Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: LROOE Tour Set List

Since I have a bit of time to kill before I leave for Heathrow Airport this afternoon, I thought I'd visit The Border for a while. As you all know by now, I want to take my time about my review, as it will probably be one of the most important pieces of writing I have ever done. Therefore it will be drafted, edited and finally copied and pasted for your (hopefully) enjoyment, once I get back to work.

However, in the interim, I thought I'd answer two questions that have been posted here, that a few of you have been wondering about:

"Long Road Out Of Eden": You will all be happy to know that this song was NOT AT ALL EDITED. It was done exactly as they recorded it, which I was very pleased about.

LROOE guitar solo: Joe or Stuart? Once again, you will all be happy to know that JOE PLAYS LEAD GUITAR. Stuart plays his part, complementing Joe, but Joe's work is the focal point of the solo.

Regarding my feelings about the set list, I was pleased with every single song. I admit that I too was hoping to hear WDIDWMH, but I wanted to hear NMCD just as much.

I didn't even notice that TS, AG and NKIT were missing. I enjoyed the new songs so much that the regular songs they didn't do really didn't matter to me. I suppose because it's the first time I saw the Eagles, I was just happy to hear them sing and play, and watch them perform.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Stuck on the Border

I'm really happy to hear all of that. I'd like to know what Don's role was in Somebody. I assume he played guitar. Drumming on new songs for him, apparently, is out.

I can understand that you wouldn't notice the omission of some songs, MF, as this is the first time you have seen the band. For you, it's all new and exciting, and that is good, probably more important than what those of us who've seen them before remember.

When I said in my previous post that Don has only lost one song, I was wrong. He has also lost HITW, if we are being technical about it.

And I am deeply grateful that LROOE wasn't edited. How could it be? It would be like editing Hotel California.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Thanks MF for the great news! I'm so glad to hear Joe is doing the main solo in LROOE!

I am a bit concerned about Don not playing drums in any of the new songs. Do they really need another guitar player?

I do miss AG and NKIT, too. They are two of my favorites. But, they can't play them all obviously. But, they could drop ASWTDIS!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Default set list

I'm so happy for all of you that went, wish we could all have been there with you. The set list is awesome. I love that Timothy got to do 3 songs and that LROOE wasn't shortened, especially since it included a guitar solo by Joe. I was happy to hear that so many of the songs from the new cd were included, how exciting it must be to hear them live. It's sad we don't get to hear some of the older music that we all associate with the Eagles, but can you imagine how long the set list would be if they included ALL the songs we love? Soda Scouts hit the nail on the head. Since this is the LROOE tour, it's to be expected they'd want to do as many of the new songs as possible and still keep those unfamiliar with it happy.
    Mrs Frey, you take all the time you need to get your thoughts down....just not TOO long...we can't wait to hear from you. And that goes for the rest of you that were lucky enough to be there.
    I possess the silver bullets to slay the demons from my past. How do I know? Because I survived them-and I am already stronger than I believe.

I'm so pleased to hear Joe does the LROOE solo! I was so afraid all the heavy lifting would be passed to Stueart. Like Don said on "60 Minutes", nobody plays guitar like Joe Walsh. Rock on, Joe!

I too am dismayed that Henley has become the FOURTH guitar player up there for several songs. I wish he was doing this because Glenn is getting on the piano, but from the photos, that's not likely. If he's just another guitar player, Don might as well turn the guitar over and drum on it like he used to, instead of getting up there and strumming along with the other three guitarists. Now, it's not like he hasn't slapped on the guitar before for songs like Boys of Summer, and I thought it was cute how they all used to line up together. But that should be the exception, not the rule, IMHO, and it's much more understandable on solo songs than Eagles songs. Again, just my humble opinion. Obviously the Eagles don't agree.

Don, you rock on the drums! Don't hand 'em off!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Boy, this has been a loooong 5 days! I've been away from my computer and was only able to get the initial report of the set list on Thursday night at my brother's house. I was on cloud nine after I read the initial reports! I've been dying to read all of the reviews since then. I haven't read those yet, but I've read the posts in this thread. My two cents (which is pretty similar to some of the other comments):

I would've preferred Do Something over IDWTHA and LGTIT over GOTC (I think it's the catchier of the two).

I was surprised about the placement of Hotel California as well, but I'm glad they didn't put it in the second half with WITW and LROOE. I think that may have bogged the second half down with too many slower "epic-y" type songs.

