Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: LROOE press

Default LROOE press

I love it when reviewers start out to bash the Eagles, and then all of a sudden they realize how talented the guys really are. Case in point:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rhythm & Views By JIM LIPSON --The Tucson Weekly, 1-16-08

EAGLES--Long Road Out of Eden (Eagles Recording)

The appropriate knee-jerk reaction here is, "How many times will hell freeze over before we are done with this aging, overhyped, self-important band?" On top of this, the Eagles had the audacity to award Wal-Mart, the evil empire itself, an exclusive distribution deal. The only problems with this line of rhetoric: 1. It's not really a commercial album; 2. It's a double CD they've priced at only $11; 3. There's a killer collection of tunes, many of which are pleasantly surprising in scope and presentation.

"No More Walks in the Wood" embodies this most. This near a cappella tune opens the album with a stunning, if melancholy, set of harmonies; it's a haunting poem given just enough music to make it special. What follows is "How Long," a J.D. Souther tune that evokes the best of Eagles vintage 1973, back when bassist Timothy B. Schmit and the country-rock sensibility he brought over from Poco defined their sound. Then there's "Busy Being Fabulous," a monster groove more suitable for a juicy R&B outfit than our perception of the Eagles.

Glenn Frey and Don Henley are the principal writers, but there are lots of helping hands throughout in co-songwriters, producers and players, all helping to push the creative edge. There are a handful of cringe moments, especially when the strings and syrupy ballads kick in. But there is also a substance and lyrical depth to this recording that almost makes it a concept album, especially on the second disc. The Eagles as a creatively relevant force in the 21st century--whodathunkit?

Great review, thanks Donfan! The guys continue to surprise the press!

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Stuck on the Border tbs fanatic's Avatar

Ha! Well I'm glad he was big enough to admit it's a great album as he obviously hasn't been the biggest Eagles fan.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: LROOE press

Quote Originally Posted by DonFan
    The Eagles as a creatively relevant force in the 21st century--whodathunkit?
    Me! And everyone else here!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Ditto Brooke!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Ain't it the truth?
    Some people have a hard time recognizing creative genius when they see it.
    Those of us here, however, have NO problem giving the guys their due!

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Well thats from me too! I got a kick out of reading that as well. Shows how wrong preconceived notions can be. Thanks for posting DF!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

a new interview/article with Don and Glenn from the Canadian newspaper The Globe and Mail.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...ainment/Music/

I will be picking up a print copy of this paper this morning.

Thanks for posting, TF.
    I particularly liked the part about Velcro:

Synthesizing the smooth harmonies of country music with studio-polished rock, they became the embodiment of the laid-back Southern California rock sound. "We always incorporated every kind of music into our stuff," explains Henley. "Glenn and I were both big soul-music fans, and Motown fans, and R&B fans. But nobody at the time ever seemed to notice that. We were always a 'country-rock' band, come hell or high water. That label stuck to us like Velcro - we just couldn't shake it."

Default article

great article, thanks for sharing it TimFan. I especially like "I know, I'm going to be like 90 years old before they get done," . Wouldn't it be wonderful to have another 30 years of Eagles?
    I possess the silver bullets to slay the demons from my past. How do I know? Because I survived them-and I am already stronger than I believe.