Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Vince Gill

Default Re: Vince Gill

If this article has been posted already, I apologize. Vince talks about change and his own musical skills. Hopefully the Eagles will take more advantage of those skills at future concerts.

Gill expresses only one frustration: He wishes more people were hearing the music he’s making now, because he thinks he’s gotten better. “I feel like I’m kind of starting to figure it out. In all honesty, I feel I play the best I’ve ever played, I feel I sing the best I’ve ever sung, and write the best songs I’ve ever written. And they’re going to go quite a bit more unnoticed than a whole lot of my successful years when I was really red-hot. But it’s still encouraging to be creative, because I see progress. Because all I ever wanted to do was get better.”
    "At 60, Vince Gill rolls with the changes" Boston Globe, May 12, 2017

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    If this article has been posted already, I apologize. Vince talks about change and his own musical skills. Hopefully the Eagles will take more advantage of those skills at future concerts.

"At 60, Vince Gill rolls with the changes" Boston Globe, May 12, 2017
    I think there are a number of artists who have created very good music in their older years, but sometimes it (near criminally in some cases) is heard by few people. It's not so overlooked, but Tim's 'Leap of Faith' is IMHO among the best work he's ever done, but the general public probably isn't so aware of it.

I'm listening to Vince's 'Reasons for the Tears I Cry' right now, and it would fit right on LRooE, IMHO.

Out on the Border

I really enjoyed Gill's contributions at the Classic East show. I get some fans questioning why they needed him, with Deacon there, but I think others have addressed that pretty well (safety net in case Deacon just couldn't do it in front of 50,000-plus is probably the best reason I've read). I also think it didn't hurt to have a Big Name added to the roster. Gill may not be Garth Brooks big, but he's up there among that era's country stars and highly respected as a player/singer. I think it helped add some legitimacy to the Classic shows, for casual fans who knew Glenn was gone and wondered "who could replace Glenn Frey?!" Well, Vince Gill is a pretty strong answer.

Where does that leave Gill's status going forward? Who knows? He certainly sounds enthused about being an Eagle, and if I'm Don Henley, and Vince Gill is offering his services in perpetuity, I'd be a fool not to take him up on it.

I think it's very interesting that Vince has talent, but appears to have very little ego. Or at least he has sublimated his ego in order to do the best for Eagles rather than himself. While he may not, vocally, be the best choice for every song, I think that he has the right attitude and personality to become a long term Eagles member. And certainly he seems motivated to do so.

I'm not saying what is planned long term and it may well be that no-one at all knows what will and will not happen. But, if they wanted to go forward with the current line-up, they've chosen well in my opinion.

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    The only argument I can see about not needing Vince is if they drop all the songs Vince sings, which I would be down with. Better no one sing them. The whole "keep the songs alive" line - well, Vince can sing the songs at his own shows while piping in the the background vocals and it would sound the same. The instrumental parts can be duplicated.

When it comes to BGV, they have half a dozen guys backing them, a veritable choir, in all those musicians onstage. I think all of them except the drummer sing.

However, as long as they keep these songs and continue to do shows as the "Eagles", they need to keep a guy like Vince to replace Glenn on lead vocals.
    I disagree about the backup vocals. There are two kinds of backups, one is when they sing the oohs and ahs and the "all in" chorus-type backups, and the other is the type where just a few voices are in, such as Don's backups in parts of NKIT and LE, and Timothy's in TIE. Those are the ones I'm talking about where Vince's voice makes a big difference. Part of what has always made the Eagles harmonies so fantastic, IMHO, is having three or four singers who could function as lead singers and make for really strong back-up vocals. Glenn, Don, Randy, and Timothy have provided those at different times, and Vince falls into that category, as well. Deacon may, too.

I do agree that all the pressure shouldn't be on Deacon. I love Vince Gill's voice but I agree with Walshfan that it doesn't work as well on the rockers. I think his slower renditions are lovely, as are his back-up vocals. I can't speak to his guitar-playing, but from what I've heard, those skills are excellent. And I agree with Annoying Twit above; it's so nice to see a superstar with very little ego. That alone makes Vince a great addition, considering all strife the band has had over the years!

For all the years I've followed Vince, I really haven't heard anything negative about him or him having a big ego. Everything I've heard has been nice. Vince is just that kind of guy that minds his own business and with this group. Sometimes its good to just keep your mouth shut and go with the flow. He's the new guy(like he said in one of his interviews) and he definitely doesn't want to piss Don or Irving off.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    For all the years I've followed Vince, I really haven't heard anything negative about him or him having a big ego. Everything I've heard has been nice. Vince is just that kind of guy that minds his own business and with this group. Sometimes its good to just keep your mouth shut and go with the flow. He's the new guy(like he said in one of his interviews) and he definitely doesn't want to piss Don or Irving off.
    I did manage to find this Telecaster Guitar Form Thread "Vince Gill Is An Evil Person"

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/vince-g...person.280996/

I think they all sold their souls to the devil, at the crossroads, just like Robert Johnson.

I've been a big Amy Grant fan ever since I was a little kid. She's my favorite Christian contemporary artist and I know many of her songs by heart. Some of them have moved me to tears and there's others that contain such great theological illustrations that I think of them when I read certain Bible passages. Some are just plain catchy. However, since she's a Christian contemporary singer, there was a bit of scandal when she and Vince divorced their spouses and married each other. Other than that, I've heard nothing negative. He seems like a really nice guy.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I was going to post the article about Westboro Baptist Church protesting at Vince's concert in Kansas City in 2013, but I just couldn't. I'm going to post it. He went outside to confront them to see and I quote, "I just wanted to see what hate looked like." Vince was soo calm when he talked to them. Not that many celebrities would be calm. They would be cussing and pushing them.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...nti-gay-625503

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCW3wWrDU44[/ame]

I really wasn't surprised they got married. I think both of their marriages weren't going good. Vince had already been divorced for 2 years when he and Amy got married. Heck Garth and Trisha got some flake when they started to see each other and later married after Garth divorced his first wife.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 08-03-2017 at 04:16 PM.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Oh my gosh, so awful. Westboro are not even truly Baptist, much less Christian. They are appalling.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten