Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harry Dean Stanton, R.I.P.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Harry Dean Stanton, R.I.P.

Was Mr. Stanton part of the Troubadour scene back in the day? His New York Times obit says he was a serious musician.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/15/m...r.html?mcubz=0

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Harry Dean Stanton, R.I.P.

NMB - Yeah, he was part of the Troubadour crowd. I did not know he was that much older than most of them. RIP.

Right off the top of my head I remember him as Molly Ringwold's father in "Pretty in Pink" and a country musician who chastises Bette Midler's character in "The Rose." I know he was in a lot of other films, too. He certainly lived a long life.

RIP

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

On Friday me and my friend were driving around and play-acting his scenes with Warren Oates in Two-Lane Blacktop. A few seconds later, our friend in the back send read about his passing on his phone and told us about it - and he wasn't even paying attention to what we were doing . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Sun View Post
    On Friday me and my friend were driving around and play-acting his scenes with Warren Oates in Two-Lane Blacktop.
    Oh my gosh, I forgot he was in that movie. He was the gay hitchhiker? I vividly remember his scene in The Rose (it was just one scene, I'm pretty sure! But it's searing) but don't remember him at all in Pretty in Pink.

OT: James Taylor claims he's never watched Two-Lane Blacktop to this day; can you believe?? He doesn't say why though. Maybe he thought he was bad in it or something.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I loved him as Andie's dad in "Pretty in Pink" too and how he was there for her as a single dad and giving advice to her and Ducky. He was in so many movies and shows and such a great actor.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Oh my gosh, I forgot he was in that movie. He was the gay hitchhiker? I vividly remember his scene in The Rose (it was just one scene, I'm pretty sure! But it's searing) but don't remember him at all in Pretty in Pink.

OT: James Taylor claims he's never watched Two-Lane Blacktop to this day; can you believe?? He doesn't say why though. Maybe he thought he was bad in it or something.
    Yes, he was the gay hitchhiker

In the Criterion Collection dvd extras, Monte Hellman interviews James Taylor. At the end, JT says something along the lines of "it's been long enough, maybe i'll watch it now." I doubt he did. I stayed at Monte Hellman's place in Laurel Canyon for a few days last fall (Airbnb) and asked him about it, and he said he didn't think he watched it either.

Stuck on the Border

Wow, I did not know he was in Pretty In Pink and The Rose. It has been so long since I saw both of those movies. I always loved those Molly Ringwold movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Sun View Post
    I stayed at Monte Hellman's place in Laurel Canyon for a few days last fall (Airbnb) and asked him about it, and he said he didn't think he watched it either.
    I bet you heard all kinds of stories. I thought Dennis Wilson did a very good job.

Wow!!! 91. I didn't know he was that old.

I remembered him in a lot of movies. Alien, Pretty in Pink, Christine, and Dream A Little Dream.

I forgot he was in The Rose. Its been years since I've seen that movie. He also starred in The Godfather Part II, but I think it was a very small part. I have to rewatch Private Benjamin. I don't remembered him in that movie.

Here's a list of all the movies and tv appearances he was in. I don't think he was ever the main star of a movie always supporting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_...on_filmography

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley