Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Classic East New York City - July 29, 2017

Border Rebel

Default Re: Classic East New York City - July 29, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by BlanketMan View Post
    From my seat, it seemed Stevie was referring to the sudden roar of a plane overhead during her dedication to Glenn, as she looked up and said "There he is!" A little odd, but, hey, we'll cherish any unscripted moment during a Mac show!

I thought the Eagles were amazing on Sat. nite. I'm surprised to read the criticisms of their harmonies on here, as I thought they were as strong as ever. I was very pleased with Vince Gill's performance, and found him to be an inspired choice to fill the tremendous void left by Glenn's passing. Deacon Frey did a nice job, also, although you could tell who had been singing at a high level for decades and who was just beginning his singing career. That's not meant as a knock on D. Frey, just an acknowledgement that Gill is an old pro at this! I can't imagine the emotions that Deacon had to deal with over these two Classic shows, and he handled everything really well, on stage at least. I hope this experience has helped with the healing, for Deacon as well as the rest of the band.

This was the first time I'd seen them perform "The Last Resort" live - one of my all-time favorite songs and I thought Henley killed it. My only complaint was that they didn't do "The Boys of Summer," def in my Top Ten fave songs ever. They did three of Joe Walsh's non-Eagles tunes but only one of Henley's. Odd. But maybe it's just gotten too difficult for Henley to do BOS justice live - the studio version remains one of the most incredible vocal performances of Henley's recording career, and I'm sure it's really tough to try to sing it live. A minor complaint, anyway, especially since they did "Those Shoes," another fave tune I'd never seen them do.

I was glad to see Don perched behind his kit for so many songs - not sure if that's been the norm the last few tours or not (I'd last seen them in 2007). Henley will never be considered a top rock drummer, but he's damned solid back there and I'll always marvel at guys who can sing at a high level while whacking away at the skins. There aren't many of them in the annals of pop/rock!
    Henley does BOS in his solo shows, just in a lower key -- he just did it when I saw him in Boston in June. But I counted 9 lead vocals for Don in Classic East, as opposed to 4 maximum for anyone else. Joe doesn't have that many hits for the Eagles, so doing his solo stuff not only takes some of the pressure off Don's voice (which is also critical in back-up harmonies), but is an undisputed crowd-pleaser. Some fans come to these shows just to see Joe's stuff!

I agree about Don on the drums. And I can't believe he does all he does at 70, especially when he starts talking about his physical ailments. Sometimes I think he manages everything by sheer willpower!

ETA: I know I still owe a review on this show. I will get to it soon; I promise! In my earlier comments, I didn't mean to imply that there was anything wrong with Vince's or the rest of the Eagles' harmonies, other than Don's backup being a little louder than Vince's lead in places. They are different from what we're used to, though, and whoever pointed out that they are missing a singer in the middle range is so right. They seem to be working around that, though, with some tweaking of the harmonies. Has anyone else noticed that Joe seems to be adding to the harmonies more than he's done previously?

Quote Originally Posted by maryc2130 View Post
    ETA: I know I still owe a review on this show. I will get to it soon; I promise! In my earlier comments, I didn't mean to imply that there was anything wrong with Vince's or the rest of the Eagles' harmonies, other than Don's backup being a little louder than Vince's lead in places. They are different from what we're used to, though, and whoever pointed out that they are missing a singer in the middle range is so right. They seem to be working around that, though, with some tweaking of the harmonies. Has anyone else noticed that Joe seems to be adding to the harmonies more than he's done previously?
    I thought I was hearing more "bottom" than usual on SBR and I wondered if that was Joe. My main issue with the harmonies was with that particular song (and I conceded in the Classic West thread that it was on cell phone audio so it isn't exactly audiophile quality). Also, it seemed that in Classic West that Vince was singing more of the backing vocals that Timothy usually does. However the video clips I saw from Classic East were taken from far away so it was hard to know if this was still the case. I think it was for TIE.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Even if Glenn's songs were split between Deacon and Vince, Glenn would still have about the same amount as Don.

Hi Blankman. Thanks for the recap. Don has been singing more up front or not behind the drums some of Joe's songs too for a while since the HOTE tour because some songs like Heartache Tonight, Life in the Fast Lane and Rocky Mountain Way he was still playing the drums on those song during the Long Road Out Of Eden tour, but stopped when they started the HOTE tour. He rarely plays them in his solo show and he played the drums in his solo show for the first time since the 90s last week at his birthday concert, but than again. He said he was miserable playing Scott's drumset, but I couldn't tell in videos. He had a left handed drummer and he had to play that drumset when he did a few songs.

I for one enjoyed the show. Of course from the internet, but I thought they were much better Saturday than two weeks ago since they weren't so nervous and they practiced more.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 08-01-2017 at 09:50 AM.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    I thought I was hearing more "bottom" than usual on SBR and I wondered if that was Joe. My main issue with the harmonies was with that particular song (and I conceded in the Classic West thread that it was on cell phone audio so it isn't exactly audiophile quality). Also, it seemed that in Classic West that Vince was singing more of the backing vocals that Timothy usually does. However the video clips I saw from Classic East were taken from far away so it was hard to know if this was still the case. I think it was for TIE.
    It was TIE because the screen had Deacon and Vince up there.

As for SBR, it sounds like they did dropped the key. That is a very high song to sing. I don't know how Don sings that song every night in his solo shows and still sing high. Even if he has his backup singers singing that "sometimes there's a part of me" verse with him, it had to be hard for him to still sing it high. I can't remember if Vince sings together with just Don or with Don and Timothy.

