Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: LROOE press

Quote Originally Posted by DonFan
    Willie, only YOU can make that decision. However, I think the 20th anniversary is a really big occasion, and if you feel you can afford it, I am sure it will be a trip that you will always remember.
    I agree, DF is totaly right!
    Let somebody love you, before it's too late..

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I agree with DF! You only regret the things you DON'T do. Hope fully with a little prudence here and there you can manage to save the money you need. It is a very special occasion for you and your hubby and you deserve to be able to celebrate it in style. I don't for one minute regret going to London to see them. Even with the cost of flights, hotel accomodation and 'living' for a family of 4 and ILAA tickets for myself and my daughter it was well worth it.

Only thing was.......makes me want to go again!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Here is a concert review from the entertainment paper in Myrtle Beach, the Weekly Surge.
    http://weeklysurge.com/sub1.html

EAGLES AT HARD ROCK PARK
    By Christopher Raposa For Weekly Surge

After the weeks of soft opening and early concerts including Kid Rock and George Clinton, Hard Rock Park in Myrtle Beach officially kicked off its grand opening Monday night (June 2) in grandiose fashion with an amazing show by the legendary Eagles, bolstered by the largest crowd to date at the theme park's new amphitheatre.

The day went by in a blur with the opening ceremony where CEO Jon Binkowski and Sister Hazel guitarist Ryan Newell flew up in a helicopter to grace the red carpet and officially open the park. As local and national media swarmed around celebrities and even S.C.GovernorMark Sanford, the stage was just being set for an amazing night of pure and perfectly played music.

The Eagles, featuring original members Glenn Frey and Don Henley, took the stage to the largest audience yet at HRP (no official numbers were available, but I'm estimating more than 6,000) and were nothing if not spectacular. As I waited for the Grand Opening day to arrive, I became more and more stoked. Frey, Henley, Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmit together onstage again? The solo hits by these guys alone could easily make up a two hour set.

The band started with its first hit in 29 years, "How Long" off of the 2007 release "Long Road Out Of Eden." From there, as strange as it may seem, I ran into MTV VJ Sway, who was just hanging out in the VIP section. As we listened to "Hotel California," Sway said, "It's just great to see real authentic, classic musicians jam for the love of the art and the music. The Eagles have touched so many people. Look at this crowd man. There are people from six to 60 here. They have set the bar high at the Hard Rock Park for whoever follows them."

The show continued with "Peaceful Easy Feeling," off of the band's self titled debut album followed by "I Can't Tell You Why" with bassist Schmit on lead vocals, and "One of These Nights."

Following that set, Frey talked to the audience about the next song "Lying Eyes," explaining that it was written in two days, and claiming, "damn, we were good."

Soon after, the boys started mixing in some of their solo hits, starting with Henley's, "Boys of Summer," then into the 1979 Eagles classics, "In The City," and "The Long Run," and the Walsh smash, "Life's Been Good To Me So Far," and Henley's, "Dirty Laundry," which was accompanied by a very well edited segment on the video screen mounted on the back of the stage depicting tabloid junk from the National Enquirer and "The View," to Fox News and CNN.

The show continued with the Walsh/James Gang classic "Funk # 49," then "Heartache Tonight," and finally finishing with "Life in the Fast Lane."

All I can say is, wow. The crowd at the amphitheatre went crazy, demanding an encore they were most assuredly going to receive. The band came back to finish with "Take it Easy," and shocked everyone in attendance (I'm being completely sarcastic), by finishing off the incredible night with "Desperado."

Whether you got comp tickets from someone in town, or paid the rather high price ($250) for the two-day concert package that included The Moody Blues on Tuesday, it was a show well worth seeing.

DF, thanks for posting that. It was so complimentary that it was almost like being there. How I wish more reviewers would get the vibe from the audience and stifle their own (or editor's) opinions!

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Thanks for the wonderful articles, DF! Some great compliments to the boys for a change.

TBF, I feel for you, girl. Money is tight these days. You only have ONE 20th Anniversary, though, and this is also your chance to make your life-long dream come true. I still can't believe how much money I spent to achieve my dream, but Lord knows, I don't regret it. Given some of the hell I've been through since, the knowledge that I did that has been keeping me going. I suppose what I'm saying is this: JUST DO IT! You'll be talking about the experience for years to come. Sometimes you just have to put good sense to one side and put your dreams first.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Thanks, DF! Great article!
    Let somebody love you, before it's too late..

What a great review! Thanks for posting that, DF!

And TBF - go for it!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

That's a great review DF. Thanks for posting it.

I found another great one, from the HuntingtonNews.net. This writer, who is a devoted fan of both Eagles music and racing, draws interesting parellels between the Eagles and racing stars.
    -----------------

June 11, 2008

On NASCAR: Hendrick Motorsports Lineup Rolling Along Like a Rock Band

By Cathy Elliott

I don't really know how or why we develop personal affinities for certain celebrities, like musicians or athletes, but they are deeply rooted and can last a lifetime.

Hundreds of thousands of otherwise ordinary adults, for example, leave their offices a couple of times each year to attend Jimmy Buffett concerts, draped in Mardi Gras beads and dressed in grass skirts and bikini tops made of coconut shells. And those are just the guys.

