Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Vince Gill

Default Re: Vince Gill

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    After seeing some clips from both West and East, I have no idea why he's there.

I think Vince is good, but I really don't understand why they feel they need him.

Sure, he could play Felder's parts but they have Steuart. And Deacon is doing Glenn's rhythm and solos. And Joe is going to play, well Joe's parts. And I think with 3 guitars, do they really need another guitar in the mix just strumming along? I think not. And if Deacon can sing PEF, he can sing Lyin' Eyes. NKIT too. And if he can sing Already Gone, he can sing Heartache Tonight.

It's like they are using him for his name and lets have "Vince Gill" sing, and maybe people will forget about Glenn not being there. Vince Gill, is a bigger name than Deacon Frey (sadly), and maybe Irving and Don thought they needed that.
    I agree they don't need another guitar player; so why is Steuart there? Vince can play those parts; he's an excellent guitarist. Vince may need some time to catch up to speed but he's better known and a bigger draw than Steuart.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

I remembered Timothy saying he can't sing the high notes anymore because he could had fool me because he still sounded good when he's harmonizing. With two high voices in the group now, its might take a little load off Timothy. Vince is 10 years younger than Don, Joe, and Timothy and he can still hit the high notes. To tell the truth, they kinda holding him back because he is blending in where as Timothy you can hear him and point him out of all the guys.

As for TIE. Maybe Vince sounded better with Deacon because of Deacon lower range. They might had tried to see how Deacon would sound with Timothy and Vince harmonizing on that second verse. Deacon probably blended well with Vince's voice, but than again. They probably wanted the new guys to do that part. I guess we will never know.

I really hope they give Vince another guitar solo song. I was shocked it was him doing the guitar solo in The Last Resort since I thought he didn't have any. Vince shines on his guitar solos.

Its a work in progress. So they probably will change a few things over time. I don't think Vince is going anywhere anytime soon. I only see Vince gone if he leaves (which I doubt it) or they don't need him anymore(which they probably need him right now to not have so much pressure on Deacon).

Since Vince is probably going to be with the Eagles for a while, he's gonna have to know what they going to do in advantage so he can plan his solo career around the Eagles like Don and Joe did. Vince usually have dates every month. So that might change or it might not.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 08-01-2017 at 02:36 PM.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    After seeing some clips from both West and East, I have no idea why [Vince Gill is] there.

I mean Deacon is singing PEF, which is about as smooth soft country as it gets, and he's even better at the rocking songs IMO and then you got Vince singing Heartache Tonight, and IMO can't deliver like Glenn or Bob. I think Deacon can.

Either give Vince all of the soft songs, and Deacon all of the rockers, or just let Deacon sing everything, which even though I'm against it, I'd rather see happen.
    Asking Deacon to do everything that Glenn did - or even most of what he did - is unrealistic. Expecting him to be up to the same level as a man who has performed for 40 years is expecting too much. He is not "little Glenn." He is Deacon Frey and he is learning.

Vince Gill is not Glenn Frey either, but Vince Gill has been in the business for decades, honing his craft, playing for large crowds.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

For a long time. I actually agree with you, Soda. That's so much pressure put on Deacon. To sing all his father's songs. He may be up to playing with his uncles, but to sing all his father's song. Nope. He needs to learn and get better. He's already being judged about how looks like his father or doesn't sound like his father.

Vince is there to not have so much pressure on Deacon. Deacon will get better and I think he did this past weekend even though I couldn't tell he was nervous at the Classic West show. And I actually applaud him to even play in front of 50,000 people for the first time.

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

I do have to admit at first, I didn't like Vince singing Lyin' Eyes. He was pausing too much as he was singing the song and it was a turn off. He's gotten better with Lyin' Eyes. Vince rarely pauses in his songs even live, but I don't know why he was doing that.

It was kinda weird hearing Vince singing Heartache Tonight, but to tell the truth. I really don't like this new version of Heartache Tonight. Not because Vince was singing it. I just don't like this new arrangement of the song. You can definitely tell the key was lowered big time. I rather hear Farewell 1 version where their was a little guitar solo at the beginning before they began the song with the horns or HOTE version where they sang it acapella before the whole band kicks in on the chorus. I wish they kept that.

I thought he did a good job on the song.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 08-01-2017 at 12:07 PM.

Default Re: Deacon and the Future

All I said was that Vince contributed to the album b/c the claim was made that he contributed nothing to Eagles history. Please point out where I said Vince had more to do with getting them back together than Travis. I don't want to go OT either but I'm getting tired of my words getting twisted.

BTW, no Common Thread album=no Travis Tritt video.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

The only argument I can see about not needing Vince is if they drop all the songs Vince sings, which I would be down with. Better no one sing them. The whole "keep the songs alive" line - well, Vince can sing the songs at his own shows while piping in the the background vocals and it would sound the same. The instrumental parts can be duplicated.

When it comes to BGV, they have half a dozen guys backing them, a veritable choir, in all those musicians onstage. I think all of them except the drummer sing.

However, as long as they keep these songs and continue to do shows as the "Eagles", they need to keep a guy like Vince to replace Glenn on lead vocals.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I have a theory about Vince and the way he was singing "Lyin' Eyes." Having been a fan for years, I've seen him on several awards shows and other special events, and he's apt to get a little emotional when he sings certain songs. If I'd seen it live, I could probably tell you for sure. My bet is, he started singing, and just got to thinking about Glenn and the moment, and all, and he got a little choked up. The pauses were where he was getting his voice back under control. Now, that's just my theory, but it fits with some other things I've seen Vince do that really meant a lot to him.

Maybe I'm saying it wrong. I can't describe it. I think I remembered somebody bringing up is Vince was doing diction as he sings. Maybe that's the word I meant. I think Glenn did it in some of his songs. Hold certain phrases or words in a line. Like a little small delay going to the next word. It was weird hearing Vince doing it because I'm use to him doing it other than with his songs.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Asking Deacon to do everything that Glenn did - or even most of what he did - is unrealistic. Expecting him to be up to the same level as a man who has performed for 40 years is expecting too much. He is not "little Glenn." He is Deacon Frey and he is learning.

Vince Gill is not Glenn Frey either, but Vince Gill has been in the business for decades, honing his craft, playing for large crowds.
    Oh absolutely, and I didn't say I think he was little Glenn. As you know, I'm against the whole thing so at the end of the day, I have no dog in this fight.

But I'm no fan of Vince Gill in this band. To me he brings nothing of value and as you said yourself, there are plenty of BGV's going on in the band already.

They either should reallocate the rocking' songs to Deacon and soft country stuff to Vince, or drop some as you suggested, whatever. But Vince Gill singing Heartache Tonight was downright painful to listen to. The man is not a rocker.