Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Henley Runaway Tour in Dallas, TX - July 23, 2017.

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

Default Re: Don Henley Runaway Tour in Dallas, TX - July 23, 2017.

NKIT - In my opinion, he did talk more easily about Glenn though it looked like the emotions were still right there below the surface. In the above story about songwriting, he looked a little reflective/wistful when he spoke of first writing with Glenn. Or at least that is how it looked to me - like he enjoyed remembering how he and Glenn could be totally honest with each other.

And again to me, he was beaming and once looked like he was on the verge of tears when he talked about Deacon and what a fine job he did in LA and how proud his dad would have been of him. The emotion was clearly showing then.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Thanks HB so much for all of the posts!!!
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Baby View Post
    6th question: A man from Cass County Illinois.
    Was he really from Cass County, in Illinois? If so that is extremely, extremely close to where I live and I'm honestly surprised someone from this area made the trek and had the ability to go. I'm not trying to sound bad, but seriously. That's awesome. The Cass County I'm thinking of is a very remote, redneck area and most people wouldn't go to something like this. It has to be a different place. lol

HB......thank you..sounds like Don's responses were detailed and honest. What a special night

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Was he really from Cass County, in Illinois? If so that is extremely, extremely close to where I live and I'm honestly surprised someone from this area made the trek and had the ability to go. I'm not trying to sound bad, but seriously. That's awesome. The Cass County I'm thinking of is a very remote, redneck area and most people wouldn't go to something like this. It has to be a different place. lol

He said he was Austin. 😊 And that is how we all received a history & geography lesson from Don regarding the Cass counties of the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Baby View Post
    He said he was Austin. 😊 And that is how we all received a history & geography lesson from Don regarding the Cass counties of the US.
    Wow! I'd be curious which town in Cass County....

Border Desperado longtimeeaglesfan's Avatar

HB - Thanks for posting the Q&A here...no small feat considering the amount of questions that were asked during the session!

It was an incredible experience at both the concert itself and the Q&A. We had seats in the third row, slightly right of center at both the concert and the Q&A. I am glad they allowed a few photos to be taken.

I didn't ask any questions but during the photo session my fiance told him that he inspired me to propose during the concert. (near the end of Desperado.) He congratulated us. I told him that "I had to let somebody love me before it was too late!", which made him laugh.

He did seem to really enjoy himself at the concert (as he said he did because his voice was well rested and he could relax more and not be as concerned with hitting the right notes.

It was great to see him so at ease and happily answering questions - a more relaxed Don Henley than sometimes his reputation garners!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I totally agree LTEF! At the concert, Don seemed to be so excited & happy and then at the Q&A, he seemed much more relaxed than last year. Plus he was smiling lots more. He seemed to be having a great time!

And congratulations on the upcoming nuptials! You should have shared that story at the Q&A. Everyone would have loved it!

Did Don say or even Runaway Tour if they will do more with Don? I know he said he would like to do more when he said that last year. IF I didn't have my 20th class reunion next year(we're going a cruise), I would save just in case Don decided to do it again next year. I think he will since he seems to enjoy and more comfortable at these things. 3 hours with Don and then a picture with him after, it is worth the money. Is the picture session included in that 3 hours or a separate time.

IMO Don should do a birthday concert every year. LOL

As I watched the videos from this weekend, Don sounded great.

