Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: London, England 3-20-08

Wonderful - have fun!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Well, thank heavens there was a full length setlist. Thanks to everyone for their thoughts so far.

This is a transcript of what I wrote when I go back:

Well, it’s 01.40 and I should be trying to sleep but I am so full of this evening that I shall try and make some notes now. As I write, I have the news on TV and watching the awful floods in the US – I sincerely hope you are all safe.

The fun started on the train up. GA and I were texting each other, then MF managed to get to a phone box and we spoke for the first time. We agreed to meet at her hotel at 2.30. My train was half an hour late, but it was only a 20 minute walk to the hotel and we met as planned. More of our meeting later, as on to the concert!

The O2 is a great venue. Easy to get to and loads of restaurants and bars, all under the cover of the ‘infamous’ Dome. MF, GA & Timtot had gone to their ILAA reception, so after a walk around I found a bar playing LROOE and ordered a glass of wine. Listening to the album (especially track 4!) & sipping wine is a sublime experience.

6.45, and time to head to the arena. I took my seat next to a couple from Harlech (in Wales). Their son had bought them tickets as a surprise. My seat was wonderful – great unimpeded view of the stage and also of the big screen. We chatted about the Eagles and our children, then I spotted M G & T, in SECOND ROW CENTRE FRONT BLOCK!!!! I’ll leave it to them to tell you about what happened at the ILAA reception!

The concert was scheduled to start at 7.30, but it was 7.50 when the lights when down, the supporting players came on, and everyone started cheering. Then four figures made their way onto the stage, the lights came up and they launched off with ‘How Long’. I have to say they were spot on. If the CMT awards performance was good, this was much better – what a great opener. All four were in their BBF suits and looked fantastic. Glenn’s hair was slightly longer and softer… Next song was ‘Busy Being Fabulous…’ Oh boy…

At this point, the girl who had bought my spare ticket arrived. She was a New Zealander, living in London, and was very friendly and chatty, and a great companion to share an Eagles concert with!

Glenn greeted us and talked about LROOE, introducing Tim and Joe. Tim sang ‘I Don’t Want To Hear Any More’, and Joe did ‘Guilty Of The, Crime’. Straight after, the set went dark, and Chris Mostert did his trumpet solo straight into ‘Hotel California’ – Don in his suit and drumming, and Steuart and Joe outstanding on the guitar solo.

I didn’t know what to expect next. That rehearsal review last week suggested a reduced setlist. Imagine my joy hearing the opening chords of PEF!! Superb!! Next was ICTYW (my neighbour loved this). Steuart played Glenn’s guitar solo, while Glenn moved to piano. Don sung OOTN from his drums, then moved forward to sing BOS. This is the song I thought would get people up! Glenn introduced ‘Lyin Eyes. Everyone started to sing.. I was still wondering what would come up next! Don said ‘Roight’ in a perfect cockney accent, then they finished off the first half with what Don called ‘their theme song’ – ‘The Long Run’. More to follow…

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

More YouTube - not good quality but oh well!

Clip of Lyin' Eyes

Clip of Take It Easy

Sounds like the guys were playing and looking great (love it when Glenn's hair is a bit longer).

If they consider "the Long Run" their theme song, no wonder they keep it! Has Glenn finally dropped the "Plaintiff" joke when introducing Lyin' Eyes?

Can't wait for the next part, GEF!

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by SodaScouts
    Has Glenn finally dropped the "Plaintiff" joke when introducing Lyin' Eyes?
    No! But he got a bit of help this time!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

OK, Plaintiff joke going into 7th or 8th year now. Perhaps he views it as a trademark.

Wretched quality, but someone captured Waiting in the Weeds! Put this is the "slightly better than nothing" category.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZxLcvDK-Dc

While we're waiting, a fan review from Tania - GEF, you and I met her in Wales.

Tania's review

Stuck on the Border

From what I could see and hear, they looked & sounded great. What a fantastic set!

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

OK!
    Now that the kids are finally asleep and hubby is at work I can finally go into some more uninterrupted detail.

I don't think there's much about the actual gig that I can add to whats has already been said but I'll give you some insight into the ILAA reception and also have a few pics to post.

Well as GEF said myself and herself were texting each other intermittently through the day and I was relieved when we finally managed to link up with MF as well. Nevertheless I was quite nervous as TT and I got off the train at North Greenwich. We were just so excited as we headed over to the ILAA desk where MF was waiting for us. We spent a short while catching up and chatting to each other until TT, MF and I thought we'd better make ourselves known to the ILAA people. We duly did and signed in, getting our laminated passes and headed up to the reception. I thought it would be packed but there were only about 15 people including ourselves. Then came the moment we'd been waiting 9 weeks for ....our tickets.

Well you can imagine our sheer joy when we realised we were in the second row
    I thought it wouldn't get any better until I texted GEF. She asked me what block and when I told her A2 this was her reply......
    "Middle front! Brilliant"
    Our hostess asked could she 'borrow' TT to help with the raffle. This kept TT occupied for about 20 minutes, as she pulled out tickets and checked at the tables and picked out prizes for the lucky winners. And guess who hit out the 'Jackpot'. Yep! MF!!!!
    A SIGNED copy of the LROOE CD. Needless to say she was over the moon! We were given our 'special gift' of a diary with a leather cover embossed with the LROOE logo. The meal was surprisingly good quality and very tasty. And of course before we headed down to the gig I just had to follow Glenn 's advice with my credit card and took it to the limit with a gorgeous hoodie zipped fleece, a limited edition lithograph, T-shirts for myself and TT and a baseball cap for my son!
    Well when I saw the seats we had I nearly flipped. Actually I think I DID flip! It was just so exciting to see how big that stadium was and to think that I was in row 2 RIGHT UNDER GLENN 'S MIC! I was near enough that if I had had anything with me that I could have thrown up to him he'd have caught it!
    About 7:50pm the lights went down and we could see the lads coming out and taking their places in the dark. Imagine our excitement when MF and I saw Glenn come out. Woo Hoo Hoo! We realised that as anticipated they were indeed in their suits. Beautiful black jackets and pants with pristine white shirts and black ties. And how fabulous they looked. And Glenn....
    The lights came on, the music started and Glenn started the opening song..How Long. I turned TT to her left and said 'There's Tim', and she have him a beaming smile ....... omly to be rewarded with a wave from him.

Well GEF has pretty much recounted the first half of the gig but I really must point out a few things:

I had a feeling Glenn looked over at me early on in the first half but couldn't be sure. Then a little later (possibly during OOTN although MF may have to clarify this - I was too taken by the moment) he DEFINITELY made eye contact with us. And just as I was reeling from it and wondering if it had happened MF said to me 'He saw us! He definitely saw us'

I think at one earlier stage too Joe was looking at me and the expression on his face was 'Hey, I'm here too'. Now I could be imagining that, but I hadn't really expected any acknowledgement from any of them. So it came as a surprise.

MF took plenty of notes so I'm sure she will have a great review and with many more technical details than I have. As expected my eyes never left Glenn all night! I'm even more in love with him now than I was before (and I thought that would be impossible). I have to see a Glenn show on his own, and I have to meet him. Sometime!

Pics to follow!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP