Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Corporate gigs?

Border Rebel

Default Re: Corporate gigs?

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    My pleasure. Did you read where the text implied the kids were disappointed at the concert? I wonder why. Maybe it was short.
    I finally bit the bullet and upgraded my newspapers.com subscription to include papers from all over, not just Indianapolis. I ran across an article from an Illinois paper written by student reporters from McHenry High School.

They wrote that it was a promotional concert for the Eagles' newest album, OOTN.

Songs played were, OOTN, Journey of the Sorcerer, and Too Many Hands. These were listed as songs from the new album, so I'm not sure if these were the only songs played or if these were the only new songs. No other songs were listed.

Dan Fogelberg and Fool's "Goal" were referred to as the back up band. The article then went on to explain that "the back up band leads off the concert."

The student reporters got to interview a few members.
    "We're not nervous," said Rand Meisner who plays bass, "and we wanted to come. We were in high school once and wanted to see if it has changed."
    Glen Frey said, "We each do our share of writing songs."

From another area newspaper I found out that 1800 students attended This paper said that along with the Eagles, the Dan "Fullerton" band performed! Poor Dan... and he's an Illinois boy!

Very interesting My My thanks for sharing!!

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by My My View Post
    I finally bit the bullet and upgraded my newspapers.com subscription to include papers from all over, not just Indianapolis. I ran across an article from an Illinois paper written by student reporters from McHenry High School.

They wrote that it was a promotional concert for the Eagles' newest album, OOTN.

Songs played were, OOTN, Journey of the Sorcerer, and Too Many Hands. These were listed as songs from the new album, so I'm not sure if these were the only songs played or if these were the only new songs. No other songs were listed.

Dan Fogelberg and Fool's "Goal" were referred to as the back up band. The article then went on to explain that "the back up band leads off the concert."

"We're not nervous," said Rand Meisner who plays bass, "and we wanted to come. We were in high school once and wanted to see if it has changed."

From another area newspaper I found out that 1800 students attended This paper said that along with the Eagles, the Dan "Fullerton" band performed! Poor Dan... and he's an Illinois boy!
    Hi My My - Cute story. If I remember right, a story about this was in RS Magazine way back when. The HS won a contest sponsored by a radio station. The HS that displayed the most "school spirit" won a free concert by the Eagles. And, that HS won and the Eagles did the concert in the HS gym. Boy, I would have loved to have them do a concert at my HS.

Border Rebel

You're welcome, Dawn.

Hi, NKIT! You're right, it was a contest for school spirit put on by a Chicago radio station. There was a little controversy over the contest. Only two high schools got their entries in by the contest deadline, one being McHenry who ended up winning. The radio station ended up extending the deadline to get more entries in. Needless to say, McHenry was not very happy about it. They collected a lot more entries, winning the contest anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by My My View Post

Wow, My My, thanks so much for finding out more about this. Those students who got to interview the members are so lucky! I guess if they only played those 3 relatively new songs, I can understand why the students were disappointed (if it indeed they were). Do you know the exact date the band performed?

And yes, poor Dan!

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Border Rebel

The student article is from a paper dated Friday, May 16, 1975. The article said that the concert took place on Monday, which would be May 12, 1975. I'm sure it was hard to fit in this mini concert into their schedule at the time. In reading through several articles from April and May of that year, I found that many of their concerts were postponed, as was my first Eagles concert. Mine was scheduled for April and actually ended up being in August. I read in one article that several weeks of concerts were rescheduled due to the band working on the OOTN album.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Very interesting. Thank you so much, My My!!