Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Vince Gill

Default Re: Vince Gill

@kittenz. Yes. What you said. Excellent post. Thank you for sharing your thoughts so eloquently.

Default Re: Deacon and the Future

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Vince sang "I Can't Tell You Why" on the Common Threads album, which went triple platinum, spun off a video and re-ignited the Eagles into reforming in 1994. So he did contribute something, it may not be much in the grand scheme of things but that album is part of Eagles history. Whether or not he is "equal" to the remaining Eagles (whatever that means) is a matter of personal preference and opinion.

There have been disagreements for sure, but I haven't seen anyone trying to "silence" anyone else; however there was a comment on Eagles 3.0 to the effect of "if you don't like what you read here, don't come here" which comes close.
    Obviously we aren't going to see eye to eye and that's fine.

But it was mostly Travis Tritt who made the Eagles get back together after making that video of TIE.

By equality I mean in terms of importance and contribution to the band as the other guys, the actual band members. Not as human beings.

Yes, he may have contributed something indirectly, but that's not the same as contributions by Frey, Henley, Walsh, Schmit, Felder, Meisner, and Leadon.

As far as the silencing thing in the 3.0 thread, when I posted something negative in the anticipation thread, I was NOT welcome. I feel it's only fair for those of us to speak freely in the 3.0 thread without worrying about people getting upset.

That's all I'll say. I'll post more in the Vince thread.
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 07-31-2017 at 11:17 PM.

After seeing some clips from both West and East, I have no idea why he's there.

I mean Deacon is singing PEF, which is about as smooth soft country as it gets, and he's even better at the rocking songs IMO and then you got Vince singing Heartache Tonight, and IMO can't deliver like Glenn or Bob. I think Deacon can.

Either give Vince all of the soft songs, and Deacon all of the rockers, or just let Deacon sing everything, which even though I'm against it, I'd rather see happen.

I think Vince is good, but I really don't understand why they feel they need him.

Sure, he could play Felder's parts but they have Steuart. And Deacon is doing Glenn's rhythm and solos. And Joe is going to play, well Joe's parts. And I think with 3 guitars, do they really need another guitar in the mix just strumming along? I think not. And if Deacon can sing PEF, he can sing Lyin' Eyes. NKIT too. And if he can sing Already Gone, he can sing Heartache Tonight.

I just don't see him as a necessary component of Eagles 3.0. I think Deacon is more than enough capable to sing the entire set. If he doesn't want to, fine. But Vince is just not actively contributing anything that the other guys can't do.

It's like they are using him for his name and lets have "Vince Gill" sing, and maybe people will forget about Glenn not being there. Vince Gill, is a bigger name than Deacon Frey (sadly), and maybe Irving and Don thought they needed that.

Border Rebel

Even if Deacon coukd or shoukd sing all of Glenn's songs -- which is certainly debatable -- they absolutely need Vince for his spot on backup vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by maryc2130 View Post
    Even if Deacon coukd or shoukd sing all of Glenn's songs -- which is certainly debatable -- they absolutely need Vince for his spot on backup vocals.
    True, but there wasn't an extra member just for BGV's before. I mean I definitely feel like his best area in the band right now is BGV's, but I guess I didn't realize Deacon couldn't sing backup. I guess then keep him for background vocals but certainly leave the rockers to Deacon. Vince on HT was awful, IMO. Eeek.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

It would have been very high risk to have just Deacon, and a lot of pressure on his shoulders. It could have backfired if Deacon found the pressure too much and was unable to perform. Having Vince Gill there creates a safety net.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    It would have been very high risk to have just Deacon, and a lot of pressure on his shoulders. It could have backfired if Deacon found the pressure too much and was unable to perform. Having Vince Gill there creates a safety net.
    I can understand that...

If it made Deacon more comfortable, I can understand it. Less work to do.

I just don't think he brings anything to the band that couldn't be found elsewhere or within the members they already have. I think he's just not a good fit, I guess.

Stuck on the Border

I think Deacon is still work-in-progress and that would have been even more true when they recruited Vince. It's better to have more talent than you need than to fall short.

I'll admit that I haven't been listening to the Vince Gill vocals so I'm not a good judge. My impression is he's blending in rather than standing out and that's probably deliberate.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Deacon and the Future

WF - I agree, I think it was more Travis Tritt than anything Vince did to get the Eagles back together. If he had not asked/insisted they be in his video who know what would have happened. However, that album sure woke the guys up as to their influence in county music.
    I know this is off topic for this thread. Sorry, I was just responding to the two above posts. Back to the talented Deacon Frey.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I think Vince has been doing well too but I already was a fan of his. Besides his own songs and guitar playing he's well knowing for harmonizing on many other people's songs. I posted earlier that I think he was brought in too as I've been wondering if it's getting harder for Timothy on some songs because of his age as most people's vocal range changes as we age. And maybe Timothy harmonizing with Deacon on TIE didn't sound the same since Deacon sings a bit lower than Glenn.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."