Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: LROOE press

Stuck on the Border

Here is the cover:

Don, we know you wish it was only a single disc.

I hope that Glenn gets interviewed as well.

This is the first time since 1979 and it is a big event.

Glenn did get interviewed, FP--all four of them did. They all had very interesting things to say. I think you will enjoy reading it.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I like that picture of all of them except Don. Okay, we said earlier in this thread that we shouldn't diss Don's boots anymore. And I agree - that is such a sweet story about how he wears the boots for his Dad. However, we didn't say anything about hair. I don't like Don's beard there - too much gray. Stop trying to look old, Don - keep all of the gray hidden!!!! Can't wait until this issue hits the newsstands. I want that picture even with Don's gray facial hair.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Wow, what a sweet story about the boots. I'm never complaining again either!

I can't wait to read the whole article!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Wow, thanks for the info and the link, DF. 1979 to 2008 - quite a gap. I'm pleased that Charles Young has given them a good review - I still remember that baseball match!

Don's explanation about his boots is touching.

I'm going to be calling in daily to see if this is in my local newsagent.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

So am I!!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

I got it yesterday from Barnes and Noble over in the Woodlands (visiting the parents in Houston). I read it over - a few comments:

- I've always loved Don with facial hair and I still do. It's so edgy and masculine. Love the outfit, too.

- I noticed that Felder was cropped out of the 1978 photo of the Eagles, and the only former Eagle not interviewed (there were brief bits from Randy and Bernie in a sidebar, but Felder's quotes came exclusively from his book). Ouch! Also, Young took a Glenn quote from Felder's book without citing (Young wrote "Frey has been quoted..." and left out the "by Felder in his book"). It's the old passive voice cop-out. Tsk, tsk, Young!

- I wish there were more new/recent photos.

- I love that opening portrait of Don amongst computer screens and HD TVs. So much for the "Henley as technophobe" perception, erroneously derived from his hostility towards the internet.

- While I felt Young spent too much time reminiscing about his 1978/1979 trip with the Eagles, I did find the recouting of an old conversation with Don funny. Back in 1979, they'd complained about the sound quality of vinyl, yet nowadays, many classic rockers (including Don) have expressed nostalgia for LPs.

- I was impressed that Don gave props to John McCain. Many people are so rabid about their party affiliation that they demonize anyone who is a member of the opposing party. Those kind of self-righteous people and the divisive hatred they spew about anyone who disagrees with them are what's wrong with this country, I believe. I'm glad Don hasn't fallen into that trap. It makes me respect him even more.

- Don admits he "stewed about" not getting his way with the double album. I guess that explains all the pissy interviews he gave around its release! But, happily, he's gotten over it, although he did say that he still thinks it should have been a single album. (One would think the album's #1 status has vindicated Glenn's decision to make it a double album.)

- Young compares Glenn Frey to Jack Kerouac and Don Henley to the prophet Jeremiah when discussing the themes of their music in the seventies. I found these comparisons interesting, but I dislike the tendency to put each into a thematic box. This flaw persists in the article.

- I liked how Young describes Glenn's laugh as "explosive" and "contagious." However, his "coiled energy" thing - how everyone is grateful when he doesn't "uncoil" in their direction - is very reminiscent of what Young wrote about Glenn in the 1979 article. In 1979, he quoted Glenn's mom, who said Glenn was like a rattlesnake waiting to strike. Get a bit more creative, Chuck.

- I was happy to see that Young gave Glenn props for stepping back and allowing Don to share the spotlight back in the day.

- Glenn's statement that the Eagles were a vacation now from the demanding (and rewarding) job of being a husband/father really illustrates how different his life is now. I love his positive attitude and appreciation for what he has.

- When Tim talks about his time after the Eagles broke up and before the resumption, he characterizes his backup work as "whoring." Yikes! I do like that he admits that he didn't have it so bad when compared to the everyday working man.

- Loved the bit about Don's workboots.

- I was interested to read Don's responses to the Felder lawsuit, since I thought he'd never comment on it. I think he should have toned down the "Felder didn't bring anything to the party" angle. I mean, the man co-wrote Hotel California! Glenn remains silent on the topic, refusing to trash Felder publicly even in the name of self-defense (this even though he was Felder's main target).

- Who knew Joe was a Buddhist? Good for him going to church on Easter morning, though.

- Joe's comments on the dangers of digital editing to a perfectionist like Don made me laugh!

- I also loved Joe's reaction to Don's comment that he wished they had taken a few more months with the album. He says "Then it would have been a TRIPLE album!"

- At one point, Glenn says that without Don Henley, the Eagles would be Air Supply. I know he was just being humble and praising Don to the skies as he always does; however, the statement inadvertantly diminished not only himself but Joe and Tim. I wish he wouldn't build up Don by putting himself down.

All in all, while I wish Young had focused more about the music and less about the power struggles, and while I wish he had avoided the reductive Glenn-fun-loving-arranging/Don-gloomy-political-lyricist stereotypes, I'm glad the Eagles did the interview. Very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by SodaScouts
    - I've always loved Don with facial hair and I still do. It's so edgy and masculine. Love the outfit, too!
    I like the facial hair too. I wondered about the outfit, though--Don's son Will must be a boy scout.

- I love that opening portrait of Don amongst computer screens and HD TVs. So much for the "Henley as technophobe" perception, erroneously derived from his hostility towards the internet.
    My thoughts exactly. I was also pleased to read Don's comments about John McCain.

- At one point, Glenn says that without Don Henley, the Eagles would be Air Supply. I know he was just being humble and praising Don to the skies as he always does; however, the statement inadvertantly diminished not only himself but Joe and Tim. I wish he wouldn't build up Don by putting himself down.
    That is not how I perceived Glenn's comments at all. Glenn said: "Don has an incredible ability to get the message across and be entertaining at the same time. That is such an important component of the band. You can't just go 'tadummm-We're all going to hell in a Hummer--tadummm.' Not being contrived is what sets us apart. Without Don, we'd just be love songs and harmonies. We'd be Air Supply."

He said Don is an important component of the band--he doesn't say THE most important. There are four important components in this band. I'm afraid I don't see how that comment diminishes himself and the others.

Quote Originally Posted by DonFan
    That is not how I perceived Glenn's comments at all. Glenn said: "Don has an incredible ability to get the message across and be entertaining at the same time. That is such an important component of the band. You can't just go 'tadummm-We're all going to hell in a Hummer--tadummm.' Not being contrived is what sets us apart.
    Nothing about this section of the quote diminishes anyone. It's a great description of Don's abilities and an important element of his contributions, which are incontrovertibly essential to the band.

But Glenn doesn't stop there. He follows it with..

Without Don, we'd just be love songs and harmonies. We'd be Air Supply."
    Unless you're a big fan of Air Supply, then this last comment diminishes everyone but Don.

Stuck on the Border

I think the 'Air Supply' thing is far, far too harsh and self-deprecating. There is NOTHING WRONG with Glenn's songs. The other thing is Glenn chooses to write songs like that. If he thinks they are so unimportant and trivial why then doesn't he try writing songs more in Don's vein? Does he really think he is so unequal to the task? He is very generous to Don and what he says has some truth. But there is no need to downgrade himself so much.

I wouldn't mind this so much if occasionally Don would favour us with some compliments to Glenn. Instead we get the 'Mr Frey wants to do this' stuff.

And I agree with Soda's last comments on the Glenn and Don stereotypes. There is far more to them both than that.