Congrats to you and your finacee, longtimeeaglesfan

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Question 13: A lady from Las Vegas. She asked why they quit performing songs from the album LROOE after the tour for that album. Don went through the songs they did sing on tour, with the help of many in the audience, and he said that BBF was hard to sing. He said it was a good question and he didn’t have a definitive answer except that they decided there were other songs that people wanted to hear. He said that it was how things worked, that people wanted to hear songs from a certain time period in their life, that they wanted to hear things from the past. He said that after every concert they would gauge the reaction from the audience, judging from the amount of applause, etc. Then he said that sometimes they rebel and decide to play a song they want to play anyway. He said that at the end they had honed it down to a greatest hits sort of thing, but that going forward, with the changes in the band they’ll dig down and do some of those other songs, because they really should. Everyone seemed to agree. He mentioned that radio is to blame for some of it, that they will not play newer songs which doesn’t let people get accustomed to the new stuff like they did the old stuff. He reminded us that Cass County didn’t get played hardly at all on radio, and it was because he was over 40. He said he could do a whole sermon about corporate radio but he wouldn’t. He said that it used to be that local radio stations could play what they wanted, but now their playlists are handed down to them from the corporate conglomerate. He said some writers like Leonard Cohen got better as they got older, but instead of playing that music, we get treated to plastic bubblegum crap. Radio was programmed to the young not people his/our age. So though he wasn’t going to give the whole sermon he gave us the Reader’s Digest condensed version of radio nowadays.
    Question 14: A lady from Richmond, VA. She said she’d read an interview in RS with him where he said he’d been under a lot of pressure to release a song before it was finished, and she wondered what songs he’d felt were unfinished and if there were any songs he’d like to finish now. He didn’t know the year the interview was published, so he didn’t know what song she may have been referring to, but he laughed and said that many would tell us that he could work on a song for a millennium and never consider it finished. He said sometimes a song finished itself and other times it didn’t and you’d need to bluster your way through to get it done. He said that sometimes he’s written a song where he wrote the ending first, and some where he wrote the middle first. He said that not all songs on an album are equal. Some are filler, but that they always tried to make each song the best it could be. (VA -I wish I could have told him that it shows).
    Question 15: A lady from San Francisco. She said she loved his duets, and she didn’t think there’s been another artist that has mastered the duets like he has. She mentioned Trisha Yearwood and Axl Rose, which got a good laugh from him as he mentioned the big leap between the two, and she said that was her point. She wondered if at the time of recording, he’d known any of them would be hits. He said you never knew for sure what would be a hit. He said it had been pretty obvious to him that Walkaway Joe with Trisha would be a hit. Leather and Lace had been a ‘maybe’. He said that often duets are done to give a song more clout, a bigger chance of being a hit. He talked about he and Dolly singing When I Stop Dreaming, and how she had asked for the key to be changed, it was too high for her. Don politely told her that everything had already been done in that key so Dolly told him that she guessed she would ‘need to rare back and get it’. He said she did it in about 2 or 3 takes and then was gone. We looked around and wondered what just happened. He also talked about Merle and how he was not happy with doing so many takes. He said Merle came to his studio in Dallas with his whole entourage, and Merle told him he really liked the song (The Cost of Living) and Don said that was good because he wrote it with Merle in mind. Merle then asked him – ‘Don, what’s happened to the music’ (today’s music) and Don told him he felt we’d gotten too far from the land, too far from the church, and Merle agreed with him. So it was all good until he made Merle do 18 takes. He said finally Merle stormed into the control room asking ‘is this a f’n joke’ and Don said ‘no sir’, he (Don) felt he was back to calling him ‘sir’. He told Merle he was trying to find a particular sound, something about a baritone, I missed it as the lady next to me was talking. Whatever Don told him, Merle’s response was that he believed Don was looking for a younger man. Don said Stan elbowed him and said, “That’s a great song title.” So they wrote it down. He said he was very honored and privileged to have sung with Merle, that Merle, George Jones, and Ray Charles were three of his favorite singers. Then he added Trisha Yearwood.
    Question 16: A man from Orlando. He wondered how long we could look forward to seeing Don perform, that if he wanted to at 80, there’d be a room full of people who would come and listen. Don replied that Leonard Cohen was close to 80 when he stopped. He said he looks at Mick Jagger, if only he could get that thin. He said that Keith Richards was a miracle. Then he got more serious and said there were two factors involved. One is their physical health. It may look easy up there, but it’s not, it’s athletics, especially playing the drums and singing at the same time. He said he works out before performing, stretches, riding a bike, all very different than the 70’s. He doesn’t drink on tour because alcohol swells the vocal cords, and he’d rather sing well than drink, although God knows sometimes he wants to. The second factor is if the people want to still come and hear them (they’ll find out in these next few gigs). As long as those two things hold out, we can count on a few more concerts.
    He said the thing at Dodger stadium a few days ago wasn’t their best work. They were a little nervous. There were technical things that went wrong. He felt he had to say that Deacon Frey, Glenn’s son, he was so proud of him. He was cool as a cucumber. He’s 24 years old, and has never played in front of an audience more than 100 – 150 people. Then he was in Dodger stadium, with 50,000 people, and he just killed it. He said that Vince Gill is one of the best singers and guitarists on the planet. He said he and Joe had a bad show, but the new guys did just fine. He said they had some new crew members and were ironing out some things. He said there will be a few more shows. There will be one in Seattle “at some point”, and one in Atlanta, and then they’ll see. It’s an experiment and they’ll see how it turns out. If the reviews from the LA show are any indication, things are looking pretty good. He said he won’t say it’s not strange up there without Glenn, because it is. He said that looking at Deacon from behind on stage, he swears his hair looks exactly like Glenn’s, it’s like looking at Glenn when he was that age. He said it was heartwarming and creepy at the same time, but it was a wonderful thing. At this point, Don, to me, seemed very emotional.
    All of this is only an hour and twenty minutes into it!

More to come…