Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Deacon and the Future

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Deacon and the Future

I agree. I wish Deacon all the best, but if he wants to go into the music business, I hope he can find his own place. Not as a stand-in for his dad.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm1968 View Post
    "Riding on coattails?" I am glad that he is Glenn's son or there is no telling what would be said about him.

I am happy he did so well and if that's what he wants to do from now on, I am all in. I am proud of him. I would love to hear new music from them in the future. I support the band.

This is still an Eagles site, right?
    There is definitely a difference of opinion here.

"This is still an Eagles site, right?". Yes, but we are going to disagree on calling the new lineup "Eagles". Because to me it's not even close without Glenn.

Regardless, there is STILL a forum here for those who would like to discuss the new band, and I (and I think most) try to stay out of the anticipation and review threads when people are looking forward to it or sharing their experience, but in other threads, there is going to be disagreements and dialogue, there just is. I don't think it's right for those of you who like the new band to be kept from discussing it, but I also don't think those of us who are very much against it should just keep quiet because it's still "Eagles" and Deacon is involved.

If you thought what I said about Deacon was bad, I'm sorry. I think if anything, it's becoming harder and harder to try and discuss what we believe in without people getting upset. We're all biased, and we all have a place here IF we can do so without beating each other up for sharing what we feel about this very polarizing part of the band's history. Maybe there will be two separate sections on New and Classic Eagles, to keep everyone happy. Certainly not telling Soda what to do, but I really wish that both sides can share our pleasure or distaste freely.

What grinds my gears is when one side tries to silence the other. That's not cool.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

I think that a number of children of famous musicians have found a balance between keeping their parent's legacy alive, and having their own career. Dweezil Zappa does both concerts of his father's music, but also releases his own albums in his own style. Dhani Harrison participates in 'George-fests', but again releases his own music in his own style. Deacon has been catapulted into the limelight, but that doesn't mean that he is limited to only working as a tribute to his father. He could do both - if he wants to.

Stuck on the Border

I enjoy reading about the music industry and speculating about what might happen, but I'm doing it as an outsider. I don't really know what it takes to be a success or what the risks are.

Deacon Frey has grown up in that world. Undoubtedly, he's been backstage and mixed with rocks stars, sidemen and crew. He's grown up with a father who was very knowledgable and smart about the music industry and he's also had Irving Azoff in his life since he was a baby. People who are close to them, talk about the "Eagles family" (I was just rereading Joe Vitale on the subject) and Deacon is part of and protected by that.

I know very little about Deacon. He's been kept out of the limelight, mostly, up until now. His brief forays have been when performing with is father. He hasn't gone the way of using his father's reputation to get exposure through reality tv. I don't have a clue if he has his own band an goes out to play clubs at weekends, but just because I don't know doesn't mean he doesn't do something. If he's been doing a course on music production, then doesn't that show a serious interest in being part of music industry? Many musicians are producers and vice versa. I'm not going to dismiss his talents just because I don't know what they are.

The "Eagles" gig is huge in terms of reputation but, now he's learned his parts, possibly not that time-consuming. Four shows in four months would allow time for other projects.

Silence you? No. Trying to reason with you is more like it. Just let me ask you this: Do you think Glenn would be happy with what is being said here? Just consider it.

Some are really upset that Glenn is gone and the band didn't quit. I get it. I can even understand it somewhat, but some of these posts are bordering on bitterness. That's just my opinion.

I really hope Deacon or Cindy doesn't read any of this.
    You make it sound like I called him the devil or something, redstorm. The coattails thing means I would like him (and hopefully he'd be on board) to move away from being in his dad's shadow for the rest of his life. Not only for his well being of having his own identity, but yes also because it's a bit weird to start at the top and just be put into that position and not have to do much work to get there, and yeah that bothers me some. I'd like to think that Glenn would also like to see his son do his own thing at some point and not be forced to play his roles. It's not that I care so much about what HE wants to do, as Don and Irving want him to do. I would like to think Deacon will be able to say when he's done with it.

