they got such a positive response (partial standing ovation) for that song when I saw DH last September.

The only other song Don sang from Cass County was The Cost of Living . I was excited because I love that song, but I'm not sure it translated well to the concert stage and of course, no Merle Haggard. Don sang it solo. I missed Train in the Distance and kind of wish if he wanted to switch up his Cass County songs that he'd sing No Thank You. I think that would be a really upbeat song to play at a concert.

Most of the rest of the set list was pretty similar to what he did previously. He sang Last Worthless Evening, which he didn't do last time he was in Boston, and I was pretty happy about that. He sang Sunset Grill and not All She Wants to Do is Dance, which is what he did in Boston last year, but I know it's been different in different cities. I think he changed up a few of the lyrics on The End of the Innocence, probably ranking on Trump, because people were laughing, but we were in the back and I didn't catch what he was singing.

We had really obnoxious people in front of us and everyone was standing up. I kind of like standing and dancing for part of the show, but when you're in the back and there are a lot of tall people, it gets kind of old fast. The staff finally got people to sit down, but when Best of My Love was sung, everyone was up again and they stayed up. Also, the staff weren't cracking down on people taking pictures and videos very much, so people had their phones up a lot of the time. Don stopped once or twice to tell people, "Put it away." Knowing Don, he must have been pissed.

One funny thing was when Don introduced Scott Crago. Scott always gets a lot of applause here, as he's from Massachusetts. After he was introduced, Don said, "Craaago. Say it with me, Craaago." I don't know what that meant. LOL. Last year, when Don introduced one of the newer band members he called him The Prospector and said something like "We found him in the desert when we heard music coming from a mine shaft." I think he was talking about the pedal steel player Milo Deering? Don seems to like having a bit of fun with the band members!

He talked for just a few minutes about Walden Woods before The Last Resort. He didn't tell his little story about the girl from Providence. In fact, he didn't do a lot of talking, but he seemed in a great mood, smiling and moving around a lot (probably to keep warm!). He got his usual standing ovations to The Last Resort and Heart of the Matter and the crowd was very engaged, singing along and dancing, even in the back. Overall, it was a good night and Don made me forget all about the rain and cold for a couple of hours!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

mc, sounds like a wonderful show! But, it's Don Henley, what else would we expect! Glad you had fun!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten