Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eagles songs that have "grown on you" over time

Border Rebel

Default Re: Eagles songs that have "grown on you" over time

Right before the DESPERADO album was released, a New York fm radio station started playing songs from it a few at a time. The first ones I heard were "Certain Kind Of Fool" and "Outlaw Man." My remembrance of that initial listening experience was one of disappointment as they didn't strike me anywhere near as catchy as most of the songs on the first album. However, that assessment lasted until I got my hands on the album and played it non-stop for weeks. To this day, DESPERADO remains my favorite of all the Eagles albums. It has a sound and approach different from all the others and despite it's lack of any significant chart single, the songs are just amazing across the board.

Border Troubadour

Of the big hits, then Best of My Love, One of These Nights and I Can't Tell You Why. Of the minor songs, the one which really sticks out if King of Hollywood. It's probably in my top 10 favourites now.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

The Eagles song that has grown on me most is Those Shoes - when I first heard it I really didn't like much. I thought it was 'weird', I guess it seemed a alien to me compared to the songs on Greatest Hits Volume 1 in particular and had little to do with their earlier sound. Now I absolutely love it and would probably put it in my top 20 Eagles songs, and what's strange is that I think the very things that put me off it at first have now become the things I love most about it - the rhythm section and the talk box guitars.

At this point I should probably say that the album that has grown on me the most is by far The Long Run - when I first heard it I instantly loved The Sad Café and quite liked In The City but the rest was at best take or leave for me and I disliked several of the other songs. I think after a few months my attitude to the album began to soften and it rose from being easily my least favourite Eagles album to fourth on my list. I listened to the album last week and can now honestly say I love most of it now. Having got this out of the way, I can now say that all three of the TLR singles have grown on me - I initially didn't like Heartache Tonight much and I Can't Tell You Why didn't appeal to me. The only one I sort of liked was The Long Run, but I wasn't that fussed by it. By contrast, I now love all three songs (Having recently been to see the Illegal Eagles tribute band, I thoroughly enjoyed seeing them perform the first two and would have been very happy to see them do the latter!)

Not much has changed with the other hits for me - Tequila Sunrise has also moved up my list of my favourites, although I always liked it a lot. I think I gained a greater appreciation for its lyrics and Glenn's delivery (it's between that and NKIT for my favourite vocal by him).

Of the non-hits from the other albums, the ones that stand out to me are Take The Devil, Bitter Creek, After The Thrill Is Gone and Business As Usual. None of them made an immediate impression on me, but I really like all of them now. ATTIG stands out particularly because I remember listening to OOTN for the first time(nearly four years ago now!) and being immediately impressed by the hit songs as well as (more surprisingly) Journey of the Sorcerer. I didn't dislike ATTIG by any means, but it really didn't stand out to me at all. Now it's my second favourite song from that album after the title track - as Toni has mentioned, Felder's guitar work is excellent, and I love Don and Glenn's shared vocals. I think it steadily crept up my personal standings rather than there being any one moment when my opinion dramatically changed.

I feel there is a subtle difference between 'sleepers' and 'growers' - I personally find that 'sleepers' are songs that initially I find I can take or leave before I later start to really like, whereas 'growers' are songs that I initially don't like but later find myself loving. I think Those Shoes was a grower for me, whereas ATTIG was a sleeper.

Border Desperado

What a great topic. I have several that initially I didn't care for, but over the years have really enjoyed more and more.

1. Nightingale
    2. Train Leaves here this morning - after seeing the HOTE tour, I really enjoy this song.
    3. Midnight Flyer
    4. Visions - I know, I know. I don't think hardly anyone likes this one, but I have to say it has grown on me a lot over the years.
    5. Those Shoes- quirky, different, but fits nicely into the hodge podge of "The Long Run" album.

"On the Border", "Visions" and "You Never Cry Like a Lover" have all grown on me, especially "On the Border."

One that I used to think was "eh" and now I think is really cool is "Journey of the Sorcerer." The first time I heard it, I actually found it a little boring. Then, one stormy night, it was playing as I was driving through the dark on a lonely road, lightning flashing across the sky, thunder cracking...I cranked it up and it was SO FREAKING AWESOME. What an experience. I felt like I was in a movie. I've loved the song ever since.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Mine would be "You Never Cry Like a Lover" and "Nightingale". I am still waiting for "Journey of the Sorcerer" to take hold with me.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by East Texas Girl View Post
    I am still waiting for "Journey of the Sorcerer" to take hold with me.
    I'm the same!

YNCLAL has endeared itself to me for no reason other than the 'broken down carousel' line and subsequent solo. In the midst of a fairly unremarkable song I think it is one of their finest moments.