Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Vince Gill

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Default Re: Vince Gill

I remember that too when Vince went out to talk to them. He always seems like such a nice guy even in those situations. I too remember when he and Amy got together, and loved Amy since I was little too. It was kind of a scandal, which is weird compared to now since it probably wouldn't be as big of a deal. Plus their first marriages were bad and they found happiness together. My Mom always wondered about them when he first started singing on her songs. LOL

My 2nd concert seeing Vince was also with Amy too and it was a Christmas one and they were so adorable together sharing stories and pictures. They both were on stage the entire time singing both Christmas songs and some of their hits. I loved that concert so much.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

I think they thought something was going on back in 1993 when Vince sang on Amy's song House of Love which I love that song. I myself thought so too, but I brushed it away. It was a scandal when she married Vince a year after her divorce. Like I said with Garth and Trisha. The same thing happened with them, but they are happy today themselves.

I used to watch her ex-husband, Gary Chapman on a show called Prime Time Country on TNN back in the mid to late 90s not knowing what was going on behind the scenes with their marriage.

Vince and Amy looked so happy together and I'm happy for him and Amy.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

I think Vince is a nice guy and he seems level headed. I just don't think he's a good fit for this band. I personally still think Deacon could do it all but if not, then if they want a singer to sing rock, they need either to replace Vince or get yet another member. If it were up to me, Deacon would sing Glenn's rockers and uptempo pieces and Vince would sing all of the soft country/country rock stuff.

His guitar playing is great, but he's better when he's slinging a Telecaster playing country licks than trying to play rock. I mean he's no Joe Walsh or Don Felder when it comes to that stuff. He can play rock, but to me it's obvious it's not his forte. However, I think in his wheelhouse, he can hold his own with Walsh, Felder, and Smith. Steuart is a country guy but I think he can play rock better than Vince can. To me it just looks so out of place for him to try and rock and roll. It'd be like trying to get George Strait to cover AC/DC. It just looks so dang out of place.

His voice is amazing at singing what the man was born to sing - soft, country music and gospel songs. But trying to make him sing rock n' roll would be like trying to get G'N'R to cover Conway Twitty. It just isn't a good fit nor idea.

Keeping in mind that I'm personally not ok with any lineup, it doesn't really matter but I'd probably be willing to suggest setlists for both Deacon and Vince and may do so in another thread at some point. If not for anything but trying to highlight their best areas and try to justify the reason to have both of them.

The news of Glen Campbell's death today, I went online to fine any pictures of Vince with Glen. I found a few over the years.

Here's Vince with Glen, Charlie Daniels, Steve Wariner, Eddie Rabbitt, Roy Clark, and Ricky Skaggs

Vince with Brad Paisley, Jimmy Webb(who wrote a lot of Glen's hits) and Glen's wife Kim.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Thanks for posting the pics! BTW: Jimmy Webb had an absolutely heart-rending tribute to Glen on his Facebook page. It was beautiful.

Nice pictures, Shun, thanks. Country music artists as a group have always struck me as being a close-knit, friendly community.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

@Delilah: They are. Or used to be. Some still are. Years ago, on the CMA shows (which are in Nashville), at the end of the show, a lot of the stars would get on stage and sing "I Saw the Light" or "Will the Circle Be Unbroken."

This is a very awesome video the CMA produced last year. Vince shows up here, too. But it's a great effort all-around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9gAXwYZtfk

Quote Originally Posted by Pippinwhite View Post
    Thanks for posting the pics! BTW: Jimmy Webb had an absolutely heart-rending tribute to Glen on his Facebook page. It was beautiful.
    Jimmy Webb ... love that man!

Heading over to FB to check out his tribute, thanks for the heads up!

Edited to add:

What a tribute! 2.4k comments and still counting.
    Last edited by Dawn; 08-09-2017 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pippinwhite View Post
    @Delilah: They are. Or used to be. Some still are. Years ago, on the CMA shows (which are in Nashville), at the end of the show, a lot of the stars would get on stage and sing "I Saw the Light" or "Will the Circle Be Unbroken."

This is a very awesome video the CMA produced last year. Vince shows up here, too. But it's a great effort all-around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9gAXwYZtfk
    Thanks so much for posting that, Pippin! I love it! It was nice seeing the shot of Randy Travis even though, sadly, he can't sing anymore. And when George showed up it was just icing on the cake.

Vince sounded lovely during his part.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

@Delilah: Glad you liked it! I just about cried when I saw it the first time. It just touched me so much. Such a beautiful effort.