Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Deacon and the Future

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Default Re: Deacon and the Future

Welcome back AT. That's a good point about songwriting since we don't know yet if he does. However, I know a lot of other musicians, especially in the country genre that don't write their own songs but pair up with other song-writers that do. I forgot Lee Ann Womack's daughter Aubriee Sellers is out now too and I've actually heard her played on country radio as well as Thomas Rhett.

In Deacon's case I do feel a bit like history is repeating itself as I feel Dhani Harrison, George Harrison's son, went through a lot of similar stuff and where he is now as a musician. He too debuted during a concert in tribute of his dad and resembling his dad. However, I know Dhani had a hard time trying to do his own music after this and it was hard on him being compared so much to his dad. He only just within the past 4 years has started singing his father's music again and talking about his dad. Dhani is very talented though and I loved his bands Thenewno2 and Fistful of Mercy. He's also done scoring for films and TV shows lately and just announced his first solo album is coming out in October so a lot of good has been happening for him.

So I'm hoping things go well for Deacon if/when he starts his own career. He's got so many connections and people to help him out.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Border Rebel

Depending on Deacon's musical taste, maybe Don and/or Joe will write some music with him. That would be a great learning experience and an excellent kick-off to his career!

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Interesting posts from everyone !
    Irving will be 70 in December.
    Thanks for the article. Sounds like Irving is setting up his son to take his place. Who ever thought the scruffy unknown guy from the 70's would become one of the most powerful people in the music business. Glenn and Don made a smart move when they hocked up with Irving in 1974 after Geffen sold Asylum and gave up managing the Eagles.
    Yep, it is interesting how things turned out at the end of the day the music biz is a small world and Azoff was in the rignt place at the right time just like Glenn, Don H, Don F, Randy and Bernie. That being said other equally deserving and talented people of the same time period were passed by and/or failed to flourish for one reason or another. I think Azoff could very well have been the key that opened the door to the Eagles phenonomenal success over the past 4 plus decades.

This is a very good article about Irving Azoff ...aka the Jewish Dennis the Menace - Glenn Frey

http://www.theuncool.com/journalism/rs267-irving-azoff/
    Last edited by Dawn; 07-22-2017 at 10:20 PM.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

@buffyfan145 I wasn't aware of Dhani Harrison's forthcoming album. I've heard the sample track (plus excerpt) and it's interesting. I'll look forward to hearing the full album when it is released.

I see the point of country artists often not writing their own songs. I guess that Azoff could rope in top country songwriters, producers, musicians, for Deacon, and pretty much guarantee success.

@mary - Tim too!

@Dawn - who would you say were the equally talented people who were passed over for success in comparison to Eagles members?

I wasn't aware Deacon wanted to pursue a musical career before all this happened. I know he dabbled when he was younger, but did he want to pursue it seriously when he was older? I thought he had gone into the engineering/production side, although I suppose one could do both.

It's important to note, though, that just because he got enlisted for this doesn't mean he was necessarily planning on being a recording artist.

But that was then, and this is now.

He doesn't have to be a songwriter to make it work. Nowadays, you can just have other people writing songs for you. He has a strong voice, but even if he didn't, there's autotune, and a person can fudge it live to a degree as long as that person has stage presence. He's got connections. He's good-looking. While he's somewhat rough now onstage, he's already doing well, and he'll become more comfortable and polished over time.

He's got a special problem, though. Most people start at the bottom and work their way up - even the kids of rock stars don't start out playing arenas. Because he's been thrust into his father's position at the top at the very beginning and apparently is now going to spend years there, how is he going to adapt to what happens after?

The only way to deal with that is to have such a passion for what you do that it doesn't matter.

Does he have that passion?

Time will tell.

If he does choose to become a recording artist, country is indeed more friendly towards the songwriting-by-committee approach. He doesn't really have a country timbre in my opinion, though, but modern country is quite broad, so who knows. After all, weren't the Eagles marketing themselves as country a few years ago?