I feel the same way about Vince, as far as the second part of that statement. Vince has contributed nothing to the history of this band and now all of a sudden it's like people see him as an equal to DH or JW or TBS, and that's just silly. Call me back when he's made records with them that sold successfully and made hit music and contributed to the extent Don or Glenn has, not just singing the hits that Glenn Frey and Don Henley and others have put the work into and just sit back and reap the benefits and money when it isn't even your own gig, where this is like a side job. I just don't respect him in the Eagles the way I do Don or the others. As a solo artist, you betcha. Talented guy. Not Eagles. Just my thoughts.

Reasoning with me, sounds an awful lot like trying to get me to just agree that this new Eagles is just amazing to some degree be it verbatim how I described it, or some lesser form, and I'm afraid we'll just never see eye to eye there. Sorry. You will never get me to see that it's ok for the band to continue under any circumstance or that it is ok for money to overcome doing IMO the right thing. What you could get me to "reason on", is the fact that Glenn would have wanted it this way. Maybe he did. My gut says otherwise but I'm not saying I knew Glenn. I DO think he'd be proud of Deacon regardless if he wanted it to continue or not. And he should be, Deacon is very talented and did a good job. Even I'll admit it. But the fact is, even if Glenn did want it, it just doesn't feel right to me. At all.

Let me just say it this way, if I really thought anything I've said would be so out of character and mean about Glenn's son, I wouldn't have said it. But I refuse to be zipped lipped when I see people pretending like it's no big deal and that this is somehow a great thing, and maybe even better or that Vince is an equal or an "Eagle". I'm sorry, but no. If that makes me bitter, then it's just another badge.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I agree with you AT and UTW. It does seem like from what I've read about Deacon he has been wanting to do something in the music industry for quite some time. I too hope the best for him and if/when he does go out on his own. There are quite a few examples that we've seen of children of famous musicians, actors, directors, and athletes make it on their own. He does have a lot of help if he wants it. That's why I feel country music might be a better fit too with the songwriters a lot use and how a lot of families are in the business, and how the Eagles are such a huge influence on modern country music.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

I really hope Deacon or Cindy doesn't read any of this.
    Deacon is a man, not a child.

This is an Eagles board and we are typically gentle when talking about Deacon. People have been almost universally positive and even the negatives are soft. That is not always the case elsewhere on the internet when people talk about him. Some comments are positive, some aren't... which is perfectly normal. That's how it works.

I'm sure he knew that he wasn't going to get universally adored going in and was prepared for it. He is a public figure now.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I feel the same way about Vince, as far as the second part of that statement. Vince has contributed nothing to the history of this band and now all of a sudden it's like people see him as an equal to DH or JW or TBS, and that's just silly. ,
    Vince sang "I Can't Tell You Why" on the Common Threads album, which went triple platinum, spun off a video and re-ignited the Eagles into reforming in 1994. So he did contribute something, it may not be much in the grand scheme of things but that album is part of Eagles history. Whether or not he is "equal" to the remaining Eagles (whatever that means) is a matter of personal preference and opinion.

There have been disagreements for sure, but I haven't seen anyone trying to "silence" anyone else; however there was a comment on Eagles 3.0 to the effect of "if you don't like what you read here, don't come here" which comes close.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

I created a new thread for people to discuss how they feel about Vince Gill in this forum, if people would like to do so.

Anyway, I think it's safe to say that everyone here wants Deacon to do what makes him happy and wishes him success.

Quote Originally Posted by buffyfan145 View Post
    There are quite a few examples that we've seen of children of famous musicians, actors, directors, and athletes make it on their own. He does have a lot of help if he wants it. That's why I feel country music might be a better fit too with the songwriters a lot use and how a lot of families are in the business, and how the Eagles are such a huge influence on modern country music.
    To combine these ideas - are there sons / children of country musicians who have had success? I remember Hank Williams Jr, but that's way back. Crystal Gayle was Loretta Lynn's sister, but again, way back.... and not really a daughter... but my knowledge of country music is spotty. I've listened to it here and there.