Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Don Henley Runaway Tour in Dallas, TX - July 23, 2017.

Default Re: Don Henley Runaway Tour in Dallas, TX - July 23, 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    HB - Question - Was there any questions besides maybe family that were off limits with Don ? Did the organizers say not to discuss or ask Don certain questions ?
    I am glad you asked NKIT - that is something I wondered about as well. Had i been there I might have asked about the early days when Laurel Canyon was in full bloom if you catch my drift, lol.

In one of the post, Don did answer a question about his Will. So I guess it wasn't completely off limit.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Stuck on the Border

Dawn -I most certainly do - lol !
    I wonder if he discussed/talked about Glenn at any length.....

Shun - thank you for the reminder about Kenny and his kids records. I happily remember listening to them with my nieces and nephews. Boy, you are a music encyclopedia ! I am embarrassed to say I don't know some of the people/groups/music you post. I salute you and everyone else here who knows this stuff- God Bless Ya all !

I'm a huge Kenny Loggins fans and I saw him in concert once almost twice. I was going to see him this past March, but my accident stopped me. That was interesting that Don said he had Kenny Loggins playing to put his kids to sleep. I knew he was talking about Kenny's children albums since I heard for years by Kenny's fans that they would play his album to put their children to sleep.

Their are some artists I've been following for many years. Plus I loved country music(well 90s and older). That's why I know so much about Vince because I've been following him since I was 14. Plus I also look stuff up about artist.

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    HB - Question - Was there any questions besides maybe family that were off limits with Don ? Did the organizers say not to discuss or ask Don certain questions ?
    I did not hear the organizers say anything or make an announcement regarding that. On Saturday when we registered, the organizers said we could go to another table and leave a question that we wanted to ask Don. At that time, VA and I thought maybe they were going to screen the questions this year. However when we got there Sunday, people just raised their hand and asked away. Of course for the price we paid, you know everyone was a fan and would not say or ask a question that would offend Don. We all wanted our photo with him.

Thank you HB and VA!

I liked his response for Question 13 about how the songs aren't being played on the radio. They don't even promote new music on the classic rock or 80's and 90's stations that I listen to. The classic rock songs will repeat, and just the other day, I was a little surprised to hear the Stone Temple Pilots as 'classic rock.' I don't blame them for that, but it would be a nice change if they risked it.

