Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: LROOE press

Glenn is the king of self-deprecation. At solo shows, the vast majority of his jokes are at his own expense. Now, these are all in good fun, of course. However, it goes to illustrate that despite those who would accuse him of an oversized ego, he acts very humble. He is always generous with his praise of his bandmates and reluctant to "toot his own horn." Indeed, he's often downplaying his own contributions in favor of others (as the above quote shows).

Still, I don't think that he considers his own songs unimportant or his work to be inferior to Don's, although his comment does seem to imply that. I just think he was trying to compliment Don and went too far.

I also want to add that while Don doesn't directly compliment Glenn in the article, the way he talks about Glenn's role as leader shows that Don respects Glenn and it is an indirect compliment. Additionally, we don't know what was edited out by Young. It's possible that Don did praise Glenn directly and Young simply left it out in favor of the drama.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by SodaScouts
    I also want to add that while Don doesn't directly compliment Glenn in the article, the way he talks about Glenn's role as leader shows that Don respects Glenn and it is an indirect compliment. Additionally, we don't know what was edited out by Young. It's possible that Don did praise Glenn directly and Young simply left it out in favor of the drama.
    Good point. Believe me, I am very well acquainted with writers and editors, and the choices that are made in editing can be questionable.

And as for the two of them complementing each other: personally, Glenn's oft-quoted statement that "No one can suck the fun out of a room faster than Don Henley" gets on my nerves, and that quoted again in this article, too.

Quote Originally Posted by DonFan
    And as for the two of them complementing each other: personally, Glenn's oft-quoted statement that "No one can suck the fun out of a room faster than Don Henley" gets on my nerves, and that quoted again in this article, too.
    Glenn said that privately 30 years ago. We only know about it because Felder put it in his book.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with this quote.

Wow, I hope I can get my hands on this edition of Rolling Stone - all the comments here are very interesting.

Thanks for your analysis, Soda - much appreciated.

FP, thanks for posting the cover for us - good Lord, the guys look so good.

Glenn certainly is very humble, although I don't think comparing the Eagles with Air Supply if they were without Don is necessarily a put down of himself or the others. Air Supply is a good band - he was just making the point that Don is the topical writer in the band, IMHO, which is the case. Glenn has written great topical material in the past, but we know his preference for love songs, and as FP states, there is nothing wrong with that. His writing and voice are exquisite, and every bit as good as Don. Their styles complement each other, and make what the Eagles are - not exclusively love songs, or exclusively topical material either. Variety is the spice of life, and the Eagles give us a variety - one of the reasons I love them so much. They are never boring. Add to Glenn and Don the gentle singing of Tim and the hard rocking of Joe, and you get one of the most versatile bands in the world.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I'm really enjoying everyone's comments here and cannot wait to get hold of a copy for myself! It's got to be pretty cool for The Eagles to find themselves on the cover of the Rolling Stone again after all these years!

The comment about the band being like Air Suppy made me nearly choke on my coffee with laughter! I can't even imagine Joe Walsh being in the same sentence as Air Supply!

They all look great in that pic, too!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

R.I.P.

Its true the comments at Glenn's solo shows are normally good natured and humorous, but he shocked even my deviant ears a few years ago at a show in Vegas, saying he missed the '70s because it was the golden age of f****ng. And specualting about sex with Jenna Jameson. Quite the potty mouth that nite.
    should I stay or go, or should I do some blow.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Hmmm - Wonder what Glenn had on his mind that night. Oh nevermind, I forgot - what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas!

I haven't had a chance to buy the Rolling Stone magazine yet, but it sounds very interesting. I'm anxious to read it.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

My friend just emailed me to let me know she went out at lunch and picked up a copy of Rolling Stone for me (I live and work in a small town where it could be days before we would see it on the stands here). I cannot wait to get my hands on it tonite when she drops it off on her way home. I thought that was very nice of her to think of me!!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Out on the Border freyfantastic61's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glenneaglesfan

I'm going to be calling in daily to see if this is in my local newsagent.
    Hi good news for us GEF as this issue of Rolling Stone is in our shops from this coming wed'21st!! Yipee I have reserved my copy luv FF61

They also have a brief interview with Charles Young about his experience with the Eagles and their infamous softball game:

"The Eagles and Charles M. Young: Behind the Cover Story"