Wishing him the best whatever he chooses.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Last year Deacon attended school studying production/engineering. I had also assumed he wanted to work in that end of the business. Deacon is talented, good looking, and has all the contacts to pursue any kind of musical career he wants. I just hope he pursues HIS dreams and not what other people expect of him. I'm sure Glenn (and Cindy) want him to do what he wants to do and what will make him happy. I see this as a temporary gig.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I did see from the Eagles FL FB page that interview Irving did with Sirius/XM before the West show he mentioned how Glenn used to talk about Deacon going into music and joking that even though Deacon looked better than him (Glenn) he still didn't write as good as him. LOL So I take it Deacon's been wanting to but no one was expecting how this would all turn out. And of course now with the other shows being announced he'll be with the band for awhile so this will be farther off in the future. But like we know with most musicians once you get the taste of it it's hard to quit.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm1968 View Post
    I hope that that wherever Glenn Frey is that he is aware that there are lots of people still pulling for his band and his son.
    Agreed.

As I've said in other threads, I would hope for Deacon to use this experience to propel him into the spotlight so that he can build his own career rather than ride on his dad's coattails, or be coerced into trying to fit his image by Irving.

Deacon IS talented, and I personally would like to see him do something in music, but not necessarily be a caricature of his Dad for the rest of his life. There was and is only one Glenn Frey, that sounds like him, has the immense talent. And sadly he is gone. Deacon is Deacon, Vince is Vince. And that's ok, but IMO not so much when you make them or they try to be Glenn, because they're not.

It would be lovely if somehow he formed a band on the side with some age-appropriate members and played music they want to play, maybe create some originals, or whatnot and for them to get traction in the music industry via using the Eagles as a big megaphone and help Deacon get heard by the masses.

If writing isn't his thing, there is certainly room for him in the Nashville world where you don't write your own songs and nowadays if you are slightly pitchy, can be corrected with AutoTune at the front of house or in the recording studio. Modern country IS very broad, you have Lynyrd Skynyrd swampy southern rock types, EDM/Pop/RnB sounding artists, more traditional swinging twangy singers, and even some that are doing Rap/Hip-hop influenced music. There is a big net in Nashville. The traditional swinging side is getting less and less. I like most modern country, especially the classic rock throwback sounding stuff. He certainly could have a place there if he proves to do well with the guys and gets traction.

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    As I've said in other threads, I would hope for Deacon to use this experience to propel him into the spotlight so that he can build his own career rather than ride on his dad's coattails, or be coerced into trying to fit his image by Irving.

Deacon IS talented, and I personally would like to see him do something in music, but not necessarily be a caricature of his Dad for the rest of his life. There was and is only one Glenn Frey, that sounds like him, has the immense talent. And sadly he is gone. Deacon is Deacon, Vince is Vince. And that's ok, but IMO not so much when you make them or they try to be Glenn, because they're not.

It would be lovely if somehow he formed a band on the side with some age-appropriate members and played music they want to play, maybe create some originals, or whatnot and for them to get traction in the music industry via using the Eagles as a big megaphone and help Deacon get heard by the masses.

If writing isn't his thing, there is certainly room for him in the Nashville world where you don't write your own songs and nowadays if you are slightly pitchy, can be corrected with AutoTune at the front of house or in the recording studio. Modern country IS very broad, you have Lynyrd Skynyrd swampy southern rock types, EDM/Pop/RnB sounding artists, more traditional swinging twangy singers, and even some that are doing Rap/Hip-hop influenced music. There is a big net in Nashville. The traditional swinging side is getting less and less. I like most modern country, especially the classic rock throwback sounding stuff. He certainly could have a place there if he proves to do well with the guys and gets traction.
    I agree.

Personally, I think Deacon should be wary of compromising his own identity as time progresses and he becomes more entrenched. There are other options.