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

Question 39: A man from Poquoson, VA (quite close to VA), and he and his wife were there to celebrate their 33rd anniversary. He asked Don how he relaxes (besides shopping at Whole Foods). Don said he likes to garden. Tomatoes, chili peppers. He likes to go fishing, go back to his hometown and sometimes take Richard with him and hang out there and fish. He’s usually working. He called it a 24/7 job. 100- 200 emails a day with Irving and others in the organization. He said it seems to be speeding up instead of slowing down, and at some point, it’s got to stop. He’s going with it now because he knows that not many people get the chance. He’d like to make more records, tour more, finish funding his charities. He’s got a list of things to finish. He’d like to take his kids to travel around the world. It’s all about health. He works on that really hard. He said he takes a fistful of vitamins every day whether they help him or not. He works out 3 or 4 times a week for an hour and a half or two hours, and before every show. I missed what he said right after this due to the chatty person beside me running her commentary, but he ended with saying he didn’t want to stink (I think) or start giving half-assed performances. He’d rather quit, he’d rather pump gas than do that.
    Question #40: A man from South Columbia, TN. Emerson is attributed a quote that says, ‘the years teach much, which the days never knew.’ He said he was curious, now that he’s so far along in his career, what the present-day Don Henley would say to the 20-year-old Don Henley. Don said, “Oooh.” Then he said we don’t have time here. He said he’d tell him he did a lot of things right, he made a lot of mistakes. He wasted some time. Some tangents, some side tracks. He said these types of questions you think about what you’d go back and change, but he couldn’t do that, because all the things he did made him who he is today. He learned from the mistakes. As the song says, “I have some regrets, but too few to mention.” He said you could go back and tell your younger self, but your younger self probably wouldn’t listen. So, it all worked out the way it was supposed to.
    Question #41: A lady from Salt Lake City, UT. She said he’d mentioned some pessimistic things about the future, she wondered what he was optimistic about, regarding the future. He mentioned the pessimistic things first…North Korea and the lunatic that runs it, he worried about that. Climate change, and the people that don’t believe it’s real. He’s talked to scientists, he’s traveled to places where the glaciers are melting at an unprecedented rate. He’s seen places where the sea level has risen already, and he worries about that. He has friends in the Silicon Valley that, with all the new technology, are extremely worried about artificial intelligence and that it may take over. He said he doesn’t lay awake nights thinking about this stuff, but it’s on his mind. He said the political scene is a mess. On the positive side, he sees incredible advances being made in the field of medicine. If his father had gotten the kind of treatment that he’d gotten, he’d have lived another twenty or thirty years (I THINK this is what he said, the lady beside me was again talking, this time saying what she thought he’d say next instead of what he actually said). He sees great advances in medicine, they saved his life back in 2010. Technology…the internet is an incredible thing. It’s good and bad, we tend to waste a lot of time on it. He doesn’t like the pop-up ads (he must not use an ad blocker, lol. I’ve not seen a pop-up ad in years.) The cell phone is a marvelous invention. He sees a lot of good things happening in technology. He sees people doing things about the environment. Texas, for example is one of the leading states in wind power. Electric cars are becoming more popular. Battery power is becoming more popular. He said the news is so alarmist, they’d have you think the world is just falling apart. In a lot of places, the prime rates are lower than they were ten years ago. There are a lot of good things happening, just tend not to hear about them because what sells news is tragedy and drama. The journalism of conflict. Music, on the other hand, is getting worse. There’s good stuff out there, but it’s like finding a needle in a haystack. He said maybe these difficult times will bring about better songwriting. Good songwriting occurs in times of turmoil, but we’re at the shallow end of the pool right now. He knows he sounds like an old fuddy-duddy when he says that, but it’s true. It’s all about trends and research and youth. When you get to our age and begin to know something, they don’t make music for us. He said he gets up every day, and it can be easy to slip over into the ‘glass is half empty’ thing a lot, but when it’s half empty it’s also half full. There’s a lot of good things happening in technology. He hopes we’ll get things sorted out in Washington, and get rid of radical partisanship, because nothing’s being done. There used to be something called statesmanship, where people reached across the aisle and worked with each other. Others may not have had the same beliefs as them, but they were willing to compromise in order to lift everyone up. It’s called the Common Good. These days all political rhetoric is designed to make us think that we have nothing in common. The rhetoric is to divide us now, and we’re not going to get anywhere that way. The rhetoric is designed to destroy all sense of common purpose. He feels someone is going to come along, they may only be ten or twenty years old right now, but they are going to come along and show some leadership and some common sense, and will appeal to a wide range of people. Someone shouted his name and he grinned and said, “No. I don’t want that job.” He said he didn’t know why anyone would want that job, it’s a no-win situation. He said he has to be optimistic because he has children. Things might get worse before they get better, but they will get better in the long run.
    Thirty more minutes to go. We apologize for this taking so long, but there’s this little thing called ‘work’…

Stuck on the Border

HB(&VA) - Thanks again for the awesome job!
    Question - Maybe I forgot, but what happened to Don in 2010 that saved his life ?

I was thinking the same thing, NKIT. I thought I read somewhere about it, but I forgot what it was about.

What health issues was Don having in 2010? If he did say medical advances could have saved his father (too bad that lady was talking at the time) then perhaps it involved a heart condition, which plagued his father, I believe. I'm glad he's fine now.

So much of what he said rings true, especially the gloom-and-doom alarmist headlines by the media.

No need to apologize, HB. You're doing a great service for Eagles fans.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...