Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reason behind Bernie Leadon's departure

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Reason behind Bernie Leadon's departure

Bernie has said that he quit the group three or four times before finally leaving. He also said he knew for a long time he was going to leave before he finally did. I think Bernie saw too many people he knew die from their reckless lifestyle. I think he was tired of the whole "sex, drugs and rock & roll" lifestyle. Felder said in his book that Bernie was the only one of them who did not suffer from stomach issues.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    I know this forum has a heavy Glenn and Don bias so this shouldn't be controversial but i found the idea that Bernie left the band due to his ability to play sings he wanted to be either untrue or simply not why he left. I loved Bernie's voice both solo but also with the others but he wasn't a victim in terms of being artistically restrained by the others to play more rockish stuff. On OOTN the Eagles bent over backwards, probably making the album worse, just to satisfy him. They gave him I Wish You Peace, Journey Of The Sorcerer , He wrote Hollywood waltz, and the band kept a country feel to lyin eyes to appease him. He had more songs which featured him on the record then Glenn. What more could he ask for in a band of 5 and an album that had 5 guys sharing lead vocals on songs. They also let his girlfriend come on some parts of the tour which made secret security come along. Stuff like this just makes me blame Bernie for leaving. What do you guys think?
    I guess I don't get the question. Bernie made the choice to leave for personal and professional reasons. I don't think it's a matter of blame or whose fault it was. Sometimes things just don't work out. He walked out after helping to create their sound and contributing to 4 studio albums. He's on one of the the best-selling albums in U.S. history. He made his mark, though some may be loathe to admit it. I don't believe he's ever claimed to be a victim.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    It's also been said by several connected people that Bernie and Glenn started arguing more. (Before anyone puts all of the blame on Glenn, note that Felder writes about Bernie being argumentative and having grown up fighting to be heard in a large family)
    Hearsay? lol, jk

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    I guess I don't get the question. Bernie made the choice to leave for personal and professional reasons. I don't think it's a matter of blame or whose fault it was.
    I was puzzled by the phrasing as well. The post frames everything in an unnecessarily antagonistic fashion from the get-go.

Just the kind of thing to stir up fans.

I don't believe he's ever claimed to be a victim.
    That'll be the day!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    That must have been hard for Bernie to have them bring in Felder - he was Bernie's friend but also a threat employment-wise. Didn't the Eagles tour with Joe Walsh in 1974? Maybe Bernie could see the writing on the wall so to speak and he left before he was pushed out.
    I'm sure I've read something from Bernie where he said that he'd known he would be leaving at some point and the job might as well go to a friend of his.

It's also worth noting that four years was probably Bernie's longest run in one band. At that time of life, if he didn't like the way things were going, he moved on. The difference between this and when he left Dillard and Clark, or The Flying Burrito Bros was that he had enough money to live on.

Stuck on the Border

UTW - So true. I have read interviews where Bernie said he knew he would be leaving quite a while before he actually left. I find it refreshing that Bernie was happy with his decision and never looked back. I'm happy that he made enough money in his tenure with the Eagles to live off the rest of his life. Who wouldn't want that to happen to them. I sure would.
    I wonder how he feels today about all those decisions made by Glenn and Don that made that possible.

Out on the Border BerniesSurfboard's Avatar

I think Bernie's a free spirit, and that has played a large role in his tendency to group jump over his career.

However, I do think Glenn Frey made it easy on Bernie to leave. Their personalities seem to have always rubbed each other raw.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by BerniesSurfboard View Post
    I think Bernie's a free spirit, and that has played a large role in his tendency to group jump over his career.
    However, I do think Glenn Frey made it easy on Bernie to leave. Their personalities seem to have always rubbed each other raw.
    Bernie's Surfboard - I think saying Glenn and Bernie not getting along was mainly responsible for his leaving the Eagles is simplifying things to a degree. Glenn and Bernie seemed to clash during OTB and even more so during the making of OOTN. Felder, who was a close friend, stated in his book that Bernie could be difficult to get along with, had a temper, and was bull headed. Bernie did not want to do the constant touring, had stopped using drugs, and did not want to move in a more rock direction. Also, Don H. stated Bernie did not like the huge fame that came with the success of OOTN(see CBS This Morning Intv. 12/16). In short, I think there were numerous reasons for Bernie leaving. He was happy with his decision and never looked back. He was asked back for the HOTE tour and all was well between him and Glenn when Glenn passed.

Out on the Border BerniesSurfboard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Bernie's Surfboard - I think saying Glenn and Bernie not getting along was mainly responsible for his leaving the Eagles is simplifying things to a degree. Glenn and Bernie seemed to clash during OTB and even more so during the making of OOTN. Felder, who was a close friend, stated in his book that Bernie could be difficult to get along with, had a temper, and was bull headed. Bernie did not want to do the constant touring, had stopped using drugs, and did not want to move in a more rock direction. Also, Don H. stated Bernie did not like the huge fame that came with the success of OOTN(see CBS This Morning Intv. 12/16). In short, I think there were numerous reasons for Bernie leaving. He was happy with his decision and never looked back. He was asked back for the HOTE tour and all was well between him and Glenn when Glenn passed.

Well, yeah. I could have cited all of those things too - I simply summarized all of those things and came to the conclusion that Bernie had all of those things and changes going on in his life, and the incident with Glenn coaxed it to happen.

Me personally I’m not so sure I really buy the musical direction as being a major factor in him leaving. I think the fighting, the touring, and just his desire to have a more laid back live were more important. He mentioned that narrative is not 100% accurate and he had the most input on any album on OOTN. Between the intentional country feel of Lyin Eyes, I wish you peace, hollywood waltz, and Journey of the sourcerer. I feel that he just wanted to live a more relaxed life and do the things he wanted without the stress