Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Vince Gill

Default Re: Vince Gill

Here's Vince with the guys over the years. Other than the picture from Classic West, their are no old pictures of Vince and Don together.

Last edited by shunlvswx; 07-27-2017 at 09:13 PM.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Stuck on the Border

Thanks Shun - look how young Vince is is that first picture. It looks like HFO period.

I think that was 1993 when Vince was doing the Common Thread album.

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Thanks for the pics Shun!!! I don't think I've ever seen them till now (besides the Don one).
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Also the still picture of Timothy in the studio in the HOTE documentary comes from that picture of him and Vince. They had just cropped Vince out.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 07-28-2017 at 11:15 AM.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

As many of you know I am not a fan of this reunion but it was nice to see that Vince's t-shirt paid tribute to Glenn in stating 'In Memory of the Lone Arranger'
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border

GAN - He wore the t-shirt saying that at the classic west? Gosh I missed that. I saw when he wore it to sing PEF after Glenn passed. Vince sure seems to be a very nice classy guy from everything I have read.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    GAN - He wore the t-shirt saying that at the classic west? Gosh I missed that. I saw when he wore it to sing PEF after Glenn passed. Vince sure seems to be a very nice classy guy from everything I have read.
    No, NKIT. Joe played Nashville last year and Vince came on stage and sang Take It To The Limit.

Stuck on the Border

Shun - TY - saw that video.

Out on the Border

I knew Vince Gill would be a great fit for the band. He's a true fan as well as a world-class musician, singer & songwriter. I'm not a huge fan of a lot of what passes for modern "country" music, but I do like to listen to great artists like Vince. Loved hearing him sing Take it to the Limit and I'm glad he didn't go for Randy's signature high flourish at the end of the song; I felt that he was doing honor and paying tribute to Randy. My heart wish is that Randy's health may improve enough that he can sit in, maybe play and who knows? Even sing a little, in a grand reunion show someday.

I do hope that this band stays together, does a limited tour to start with; cuts a new album. I was a little disappointed that Bernie was not with them, but then, even though he was great on the HOTE tour, and the guys seemed really pleased to have him with them, he seemed a little tense, as though he felt a little out of place. Maybe he'll join them from time to time, at least as an honored guest in a few shows.

I thought Deacon put on a fantastic performance too! Sure, he seemed a little nervous at first. Hell, it's his first big gig & it's only with the biggest American band ever! Not to mention, he had to know that literally millions of people will be watching those shows and comparing him to Glenn. His voice is deeper than Glenn's; he looks so much like Glenn but a lot like his mama too; he didn't come blazing out with Glenn's over-the-top joie de vivre, but he nailed his dad's songs, with his own voice, and I think that if the band stays together for awhile, the harmonies will settle in naturally to the new voice, and he'll honor his dad by making those songs his own. I'm glad he was out there with them; I literally cried as I watched the clips; wish I could have been there in that crowd. I'm glad they're making it clear that they're not "replacing" Glenn. They're going to do just fine if they move forward with Vince and Deacon. Remembering Glenn; honoring him; recognizing that he gave it his all, all the time, but... acknowledging that Glenn's gone. His beautiful smooth tenor is irreplaceable, and I'm relieved that they didn't try to find a "replacement".

It was great to see Bob Seger too, out there rockin it like a 30 year old. And yeah, Vince Gill is a good fit. Now that the guys are all 70-ish, they still sound great, but some of their contemporaries who would have been great additions to the Eagles (like Dan Fogelberg, John Denver, & Rick Nelson ) are gone, and Jackson Browne & J.D. are 70-ish, too. I'm sure that touring doesn't get any easier as you near your eighth decade, especially after having been out there recording and touring pretty steadily for 50 years or more.

I wouldn't mind seeing them bring in another big name, talented musician/singer/songwriter or two about Vince's age, a decade or so younger than Don, Joe, & Timothy, maybe from among some of the singers who came of age in the late 70s/early 80s. I hope nobody flames me for saying this; there's NOBODY who sounds like Don Henley, except Don Henley. But I could get behind Bryan Adams coming in on some of Don's parts. I've heard Don's voice described as "honey over sandpaper", and that's a great description. Bryan Adams isn't that, but he does have a great, sort of raspy rock n roll voice. Maybe take some of the strain off Don and Joe. Timothy sounds as ethereal as ever. I'd love to hear an Everly Brothers-type duet sung by Tim and Vince.

And there are some terrific female singers who could hold their own with the Eagles in a show, too. Martina McBride, Sheryl Crow, Amy Grant, Trisha Yearwood... just throwing that idea out there.

Anyway. Whatever Don and the guys decide to do, I'm with them. And if these shows are their "last dance", as Don hinted the other night, I believe that Deacon could successfully front a band in his own right. He did his dad proud, and more than that: he respected the fans, and he showed that he can put his own stamp on a song & come off great.