Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Vince Gill

Default Vince Gill

A thread to discuss Vince Gill.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Default Re: Vince Gill

i think it was an interesting strategy to have both Vince and Deacon in the band.

One thing I thought of: If Deacon found that it was too much to perform in front of such a massive crowd, then would Vince have taken over on some of the songs that Deacon was scheduled to sing. It would have created an interesting safety net if Vince was prepped.

I wasn't very familiar with his music before this, but have been sampling some of it. He's more country than average Eagles music, but he has the vocal chops and guitar ability to play a role in post-Glenn Eagles.

Personally I think it's good that they've added someone with real talent and a profile to Eagles. Which is what they did with Joe, of course. I'm not saying there is a real chance that his songwriting skills are part of what they were looking for. But, I think it's interesting to note that such skills exist.

I presume that Vince will be at the forthcoming show. I guess that no-one knows what lies in the future beyond that.

It would be interesting to hear a song like "Don't Let Our Love Start Slipping Away" at a future show. Though, again, while that's an interesting idea, I don't think it will happen.

EDIT: Having heard a few more songs, I think that 'Never Alone' would work well at an Eagles concert.
    Last edited by Annoying Twit; 07-26-2017 at 01:51 PM.

Vince acquitted himself beautifully on "I Can't Tell You Why" for the "Common Threads" album. So I never was worried.

The great thing about Vince is he's willing to do whatever he's asked to do. Sing? Sure. Play Felder's guitar licks? No problem. Backing vocals? Easy-peasy. Talk to the press? Charm the pants off them.

As I've said, he and Glenn were friends and Glenn may have even played in Vince's charity golf tourney he has in Nashville every year. It wouldn't surprise me. So, if they were going to continue and find someone to add to the lineup, to me, Vince was a natural choice. I know I'm repeating myself, but he really is a fantastic singer and songwriter, and his musicianship is peerless. One of the best pickers in popular music, and that's the opinion of his peers, including guys like Keith Richards. Plus, he loves and respects the Eagles' music.

It takes a lot of pressure off Deacon's shoulders and adds a good spirit, too. So I see it as a win-win, since this is the route they decided to take.

I've been a fan of Vince's music since 1994 when I was 14. I only seen him in concert once. So when I heard Vince was joining the Eagles, I was soo happy. Vince in my favorite band.

Vince will be at the show this Saturday and probably will be at Seattle and any other shows that will be announced.

In an interview he did with Billboard, here's what Vince said.

Right now these are just one-off shows, but if they decided to tour, would you be willing?
    Are you kidding me? I'd be the first one on the bus. They probably don't take a bus, but I'll drive myself. I'll take my own car. You couldn't dream this up to get to go play in your favorite band – the most important American band in history.
    So unless Vince leaves(which I doubt) or they don't need him anymore, Vince will be with them for a while. I don't know what his status is, but I'm think he's with them for a while.

He's probably going to split his time with his solo career and the Eagles like Don and Joe does.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

I must become more familiar with 'Common Threads'.

I was shocked that Vince played a guitar solo on The Last Resort because I didn't think they gave him any solo since they had Steuart. They might give him more because Vince really shines when he does his guitar solo.

I also thought Vince sounded very good when he was harmonizing with Timothy and Don either when he's singing lead or harmonizing with them.

I loved that Don said Vince was one of the best singers and guitarist on the planet. I love hearing that from Don. For years, I always wanted Don and Vince sing with each other or be on the same stage. I got my wish when Vince was part of Don's album.

I doubt they will put any of Vince's songs in the show. They probably going to stay strictly Eagles song with the exception of Joe since he's been playing his solo songs in concert since he joined the Eagles.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

I like Vince Gill and if he wants to sing and play Eagles songs with Deacon Frey, DH, TBS and JW that's great! I just wish they'd perform under their own names or create a new name.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    I must become more familiar with 'Common Threads'.
    ^I really think you'll like it.

I love and respect Vince Gill, I always have, so I, too, am very happy to have him playing these awesome songs wiith these other guys whom I love.

Here's to you, Vince.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    I like Vince Gill and if he wants to sing and play Eagles songs with Deacon Frey, DH, TBS and JW that's great! I just wish they'd perform under their own names or create a new name.
    They could do like Yes factions do and go by their last names: Henley, Walsh, Schmit, Gill & Frey. Maybe it's too like a law firm though.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I love Vince and he's another I grew up with. I've seen him twice in concert, once on my 12th birthday and the other was with his wife Amy Grant. Also, his dad actually used to live here in Columbus in my maternal grandparents old neighborhood. My grandparents moved out when I was about like 6 or 7, but I do remember my uncle taking me by Vince's dad's house while we were walking down the street and him waving at us, but I never met him personally at least that I remember. Some of my family did know him and even went to the funeral and met Vince. And of course my Grandpa requested we play Vince's "Go Rest High on the Mountain" at his own funeral, which we did. I cried so much during that song. Just love Vince's voice, his version of ICTYW, and always loved when he used to host the CMAs in the 90s. LOL

I also wondered too if maybe Timothy can't hit some of the high notes as much since it seemed like Vince did do some of the higher harmonies on the songs, including Randy's part in "Take it Easy". He did a great job blending with the guys and filling in.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."