Thread: Take It To the Limit & Charles Bradley

Default Take It To the Limit & Charles Bradley

I don't know how familiar fans are with Charles Bradley, but he's a soul /funk singer in the vein of James Brown whose life and career were chronicled in the 2012 documentary "The Soul of America." Notably, he didn't begin achieving success and recognition until the age of 62.

In this article he recounts the impact TITTL had on his life.
    I love the Eagles “Take It To The Limit” — that song saved my life. That song got so much depth to it and it caught me when I was under stress. I was in a pizza restaurant one time back in the late ‘70s, I was going through some changes I couldn’t deal with and I was in the restaurant, someone came and put a quarter in the jukebox and played that song. And that song made me break down crying, I had to go walk out of the restaurant. It helped me with my life cause back in those days I was feeling very suicidal. Even today if I hear it I get very emotional.
    This reminded me of what Don Henley said about reading old fan letters and realizing the impact Eagles songs have on people's lives. And why they have chosen to go on.

I wonder if the Eagles know what happened with Mr. Bradley. I hope at least that Glenn did.

"The Song That Saved Charles Bradley's Life", grammypro.com, 2017

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Take It To the Limit & Charles Bradley

Wow - what a story ! Thank You Delilah !
    I have never heard of the man. However, really is amazing how music can impact people's lives.
    JMHO, but from what Don said in his Q & A Runway session, I think all the guys did not realize how much of an impact their songs had on people. I think in the beginning they were too young - 20 somethings just usually don't grasp that. However, once the resumed in 1994, I think they began to realize it. And, the more they toured it became more and more obvious to them. They were, older, wiser, and better able to appreciate what their music meant to people.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

I see where Mr. Bradley was diagnosed with stomach cancer last fall. I hope he's doing okay.

Thank you for that interview, Miss Delilah, it's really touching. Where would we be without music?
    Last edited by NightMistBlue; 07-31-2017 at 01:54 PM.

You're welcome.

Yes, I did read that he has some health issues now. I hope he's doing ok, too. He has said he wants to cover TITTL and I hope he gets that chance.

Music has such power to enrich our lives.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Wow, thanks so much for sharing Delilah. Music really does help in so many ways, and that song is also my favorite Eagles song.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

My favorite too, Buffy!

The day we lost Glenn, I sat at my computer with my headphones on and listened to that, PEF, TIE, LE, and NKIT and just sobbed.

I think I've mentioned our guys were (and are) my constant writing companions, my study friends in college, and I have written hundreds of thousands of words to their music.

Thanks Delilah for sharing that interview!

My sister is a music therapist. Music accesses parts of the brain that nothing else does. I'd wither up and die without my music.

Just read this. TITTL is my favorite song and it really does hit hard, doesn't it?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Some sad news--Mr. Bradley lost his battle to cancer today. I'd never heard of him until fairly recently but the story of his life and career is an inspiring one.

RIP

"Soul Singer Charles Bradley Dies at 68", Billboard, Sept. 23, 2017