Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: LROOE Tour Set List

Default Re: LROOE Tour Set List

And I don't think this would be an issue if they would just quit dropping songs - any songs. I understand if one of them is not feeling well and simply unable to do the song justice but then it should be put right back in. C'mon guys - quit cutting songs! What'd they start with - nine songs from LROOE? And now they're doing - what - seven?
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    And I don't think this would be an issue if they would just quit dropping songs - any songs. I understand if one of them is not feeling well and simply unable to do the song justice but then it should be put right back in. C'mon guys - quit cutting songs! What'd they start with - nine songs from LROOE? And now they're doing - what - seven?
    PM - ITA!!! I said in the other thread where this was being discussed that this is what I have a major problem with as well. I really believe that one of the reasons the formula that the band has used has been so successful is because even though the band's tickets are among the most expensive of any touring act, fans didn't feel too cheated because they were getting a 3-hour, 30 song set list. I'm not sure that will continue if the band is only going to perform a 2 1/2 hour, 26 or 27 song show. I think the fans deserve 28 songs at the very least. But we'll see - I've been wrong before.

Quote Originally Posted by luvthelighthouse View Post
    But Dreamer... don't you think with a set list of 28 songs that they could play 10 LROOE songs (remember it's a double disc and could be treated as two albums) and 18 hits?
    ltl - I was very satisfied with the mix of old and new in the shows I saw (they performed 9 LROOE songs in a 28 song set list). Now again, would I personally have loved to have heard more LROOE material - absolutely. BUT, I honestly don't think the casual fans around me wanted too. This is JMHO based on what I observed.

I'll go ahead and post my list of the LROOE songs I would include should the band be inclined to let me prepare their set list.

1st Set Openers

How Long
    Busy Being Fabulous
    Do Something
    Last Good Time In Town

These are the four songs I would open the show with. Even though BBF isn't a favorite of mine, it is probably the right choice. I personally like Do Something much more than I Don't Want To Hear Any More and would love to hear it live. Joe's new songs are a toss up for me. Honestly, Guilty of the Crime probably plays better live, but I love LGTIT too.

Acoustic Set

No More Walks In the Woods (opener)
    Waiting In the Weeds

No More Walks In the Woods is not a favorite of mine either, but it is awesome live, and, again, I think it is the right choice. Actually, I'd much rather hear Seven Bridges Road and would gladly give up a LROOE song to hear it. If I replaced it with another LROOE song it would be What Do I Do With My Heart. And yes - even though I love the song, I cut No More Cloudy Days since this was performed throughout the F1 tour.

2nd Set Opener

Somebody

Ist Encore

Long Road Out of Eden
    I Dreamed There Was No War

I think this is an interesting topic, so I hope others will respond.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

I do like your thinking, Dreamer. I agree with your four openers. I would always have had Do Something and LGTIT. They are much better songs than the ones currently played (IMO).

I can't bear for NMCD to be cut. I have only seen it once. But I think either WDIDWMH, YANA or IYWN would work in that slot.

If you are talking about crowd pleasers, then IDTWNW would have to be substantially rearranged. I suspect that these 'casual fans' would not take to Glenn and an acoustic guitar, good showcase for him though it would be. It could be played before NMWITW. I would LOVE the title track to be an encore.

Somebody MUST remain. My question to Glenn is how will the song build a following amongst 'casual fans' if he continues to drop it? It rocks.

My controversial choice here is that Dirty Laundry should be replaced by Business As Usual. No, not Frail Grasp. Its lyrics are a bit contentious. BAU, I believe, would go down well.

I previously posted in this thread about the older Eagles songs which I would like to see dropped and I make no further comment except to say that for me an Eagles show without New Kid In Town is missing something extremely vital.

It is very interesting to hear which LROOE tracks others would like included in a live show. My own list doesn't differ too much from Dreamer's, except that I would like to hear Guilty Of The Crime instead of Last Good Time In Town. Very simply, I prefer it on the album, and I can well imagine that it does play better live. It's fun, and, for some reason, I just can't quite get to grips with LGTIT.

