Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Classic East New York City - July 29, 2017

Default Re: Classic East New York City - July 29, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    The Billboard review implied that Bob Seger wasn't there so who sang Heartache Tonight?

http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...ay-one-setlist

(The review is too concerned about whether the bands are hip.
    Thank you for posting this link. I wondered if the Panorama Festival would affect attendance but then that's a different audience. As I said before, it would be nice if some of Glenn's solo material was performed and the writer seemed to agree.

Thank you Shun and everyone else who posted videos. From the couple I've seen, the band was sounding great. I was hoping Vince guitar skills would be utilized more this time. I see he's still harmonizing with Deacon on TIE during the Randy/Timothy parts.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

UTW. Vince sang Heartache Tonight. Remembered in an interview that Vince did, he said he was singing Heartache Tonight, Lyin' Eyes, New Kid In Town, and Tequila Sunrise. Since Bob was there at Classic West, he went ahead and sang it since he co-wrote it with Glenn and one of Glenn's mentors. Vince was suppose to sing it, but they had Bob to come as guest performer for Classic West. I don't know if they asked Bob to come to the Classic West, but they probably did to honor Glenn.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

True, Shun, it had been announced that Vince was going to sing HT. Chances are it just worked out that Bob Seger was available for a surprise appearance at Classic West.

Here's Seven Bridges Road. They sound nice but I still think it's missing something without Glenn. I guess that's just the way it's going to be. I think Vince is harmonizing with Henley again during the 2-Pt harmony section.

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1JMUmmFkGgI[/ame]

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

Delilah - I agree. In fact, I think none of the harmonies blend as well without Glenn and do not sound as good. I think SBR only sounds so-so.
    As I said in the other thread, I do not think Vince blends well with Don and Tim. Deacon's voice seems to do better for some reason. JMHO, but I don't care for Vince's NKIT & LE. There are certain songs only the original artist can sing and both those songs belonged to Glenn. Vince did a good job on TS. And of course, Randy always owned TITTL, although Vince did a good job on it.

UTW - I guess everyone should prepare for the Classic South in Atlanta and a Classic Midwest in probably Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Delilah - I agree. In fact, I think none of the harmonies blend as well without Glenn and do not sound as good. I think SBR only sounds so-so.
    I'm glad you said this. I thought the same thing. Their harmonies are what made them unique (and what attracted Glyn Johns's attention back in 1971). It's obvious now that Glenn's voice is what gave their harmonies their richness. If you watch old concert footage and listen to the songs, you can almost always hear Glenn's voice in the harmony. They are also missing a voice singing in the middle...Tim and Vince Gill are singing high, then Henley, but Deacon has a much lower voice than Glenn and they are missing that middle note.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

If Eagles were to tour regularly, then I think they would improve their harmonies, compared to where they are now. I haven't seen the live concerts, and wouldn't like to judge from youtube videos recorded on phones.

However, if they are just going to play a few concerts per year, then they'll have less opportunity to find a new balance. I do think Vince has the vocal chops to do the job, but it will sound different.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Thank you, Shun, for all your hard work once again and everyone else who contributed here! I'm glad it turned out well for the guys too.

As usual, by the time I had time to watch a video they were all gone! Does anyone know if they are still available on this periscope thing? And is that an app for a phone or what? (Sorry, I'm old!)
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Brooke, you may find some still up on Facebook.

Here's a review with a few photos: http://www.elmoremagazine.com/2017/0...s/the-eagles-2

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Thank you, Shun, for all your hard work once again and everyone else who contributed here! I'm glad it turned out well for the guys too.

As usual, by the time I had time to watch a video they were all gone! Does anyone know if they are still available on this periscope thing? And is that an app for a phone or what? (Sorry, I'm old!)
    Try Ladydeediamond on Twitter. That's who I was watching on Saturday and last night on Periscope. She probably still have it up on her Twitter and I re-watch from there yesterday when I missed half of it. She has all the shows from last night. She's going to do the REO Speedwagon/Styx next month. So I guess she does this a lot.

The videos were there all of the day because I was watching some of them at work.

ETA: She still has the videos up from this weekend. I don't think they are going anywhere but it will be hard to find as the days go by when there's more tweet post.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 08-01-2017 at 09:13 AM.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by buffyfan145 View Post
    Thanks again Shun for Stevie's dedication!!! Love what she said and they must have showed a picture of Glenn on the screen too as she was talking as she turned towards them and said "There he is!" and Lindsey was looking too.
    From my seat, it seemed Stevie was referring to the sudden roar of a plane overhead during her dedication to Glenn, as she looked up and said "There he is!" A little odd, but, hey, we'll cherish any unscripted moment during a Mac show!

I thought the Eagles were amazing on Sat. nite. I'm surprised to read the criticisms of their harmonies on here, as I thought they were as strong as ever. I was very pleased with Vince Gill's performance, and found him to be an inspired choice to fill the tremendous void left by Glenn's passing. Deacon Frey did a nice job, also, although you could tell who had been singing at a high level for decades and who was just beginning his singing career. That's not meant as a knock on D. Frey, just an acknowledgement that Gill is an old pro at this! I can't imagine the emotions that Deacon had to deal with over these two Classic shows, and he handled everything really well, on stage at least. I hope this experience has helped with the healing, for Deacon as well as the rest of the band.

This was the first time I'd seen them perform "The Last Resort" live - one of my all-time favorite songs and I thought Henley killed it. My only complaint was that they didn't do "The Boys of Summer," def in my Top Ten fave songs ever. They did three of Joe Walsh's non-Eagles tunes but only one of Henley's. Odd. But maybe it's just gotten too difficult for Henley to do BOS justice live - the studio version remains one of the most incredible vocal performances of Henley's recording career, and I'm sure it's really tough to try to sing it live. A minor complaint, anyway, especially since they did "Those Shoes," another fave tune I'd never seen them do.

I was glad to see Don perched behind his kit for so many songs - not sure if that's been the norm the last few tours or not (I'd last seen them in 2007). Henley will never be considered a top rock drummer, but he's damned solid back there and I'll always marvel at guys who can sing at a high level while whacking away at the skins. There aren't many of them in the annals of pop/rock!