Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Deacon and the Future

Default Re: Deacon and the Future

I moved a few posts to the Vince thread, if anybody's wondering where they went.

So, it seems from what Joe says that the tentative plan is that they are going to do a few of these "classic" shows per year, for as many years as they feel like doing them. 2 years, 3, 5, 10... what have you.

I wonder what that means for Deacon?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Out on the Border

I've been saying for years (as have a lot of other fans, no doubt) that Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr should formulate a tour with Dhani Harrison and Julian Lennon. I think it could literally be the biggest tour ever.

What the Eagles have done with the Classic shows proves that an amalgam of original members + their progeny can work (Van Halen is another band with a member's son filling in). I'm eager to see what happens with Deacon and the Eagles after the Seattle show next month. Would love to see a full tour with the Henley/Walsh/Schmit/Gill/Li'l Frey lineup - I assume a new original album is too much to ask for!

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlanketMan View Post
    I've been saying for years (as have a lot of other fans, no doubt) that Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr should formulate a tour with Dhani Harrison and Julian Lennon. I think it could literally be the biggest tour ever.

What the Eagles have done with the Classic shows proves that an amalgam of original members + their progeny can work (Van Halen is another band with a member's son filling in). I'm eager to see what happens with Deacon and the Eagles after the Seattle show next month. Would love to see a full tour with the Henley/Walsh/Schmit/Gill/Li'l Frey lineup - I assume a new original album is too much to ask for!
    van Halen is slightly different as Wolfgang van Halen is not the son of the member he is replacing.

I believe that Jason Bonham has played drums with Led Zeppelin on some occasions, replacing his late father on the instrument.

What I'd like to see for Deacon is for him to do whatever he planned to do before these Classic shows, whether it's in music or something else, and not try to live his father's life or be his father. I don't think I'd be going out on too much of a limb here to say that I think Glenn would have wanted that - what parent doesn't want their children to follow their dreams? If what's left of the eagles tours, and I'm sure they will, Deacon will be living his father's life (and a pale imitation of it), not pursuing his own path.

And let's say they continue for another 5-10 years, what happens when Henley, Joe, and Timothy really can't continue anymore? Deacon would have started out on top, without all the work that goes into getting there. Where would he go from that? There's nowhere to go from the top but down. But maybe he'll be content to live off the money he made from this and his inheritance. I'm sure even now he doesn't have to work a day in his life.

I can't imagine this would be very fun for Deacon, as they go on. A young guy in his 20s would want to party after the show, see whatever city he happens to be in, and Henley, Joe, and Timothy, all 70 or pushing 70, will be ready for bed. Vince Gill isn't exactly young either. Deacon will have the rock & roll without all the fun stuff that goes with it.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Couldn't agree with you more, groupie!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Deacon is 24 years old, a year older than Glenn was when the Eagles first started. He's not a child. He's old enough to decide what he wants to do with his own life, regardless if others approve or not.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Brooke - thanks!

Delilah - of course, he can do whatever he wants. This is a thread to discuss Deacon's future and that's what I'm doing...of course nothing any of us think matters to him in any way, nor should it.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I agree too and hope he does get to do whatever he was planning to do originally. But if he does want to continue in music on his own he totally should.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Stuck on the Border

I think of it as more like putting in a few hours with the family business but being free to explore his own interests for the rest of the time. It sounds like Henley has lots of other things he wants to be doing, so the Eagles duties will be far from full-time.

Deacon may not be starting at the bottom, but think of it as an accelerated learning program. He's gaining exeprience of a large organisation with mentoring from the people at the top.

Still, I have been thinking of how different his experience must be from his father's at that age but if it's only for a few weeks at a time, I expect he'll cope with mixing with the old fogeys.

Quote Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
    What I'd like to see for Deacon is for him to do whatever he planned to do before these Classic shows, whether it's in music or something else, and not try to live his father's life or be his father. I don't think I'd be going out on too much of a limb here to say that I think Glenn would have wanted that - what parent doesn't want their children to follow their dreams? If what's left of the eagles tours, and I'm sure they will, Deacon will be living his father's life (and a pale imitation of it), not pursuing his own path.

And let's say they continue for another 5-10 years, what happens when Henley, Joe, and Timothy really can't continue anymore? Deacon would have started out on top, without all the work that goes into getting there. Where would he go from that? There's nowhere to go from the top but down. But maybe he'll be content to live off the money he made from this and his inheritance. I'm sure even now he doesn't have to work a day in his life.

I can't imagine this would be very fun for Deacon, as they go on. A young guy in his 20s would want to party after the show, see whatever city he happens to be in, and Henley, Joe, and Timothy, all 70 or pushing 70, will be ready for bed. Vince Gill isn't exactly young either. Deacon will have the rock & roll without all the fun stuff that goes with it.
    Bingo!

I hope with the time he has not doing Eagles that he does his own thing. I really hope he can stand up to Irving and Don and say enough's enough when he's bored or not feeling it. Glenn would want him to follow his dreams, 100 percent.

I hope if music is his thing that he does his own thing and creates music he likes and plays music with age appropriate people and he has success with it.