Long Road Out Of Eden and Waiting In The Weeds are absolute musts, in my mind. They are my two favourite songs on the album and I cannot wait to hear them live. Lyrically and musically, they are masterpieces. I also think No More Walks In The Wood should stay. I would love to hear Seven Bridges Road, but in the absence of that, this song live will send tingles up my spine. I've grown to really appreciate it on the album. It's haunting and the lyrics are beautiful. Vocally, superb.

I've stated before that it took me a while to really see what all the fuss was about regarding Somebody, but I love it now. I can imagine Glenn rocking it on stage, and for that reason I think would be a shame if it were dropped. It's a chance for them to have a bit of fun.

I would not include I Dreamed There Was No War, purely because I think there are others that the crowd would enjoy more live. I do admire this piece of music though, and I would certainly consider it a treat if I had the opportunity to hear it performed.

FP's idea of replacing Dirty Laundry with Business As Usual is interesting. I like it in theory, although DL is certainly more of a crowd-pleaser, and probably a stronger song, on the whole. I'm a fan of BAU though, and I can see the comparison in terms of the sentiments within the songs. I would love to see Frail Grasp included. That's probably more down to my own desire to see Don performing this song (!) but I could see it working. Yes, I guess it's controversial, but people know what to expect from the Eagles. Not necessarily an 'easy ride', lyrically! It's funky, too.

Do Something is one of my personal favourites - sweet and uplifting. I would much rather this than I Don't Want To Hear Any More. BBF is a great song, and any chance to see Don out front is fine by me

Given their back catalogue, it must be extremely difficult to decide what songs to play. It's fun speculating and constructing 'dream' lists, but I guess it's impossible to satisfy everybody. I agree with PM about cutting songs though - I do find it a bit disheartening. I would love to be a fly on the wall when they're talking about these things!

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    If you are talking about crowd pleasers, then IDTWNW would have to be substantially rearranged. I suspect that these 'casual fans' would not take to Glenn and an acoustic guitar, good showcase for him though it would be. It could be played before NMWITW. I would LOVE the title track to be an encore.
    FP, I don’t understand why you think IDTWNW would have to be rearranged. First of all, in Niagara Falls, Glenn performed the song with an electric guitar, not an acoustic, with very subtle, but beautiful backup from the band. The song is only about 2 ½ minutes long, so I certainly don’t think he would have any trouble holding the crowd's attention. I mean some of the intros to songs like HC, Funk #49, and Heartache Tonight are almost that long. I do agree that it could also work at the beginning of the acoustic set to replace the unrecognizable song that they are playing now. BTW, that reminds me that I’ve been meaning to post this question for a long time now – does anyone know the name of the song that they are currently playing? I seriously don’t recognize it as anything the guys in the band have ever composed.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    My controversial choice here is that Dirty Laundry should be replaced by Business As Usual. No, not Frail Grasp. Its lyrics are a bit contentious. BAU, I believe, would go down well.
    Now, I am one that thinks that The Boys of Summer and Dirty Laundry should never be dropped. However, I also think that at least one of Glenn’s solo songs should be included – You Belong To the City rocks live! (hint hint) I do like Business As Usual a lot, but if I were going to include it, I would have to drop Busy Being Fabulous.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Here are the LROOE songs I would like to hear on this tour, random order:

1) How Long - Great Opener
    2) Busy Being Fabulous - Fun to sing along with
    3) Do Something - I actually like and enjoy this song
    4) Last Good Time In Town - Again, I actually like this song
    5) It's Your World Now - This touches my "right here" spot - emotional and I love it
    6) I Don't Want to Hear Anymore - Not because I love the song, but just for more TBS
    7) Somebody - not because I like it, but I've had the pleasure of it live and it does rock live
    LROOE - Because it IS the LROOE tour and should be played!
    9) Waiting in the Weeds - agruably my favorite song on the CD
    10) No More Walks in the Woods - I'd rather Seven Bridges Road, but as far as a capella, I'll take what I can get too.