I also notice in one video, Vince does have a teleprompter. It had popped up on the screen. Oops. That's why he was looking down a lot when he was singing lead. He might uses it in his solo show. Its probably become a norm now for singers to have a teleprompter to read the words.

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    It was TIE because the screen had Deacon and Vince up there.

As for SBR, it sounds like they did dropped the key. That is a very high song to sing. I don't know how Don sings that song every night in his solo shows and still sing high. Even if he has his backup singers singing that "sometimes there's a part of me" verse with him, it had to be hard for him to still sing it high. I can't remember if Vince sings together with just Don or with Don and Timothy.

I also notice in one video, Vince does have a teleprompter. It had popped up on the screen. Oops. That's why he was looking down a lot when he was singing lead. He might uses it in his solo show. Its probably become a norm now for singers to have a teleprompter to read the words.
    I thought that was the case with the teleprompter. As I posted (somewhere?), it was noticeable on HT. I know a lot of singers do use them. I remember Billy Joel commenting that Elton John used one, and Billy found it a little distracting when they toured together. But Vince hasn't been singing these songs as long as the others, so he most likely needs it, at least for now. Don, Joe and Timothy could probably sing them in their sleep at this point.

Border Desperado

Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but what kind of merchandise are they selling? Do they have Eagles shirts with Vince and Deacon on them? Programs with the new lineup?
    Old shirts with Glenn?

On facebook, I saw them selling merchandise that said Classic West/East, but I don't know about their merchandise. That's a good question, BillBailey.

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by BillBailey1976 View Post
    Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but what kind of merchandise are they selling? Do they have Eagles shirts with Vince and Deacon on them? Programs with the new lineup?
    Old shirts with Glenn?
    I didn't see any programs at all, just posters and t-shirts with the Eagles logo, both alone and listed with the other 5 acts. I didn't see any band personnel named on any of the stuff they were selling, just "Eagles" this and that.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

UtW and shun, thanks for the tips! I will see what I can come up with!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I wanted to gather my thoughts before making any comments on this concert. First I want to be thankful that I had the opportunity to even attend this show as I feel it was such a blessing.

All week they had been threatening thunderstorms for Sat. which was just freaking me out, but as the day approached it was slowly clearing up & no rain ever fell that day & evening. One thing that happened was, that because of the weather predictions, tickets on StubHub started to appear at lower prices & I was able to upgrade my seats to section 107, first level near first base.!! Yippee.

I also want to comment that any videos you have seen, have no comparison to the incredible sound system at Citi Field. The sound was one of the best I've heard...

The Doobie Brothers & Steely Dan each played about 1 hour 15 min with 1/2 hour break between sets...When the Eagles hit the stage the sun was just about to go down, but was peaking through the stadium for a brilliant ray of sunshine which was an omen of what we were about to see!!

They opened with the lovely Seven Bridges Road & the harmonies were perfect.. I won't be reviewing each & every song, just my general feelings about the show. Deacon sang lead on Take It Easy & he was humble & sounded very good. Let's not forget these shows are the first time he has ever played for more than about 100 people... Joe made some small talk about a warm family welcome & the crowd responded with huge applause & I believe that may have been when they put Deacon's name on the jumbo screen...

I must admit that I was not that familiar with Vince Gill. Of course I knew his name, but I'm not a big country music person. I didn't know what to expect with his addition to the band, but I was very impressed with his vocals, & having an extra guitar in the band made for a richer & fuller sound to some of the songs. Joe also added some extra guitar work changing some of the songs, I know on Witchy Woman & another song, I can't recall just now.

I was thrilled to hear New York Minute added to the NY set list as it's a song we haven't heard live in a long time. Also Those Shoes & The Last Resort were great to hear.

Deacon took the lead for PEF & spoke very briefly about his dad passing away in NY & that it was a bit tender being here but he felt the love & support of the crowd & the rest of the Eagles. At the end a lovely large photo of Glenn appeared on the jumbotron to a huge applause & roar from the audience. It was a bitter sweet moment...

They played all the hits we were expecting & then some, so the concert was well thought out & executed with perfection.... There was the additional 4 piece horn section, used for some songs, like NY Minute, a string quartet & the usual backing musicians. I couldn't see all of them that clearly.
    I had binoculars with me to get an up close look at our guys!

Joe was wearing a longer black jacket & it looked like he was wearing silver sneakers??? I'm not sure if that was the lighting or really silver...
    Tim wore a black shirt with white polka dots & black vest, which he later took off. They all seemed a little dressed up, I mean for them as they are usually very casual. Deacon wore what looked like a small checked grey button down short sleeve shirt. Henley wore his usual plain greyish shirt...
    Vince was wearing a back suit or jacket with black pants.

Last song before the encore was Life In the Fastlane, sounded great as usual. Don was in excellent voice. The crowd roared for the encores. Hotel California began with the horn section intro, which I do love. The second encore was RMW & they ended with Desperado, as expected.

I have to say that the NY crowd was very enthusiastic & were on their feet much of the show. Even though people were singing, the sound was loud enough that the Eagles could be heard LOUD & CLEAR..

I was so thrilled I went to this show, as I wasn't sure what it would be like. I was happily surprised. They played a full 2 1/2 hour set.
    I am thinking that this is the start of what will be a tour for 2018..
    I loved every second of this show. In fact my fiance said he liked it better than the HOE show that we had seen. I did as well...
    That's all for now!