Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Should bands continue?

Banned

Default Re: Should bands continue?

I've seen the current line up of 10CC. They were on the same bill as the Eagles a few years ago. Musically they were top notch but it was all pure retro, pretty much where Eagles are now. The main vocalist was fine. I'm sorry I can't remember his name. A little annoyingly, Graham Gouldman, as the authentic presence, seemed to feel an obligation to be a lot more high profile than was really necessary.

I'd watch them again if they were on a festival bill but I don't see them as headlining act. I would make an effort to see the original line-up, partly as they're local boys made good. The original quartet are definitely a major part of Manchester's pop music history and produced some enjoyable and highly distinctive music.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

It's interesting to note that Gouldman has his own morals concerning what is right and what isn't. Touring the 10cc songs: yes because they're 10cc. Recording new music as 10cc, no. Eric Stewart is said to be very angry about Gouldman suing the name. Godley agrees - at least he has provided graphics and other materials for the tour and has guested.

I've revised some 10cc and solo. The GG/06 songs are pretty good IMHO and extremely well produced. (GG = Gouldman & Godley). I was surprised to see that they recorded everything themselves, at least according to the credits I've seen - they did a very good job.

Eric Stewart's most recent album 'Vive La Difference' is also pretty good, but not as good as the peak period 10cc albums.

Returning to 'should bands continue', compared to other bands such as 10cc, Eagles seem to be much more in agreement. We have all members who were members when Glenn passed approving and participating in the continuance. We have Glenn's family both approving (Cindy) and even participating (Deacon). Not sure what any other members of the Frey family think, but at least two members approve. This compares well to 10cc, Electric Light Orchestra, etc.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I've seen the current line up of 10CC. They were on the same bill as the Eagles a few years ago. Musically they were top notch but it was all pure retro, pretty much where Eagles are now. The main vocalist was fine. I'm sorry I can't remember his name. A little annoyingly, Graham Gouldman, as the authentic presence, seemed to feel an obligation to be a lot more high profile than was really necessary.

I'd watch them again if they were on a festival bill but I don't see them as headlining act. I would make an effort to see the original line-up, partly as they're local boys made good. The original quartet are definitely a major part of Manchester's pop music history and produced some enjoyable and highly distinctive music.
    Stewart has said that it irritates him that Gouldman always takes credit for things he didn't do. When I think of it, I've read Gouldman say "I think it was my idea to..." a few times.

I loved the GG songs too. Incidentally, I love a lot of the Godley & Creme stuff.