As for solo songs/ pre-Eagles I'd like one from each guy.
    Walk Away or Funk 49
    Boys of Summer
    The One You Love - probably not popular choice, but my fav solo Glenn
    Keep on Tryin'

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Not that it matters, but my 2 cents...

How Long---I think you have to open with this. Anyone who has gone to a concert on the current tour knows what I'm talking about here. I can't even describe the feeling in my gut when that first opening note played and the lights went up for this song!
    Do Something---I just have always liked this one better than IDWTHAM.
    Guilty Of The Crime--I could probably go either way on this one, I honestly wouldn't care if it was replaced by LGTIT. Like them both.
    No More Walks In The Wood-Love it and it has to stay.
    Waiting In The Weeds-IMHO, it's the best song on the cd! Period!
    Long Road Out Of Eden-I really don't care much for this song but it does play better live than I ever thought it would and, hey, it is the LROOE tour so I guess have to have it.
    Somebody-Honestly, I didn't pay any attention to this song until I saw it live. It Rocks!!!!!
    Fast Company-This is where I switch it up a bit. I really dig this song and would love to see how they would perform it live. I know I am in a minority here.
    No More Cloudy Days-I know it was performed in F1 concerts but I still think it's worth seeing in this, tour also.
    Business As Usual-Actually, I could put any other song off of the cd here. This just happens to be one of my faves and I would rather see it performed rather than say, Busy Being Fabulous, which I really don't care much for.

I also agree with all of you that, the crowds I saw at concerts had pretty much lukewarm, polite reception of the new stuff but when the oldies but goodies were playing, the places erupted!! People want to see Eagles classics when they come to their concerts. That includes solo stuff by Henley and Walsh more so than Frey or Schmit. I use my husband as an example, as much as he likes the Eagles music (tho he tires of it for some reason at times, LOL) he really came alive when Joe stepped up to the mike, guitar in hand, to rock out on his solo stuff. And as much as it pains me to say it, I fear that if Timothy did break into one of his tunes from a solo album, most of the audience would get up to go to the concession stand or potty. Painful but true in my opinion! Lets face it, the soundtracks of most peoples lives will include songs such as Life's Been Good and Boys Of Summer more so than Something Sad. I think Smuggler's Blues would be a good Glenn solo song if they are ever so inclined to add some of his stuff back into the setlist.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

This are the LROOE songs I would like to hear:

How Long
    Somebody
    Waiting In The Weeds
    Long Road out of Eaden
    Guilty Of The Crime
    Last Good Time In Town
    No More Walks In The Wood
    Busy Being Fabulous
    Do Something
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Stuck on the Border

If people only want to hear 'classics' did they not bother buying Long Road Out Of Eden??? Why does this syndrome persist? If they only want to hear 'classics' why go to see the band? Why not stay and home and play the CDs and DVDs if they are so set against new material. And this works for the band too. If you don't want to play those songs, why did you record the album?

There does seem to be some sort of consensus here about which songs should be played. Some songs, like MOST of Glenn's and COTU, don't appear to be 'live' tracks and sadly never will be, although some lucky Borderers did see Glenn do YANA, IDTWNW and ILTWAWD (which, by the way, I would kill for, but I know it will never happen). I would like to see BAU and FGOTBP - especially if Mr Henley were to prove to us that he actually played drums on these tracks. Who knows.

Regarding YBTTC which Dreamer mentioned, it ran its course, sadly. It will not surface again.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Actually FP, even if they were only singing the classics this time around, I still would of went and seen them just as often as I did. I personally don't care what they are playing, if it's the Eagles singing ANY Eagles song, old or new, group or solo, I'd be there---period!

Trust me, Tim fans feel your pain. We never get to see any of his solo stuff!
    He sings it high, he plays it low