Quote Originally Posted by BlanketMan View Post
From my seat, it seemed Stevie was referring to the sudden roar of a plane overhead during her dedication to Glenn, as she looked up and said "There he is!" A little odd, but, hey, we'll cherish any unscripted moment during a Mac show!

I thought the Eagles were amazing on Sat. nite. I'm surprised to read the criticisms of their harmonies on here, as I thought they were as strong as ever. I was very pleased with Vince Gill's performance, and found him to be an inspired choice to fill the tremendous void left by Glenn's passing. Deacon Frey did a nice job, also, although you could tell who had been singing at a high level for decades and who was just beginning his singing career. That's not meant as a knock on D. Frey, just an acknowledgement that Gill is an old pro at this! I can't imagine the emotions that Deacon had to deal with over these two Classic shows, and he handled everything really well, on stage at least. I hope this experience has helped with the healing, for Deacon as well as the rest of the band.

This was the first time I'd seen them perform "The Last Resort" live - one of my all-time favorite songs and I thought Henley killed it. My only complaint was that they didn't do "The Boys of Summer," def in my Top Ten fave songs ever. They did three of Joe Walsh's non-Eagles tunes but only one of Henley's. Odd. But maybe it's just gotten too difficult for Henley to do BOS justice live - the studio version remains one of the most incredible vocal performances of Henley's recording career, and I'm sure it's really tough to try to sing it live. A minor complaint, anyway, especially since they did "Those Shoes," another fave tune I'd never seen them do.

I was glad to see Don perched behind his kit for so many songs - not sure if that's been the norm the last few tours or not (I'd last seen them in 2007). Henley will never be considered a top rock drummer, but he's damned solid back there and I'll always marvel at guys who can sing at a high level while whacking away at the skins. There aren't many of them in the annals of pop/rock!
Henley does BOS in his solo shows, just in a lower key -- he just did it when I saw him in Boston in June. But I counted 9 lead vocals for Don in Classic East, as opposed to 4 maximum for anyone else. Joe doesn't have that many hits for the Eagles, so doing his solo stuff not only takes some of the pressure off Don's voice (which is also critical in back-up harmonies), but is an undisputed crowd-pleaser. Some fans come to these shows just to see Joe's stuff!

I agree about Don on the drums. And I can't believe he does all he does at 70, especially when he starts talking about his physical ailments. Sometimes I think he manages everything by sheer willpower!

ETA: I know I still owe a review on this show. I will get to it soon; I promise! In my earlier comments, I didn't mean to imply that there was anything wrong with Vince's or the rest of the Eagles' harmonies, other than Don's backup being a little louder than Vince's lead in places. They are different from what we're used to, though, and whoever pointed out that they are missing a singer in the middle range is so right. They seem to be working around that, though, with some tweaking of the harmonies. Has anyone else noticed that Joe seems to be adding to the harmonies more than he's done previously?