I'm glad to see the solo songs left in - and as much as I still love ASWTDID, I wouldn't have been terribly disappointed to see that one go. I would've sacrificed that one for Glenn's YBTTC or another Eagles tune - maybe WDIDWMY, NKIT, TS, or AG. Aaack! I can't believe AG is, well, gone! I think that will be the one that I will miss the most!

I also would've sacrificed TITTL. Glenn's version is fine, but it's just not the same without Randy. I would've preferred to hear Glenn sing the ones already listed above or even It's Your World Now.

I was surprised to see Witchy Woman in the set list. I can take it or leave it, but I truly hope that Don plays drums on that one at least!

I'm thrilled to see Walk Away, Life's Been Good, and Funk #49! I'm surprised to see RMW as an encore song (like ASWTDID). I think the encore songs should be Eagles songs. The encores - IMHO - should have been TIE and LITFL - 1st encore and AG and Desperado - 2nd encore. I love that they end their shows with Desperado - again that's just my opinion, but it's my favorite song, so it's an extra special treat for me.

Having said all of that, however, I was just absolutely delighted to see how many songs they sang and that it was enough to warrant an intermission. I can definitely live with the set list that they have just to have the opportunity to see them again. Hurry up and come to Michigan, you guys!
    "You don't have to prove nothin' to nobody, just take good care of yourself."

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Having had some time to 'come down' from the experience of being so close to my favourite band, followed by a severe attack of PGW, I am now able to throw in my tuppence worth although its probably not much different from anybody elses!

Main points

I'm glad that the lads were still able to play for over 3 hours. Including the break we were there for nearly 4. I had been worried about comments attributed to Glenn that the gig might have been shorter, but looks like they were unfounded.

While I knew that some of the staples would have to go in order to make some room for the new ones, I was sorry to see AG already Gone and also the sun setting on TS!

While BOS was retained I was sorry that Glenn didn't get a chance to do at least one song from his solo era. In saying that I think we expected this to happen.

The selection chosen from LROOE was excellent and I was delighted that the title track was performed in its entirety. But I'd have loved to have had WDIDWMH! I would love to see the Glenn /Don interaction in it unfold live in front of me. I'd also have loved to see Glenn do YANA but I think it would be too personal to him to do it as part of an Eagles gig.

My favourite moment had to be when Glenn took off his jacket and then proceeded to take the lead on 'Somebody'. (Pity the tie and a few buttons didn't follow ). He was just so HS&G singing it and totally 'in charge'. I could have listened to him forever.

I'd have loved to see Glenn take a few more leads.

Oh and from TIMTOT!
    She would have loved to hear 'Fast Company' which is really growing on her when I have the cd on in the car, and would have liked to have heard Tim on 'Do Something' as well. But overall she loved her first Eagles concert!

So they are my humble opinions. It remains to be seen if they will stick with this format in all their gigs or whether they will allow some refinements along that way.

All in all a great night.....

and .....

I am even more with Glenn Frey
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Thank you, Ga. It's great to hear some after the moment comments. I know you must be suffering from PGW as well as PEW.

I can only hope they continue this wonderful tour in the US ASAP!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

SEVERE PEW and PGW! Particularly PGW!

Thanks for your comments Brooke. I hope they make it near you soon as well. Over here the radio people are calling out for them too! Dublin dates would be great! I'd go to them all!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    I'm not sick of those songs you list, although frankly if Dirty Laundry went I would not lose any sleep. The songs I would like to see go are The Long Run and In The City as well as ASW, Sunset Grill and LWKUA. If Glenn has to lose any I would go with PEF and/or TITTL.

The LROOE songs I would not like to see are IDWTHA and GOTC. But given that those have already been played live, I guess they will stay. Regarding Fast Company I wouldn't object to it. What I really want is for Don to play drums on a couple of these songs.
    Re-reading this thread I see how wrong I got this. The only one of the songs I wanted dropped which has been,was Sunset Grill.

My disappointment that Don has chosen not to play drums on even ONE new song remains. I know he's over 60. The suspicion unfortunately has to be that he didn't play drums on the album at all, even though he is credited with it. It is a novelty to see him playing guitar behind Glenn and sharing a mic with Tim when so often it is the other way around.

I wish they'd had a bit more faith in the songs they wrote. They are doing too many new songs by outside artists. The only new songs written by the band that they are playing live are BBF, WITW, NMCD and LROOE. NMWITW was arranged by Don & Steuart but is based on a poem by someone else.

I honestly don't think it would hurt Glenn to at least try WDIDWMH. I think he would be surprised by the response it would get. I still think the second half of the show is too safe and too reliant on Joe and Don's solo material.