Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627

Thread: LROOE press

Default Re: LROOE press

I guess we'll find out from Peekaboo after Tuesday.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Here's a good article that came up on my alert today. According to this woman they didn't even check her purse for a camera. She also says 3 encores, could she be mistaken or shall we hope!!!

http://kckanenwishers.blogspot.com/2...d-it-said.html

I've heard it said...

that a picture is worth a 1,000 words. Well, if that's the case then this post should be very short on words. What I would have paid to be able to take my camera in when we saw THE Eagles in concert this weekend! I knew before we went that they didn't allow cameras and like a good little girl, I obeyed. They didn't even bother stinkin' checkin' peoples bags or anything when we went through security so everyone else had a camera it seemed. So, I did have Boyd take a few discreet photos with his phone. Unfortunately, this means I'm at his mercy as to when I actually get those photos. I've called him twice and emailed him at work today to get him to email them to me...no such luck. Omaha couldn't have been any colder...

I may have been one of the youngest people in the Qwest Center...

There wasn't one song I didn't know...thanks to good upbringing from my Mom...
    Joe Walsh's and Don Henley's music rocks too...Glenn Fry is stinkin' funny... Tim Schmit still looks like a baby...
    VIP passes on the 5th row...dead center...the only way to go...
    3 encores...3 1/2 hours...could have gone on all night....
    Perfect pitch, perfect harmony, unbelievable talent, gracious entertainers, spectacular show...the largest and best I've ever seen. I will definately see them again. I'll go anywhere at any cost. Making my plans already. Definately the biggest musical treat of my life and something I've always wanted to do. It wasn't a disappointment after waiting for so long. It was the perfect birthday present. Will post photos of the action...when I get them!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Three encores?
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border

I can't believe NMW and WITW would be dropped either. Start a set with LWKUA? I don't think so. As for standing up and clapping during this same song? Huh? It's slow. It's a ballad. *

Edit: AND No More Cloudy Days!!!!

One day these reviewers will realise that Glenn IS the band spokesman, he doesn't just 'act' like it.
    Last edited by Freypower; 11-11-2008 at 07:17 PM.

Border Desperado

As far as I can see the article and link that follows has not yet been posted. If it has, well my apologies.

Review: The Eagles at Wachovia Center

By David Hiltbrand
    INQUIRER STAFF WRITER
    The Eagles brought their Long Road Out of Eden tour to the Wachovia Center Monday night.
    The experience was like being invited over to a couple's house to enjoy a beloved old movie that you never get tired of watching. But first your hosts insist that you sit through home movies of their recent cruise ship vacation.
    Before the venerable pop group got to its greatest hits - the expectation of which had packed the building to the rafters - the boys insisted on playing extended selections from their turgid 2007 double album, Long Road Out of Eden.
    In fact, they inflicted this punishing strategy on the audience twice. The 3-hour show was broken into two halves and each portion began with numerous songs from their Walt-Mart special, the band's first collection of new material in 28 years.
    At least Glenn Frey was polite enough to "beg (the crowd's) indulgence" as the band continued to wade through claptrap like "How Long" and "Busy Being Fabulous".
    He made this quasi-apology after paying homage to a South Philly landmark. "Just like the sporting teams, we've moved next door," he said. "But we'll never forget the Spectrum - dressing in Bobby Clarke's locker."
    In all fairness, the songs from Long Road Out of Eden sounded better live than they do on disc. But that's not a terribly high bar to vault. Even with the added verve and focus the Eagles brought to their newer tunes on stage, "Waiting in the Weeds" still seemed interminable. And the album's title track was interminable, an epic and tedious opportunity for Don Henley to exercise his social conscience.
    The bulk of the show was given over to the group's imperishable favorites, beginning with "Hotel California" complete with the requisite call-and-response guitar duet between Joe Walsh and hired gun Steuart Smith.
    The Eagles have long been a jukebox act. They're not interested in reinventing their recordings onstage. They replicate them.
    Which was just dandy with the notably seasoned and ruly crowd at the Wachovia, many of whom seemed to be contemporaries of the 60ish singers on stage.
    I saw my orthopedist going into the arena. He's an expert in joint replacement. I'm not sure if he was there for the show or if he was making a house call.
    The Eagles' catalogue is uniquely suited to note-for-note recreations with its clean, romantic melodies, its tongue-in-groove harmonies and tasteful, restrained musicianship. As Frey sang on "Lyin' Eyes": "My oh my, you sure know how to arrange things." The band's philosophy seems to be: why try to improve on perfection?
    Apparently, though, musicians get finicky as they age. After all the equipment was set up, roadies took the stage with Swiffers to assiduously mop the area where Frey, Henley, Smith, Walsh and bass player Timothy Schmit would stand.
    The band certainly took a democratic approach to performing, with each of the four principals getting his moments in the spotlight as they worked through chestnuts like "Peaceful Easy Feeling", "Take It to the Limit" and "Heartache Tonight".
    Curiously though, the liveliest parts of the night didn't involve Eagles' songs. They emerged from a couple of the band member's solo careers.
    Henley's offerings, such as "Boys of Summer" and "Dirty Laundry", sounded edgier than the Eagles' generally anodyne style.
    During the latter song, the big screen at the back of the stage showed clips of Rupert Murdoch and his Fox News minions, as well as Jerry Springer, the ladies on The View, TMZ, and even Philly exile Jerry Penacoli on Extra.
    The real live wire, as usual, was Joe Walsh, who as he ages, looks more and more like craggy British actor David Warner. Even Walsh's lesser songs, like "In the City" brought the Wachovia crowd to their (its?) feet. And he whipped them into a frenzy with "Rocky Mountain Way", the first encore, and a crackling "Funk #49" which was blasted into overdrive by the Eagles' burly horn section.
    On "Life's Been Good to Me So Far", Walsh donned his helmet-cam, projecting footage of the audience onto the screen. One brazen middle-aged woman in the front row, apparently convinced she was at a Motley Crue concert, flashed him. It was a gratifying and generous show, even if it contained all the precision and spontaneity of a Swiss watch. But then, the Eagles are nonpareil at giving the people what they wanted.
    Last edited by Just Another Hired Hand; 11-30-2008 at 02:38 PM. Reason: spelling

Border Desperado

To read the original article and see the picture you can cut and paste this link:

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/br.../25459629.html
    Last edited by Just Another Hired Hand; 11-30-2008 at 10:59 PM.

Border Desperado

In a past post I directed the reader to an interview a local talk show host conducted with Don Henley the morning before their last concert in Philadelphia. Here is the link:http://thebigtalker1210.com/pages/24858.php

Today, the host, Michael Smerconish (WPHT Radio, 1210 AM Philadelphia)interviewed Ike Richmond, one of the promotions managers for the Wachovia Center. It was Richmond who set up the Don henley interview for Smerconish (If you want to listen to the interview it is posted else where on this site). Smerconish asked Richmond what was the biggest act to play at the Wachovia this year and he replied immediately "The Eagles". I won't put a link here beause there is a lot of audio to listen to before you get to this part of the interview. Mr Richmond simply stated what we on "The Border" already know.
    Last edited by Just Another Hired Hand; 12-16-2008 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Added extra information

I got this in a google alert, Tim made these comments at the Grammy's:

The Eagles continue to tour long and hard in support of their smash 2007 album "Long Road Out of Eden," which has sold 3.2 million copies so far. "I thought it would do fairly well, but it did extremely well," group member Timothy B. Schmit said. Schmit is working on "a little solo thing" but said the Eagles are not in the studio or writing at present.
    Here's the whole article on Grammy red carpet news:
    http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/...03939791.story