At a NASCAR event I attended recently, fans patiently stood three rows deep to purchase caps, T-shirts and banners bearing the name and likeness of their favorite driver, Dale Earnhardt Sr. The formidable Mr. Earnhardt has been gone for seven years, but his professional legacy and the love and loyalty of his fans remains undiminished.

Heroes are like that. We see something in them, sometimes definable and sometimes not, that speaks to something in us. We respond by knowing their birthdays, their hometowns and the ages of their kids.

They don't even know our names, but we don't mind. Our lives and memories are filled with their faces, or the sound of their voices. To us, they are friends.

This point was driven home to me in a most literal way when I had the opportunity to attend a concert featuring some musical heroes of my own, the Eagles. As Glenn Frey, Timothy B. Schmit, Joe Walsh, and my beloved soul mate (unbeknownst to him) Don Henley walked onto the stage and the opening bars of "Take It Easy" poured out into the sultry summer evening, I felt like I had been drop-kicked straight back into my childhood.

For an hour and 45 minutes, I was that kid sitting on her bed in the 1970s and painstakingly picking out the chords to "Hotel California" on my guitar, or earnestly belting out "Desperado" in the school talent show.

Like most other groups, the Eagles went through their share of personnel changes over the years, but this particular four-man lineup was the absolute best in the band's history. As I stood there and listened to their disparate yet compatible voices singing the familiar phrases that most of us know by heart, I was reminded of another four-man group which has found a comfortable harmony of its own, although they’re chasing NASCAR Sprint Cup Series trophies rather than Grammy awards.

Each member of Hendrick Motorsports, which has been called racing’s “Dream Team,” seems to have a counterpart in the band with the top-selling album of all time, the Eagles.

Despite a stellar career including work with Poco and Jimmy Buffett's Coral Reefer Band, Timothy B. Schmit probably isn't the first name that comes to mind when someone mentions The Eagles.

I’ll bet Casey Mears can relate to that. Bearing the name of one of auto racing's most famous families, it is easy to imagine that Mears might somehow feel overlooked in comparison to his three superstar teammates. A bit more difficult to understand, though, is the reasoning of those who speculate that Mears' tenure with the team may be nearing its end.

Schmit might look at Mears' situation this way:

"Nothing's wrong as far as I can see ...
    "We make it harder than it has to be ...
    "And I can't tell you why."

The quiet guy at the back of the stage is an absolute genius when he gets busy. Sometimes Don Henley goes unnoticed, obstructed by that drum kit, but when he decides to advertise his presence, there's no way to hide his unparalleled talent.

Henley reminds me of Jimmie Johnson. Although Johnson is hardly hidden, he is a member of a group with a flashy front man who also happens to be a four-time champion.

This position has not been a deterrent for Johnson, the reigning two-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champ. In fact, Johnson's competitive credo might well have been penned by Henley himself. "Put me on a highway, show me a sign …
    “And take it to the limit, one more time."

With his TV star good looks and gregarious stage presence, a far cry from the “grunge” image embraced by many rock musicians, Glenn Frey has become the face of the Eagles franchise. Jeff Gordon had a similar impact on NASCAR when he came on the scene 15 years ago, embarking on a lengthy streak of winning races, championships and fans.

It has been seven years since his series title (of four), but Gordon shows no signs of worry. Experience has undoubtedly taught him a lesson or two about patience, taking one race at a time, and using each experience as a building block for the next. It smacks of Frey’s famous philosophy.

"Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy ...
    “We may lose, and we may win, but we will never be here again ...
    “So take it easy."

Schmit is respected, Frey is admired and Henley commands something akin to reverence, but Joe Walsh is the Eagle who makes a room erupt.

Walsh hasn’t written nearly as many mainstream hits as his counterparts. He sometimes seems reluctant to interact too closely with the public, allowing his band mates to do most of the talking, but when he picks up that guitar and launches into one of his signature songs, the music speaks for him. Crowds go wild with enthusiasm. They love the guy.

Dale Earnhardt Jr., the most popular driver in all of NASCAR, has never won a NASCAR Sprint Cup Series championship. Consistently good performances have failed to result in a victory so far this season. With every reason in the world to have an inflated ego, he remains one of the most down-to-earth guys in the garage. The roar that goes up when his name is announced during pre-race driver introductions seems to last forever; he acknowledges this approbation with a friendly wave and a smile of genuine appreciation.

Perhaps his well-known appreciation of music has helped Earnhardt take to heart the pragmatic viewpoint of Walsh.

“It's hard to handle this fortune and fame …
    “Everybody's so different; I haven't changed ...
    “Life's been good to me, so far.”

For fans of stock car racing, each event is like a live-action concert featuring their all-time favorite performers. Who can go the distance? We’ll find out, in the long run.

Neither of these groups will remain intact forever, but for now, it is enough to just sit back and enjoy the ride.

In the meantime, one thing is inarguable. To its devotees as well as its drivers, NASCAR remains the supreme example of life in the fast lane.

Thanks for that post DF; I loved it. We are big NASCAR fans too. What a different angle for a story.