Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Today in Randy History

Default Re: Today in Randy History

Today in 1981, Randy and the Silverados opened for The Beach Boys in Biloxi, MS. The venue was the Mississippi Coast Coliseum.

photo courtesy of the Randy Meisner Concert Chronology

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Wow that’s pretty cool! As an eagles fan I’d probably be more excited to see Randy but having The Beach Boys too would have been a great concert

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Thank you, D! Good lord, Brian was with them too. I bet Randy is a Beach Boys fan, don't you think? Any appreciator of vocal harmony would have to be (perhaps I presume too much).

That is cool, thanks Delilah! The eighties seems like yesterday and should not be 30+ years ago....ugh I'm old.

OT: The 90's being so long ago freaks me out. I came across a Nirvana concert on VHS (I know, I know...) that *feels* like I taped it and put it away not so very long ago, but... ohhh myyy. One by one, we are all becoming shades, to paraphrase James Joyce.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Thank you, D! Good lord, Brian was with them too. I bet Randy is a Beach Boys fan, don't you think? Any appreciator of vocal harmony would have to be (perhaps I presume too much).
    I agree Randy is probably a fan, although I can’t think of any instance where he mentioned them. My guess is he got to know them at least from this tour.

Don H seems to have been a fan, though I don’t think Brian quite reciprocated.

But the approval that all musicians ultimately crave evades them. Darian Sahanaja – a sideman with Brian Wilson, unarguably the founding father of Californian rock – recently gave an illuminating anecdote to the Colorado Springs Independent. Sahanaja and Wilson were in their dressing room at a fundraiser in New York when Henley and latter-day Eagle Timothy B Schmidt walked in.

“Don was kind of aloof and walking around the room,” said Sahanaja. “And finally, after a few minutes of chatting, Don pulls out a copy of Pet Sounds on CD that he wants Brian to sign. So Brian grabs it and he signs: ‘To Don, thanks for all the great music’. And he’s handing it back to Don, but before Don can take it he grabs it back he crosses out ‘great’ and puts ‘good music’. The thing is, there’s no irony there. He’s not being funny, he’s really thinking: ‘I wrote “great”, but I don’t think it’s great. But it’s good. It’s good music.’ And he handed it back to Don. And it was perfect.”
    ”Eagles: Heroes or Villains of Rock?” teamrock.com, Oct. 6, 2015

That strange incident is also recounted in Brian's most recent autobiography. I wrote about it in the "Eagles books" thread. Brian has an off-beat sense of humor but I wasn't entirely sure if he was joking. He reported that Don H laughed when he did that, so... who knows.

He spoke warmly about music of the 70s that he enjoyed, particularly mentioning the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac and America. Mr. Wilson and I would get along great. At least we wouldn't fight about what radio station to listen to.

D., did you watch the video that was recently posted in the Tim Schmit forum of the "Caroline, No" recording? Brian was clearly very, very impressed with Timothy's singing.

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Today in 1981, Randy and the Silverados opened for The Beach Boys in Biloxi, MS. The venue was the Mississippi Coast Coliseum.

photo courtesy of the Randy Meisner Concert Chronology
    Good ole Biloxi. I had just turned 1 when they were on the coast. The Beach Boys have came to Mississippi. I think they were just here last year.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    That strange incident is also recounted in Brian's most recent autobiography. I wrote about it in the "Eagles books" thread. Brian has an off-beat sense of humor but I wasn't entirely sure if he was joking. He reported that Don H laughed when he did that, so... who knows.

He spoke warmly about music of the 70s that he enjoyed, particularly mentioning the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac and America. Mr. Wilson and I would get along great. At least we wouldn't fight about what radio station to listen to.

D., did you watch the video that was recently posted in the Tim Schmit forum of the "Caroline, No" recording? Brian was clearly very, very impressed with Timothy's singing.
    No, I haven’t seen that one. I’ll have to check it out as well as your comments in the Eagles Books thread. Thanks.

**April 6, 2008**

Ten years ago today, Randy performed with the World Classic Rockers in Naples, FL. To the best of my knowledge, this was his last public performance.

There was a brief news item about it:
    Naples Music Festival was a success
    Several famous rock musicians from the 70’s and 80’s participated in a benefit concert, which took place on 3rd Street South at the beginning of April. The money and donations will be used to expand the “Garden of Hope and Courage” a park that was opened in 2006 for meditations. The concert was about 6 hours long and included performances by former members of Santana, Eagles, Toto, Steppenwolf and Boston. The regular tickets were $40 each, while the VIP-Ticket, which included a free visit to the restaurants, was $350 each.
    http://www.michaelnaples.com/Naples-...s-May-2008.pdf

This review of sorts mentions Randy by name and includes a photo of the band on stage, though Randy isn’t shown.
    Moving stages. Moving bodies. Moving songs.

Baby-boomers turned out in large numbers Sunday afternoon and evening to hear a little nostalgic music in the streets of downtown Naples.

Hear they did: the music was practically audible from the beach.

And, with strong breezes blowing, the scents in the air also were recognizable: suntan lotion and jasmine.

In addition to Puckett, who formed with the Union Gap band in 1967, performers scheduled to appear were: Gin Blossoms ("Til I Hear It From You,") Rembrandts ("I'll Be There for You," the theme from the TV show "Friends"); Powerhouse; Aynsley Dunbar from Journey; Randall Hall from Lynyrd Skynyrd; Fergie Frederiksen from Toto; Alex Ligertwood from Santana; Nick St. Nicholas and Michael Monarch from Steppenwolf; Barry Goudreau from Boston; and Randy Meisner from The Eagles.
    ”Downtown Naples musical festival takes concert-goers down memory lane” by I.M. Stackel, Naples Daily News, April 6, 2008