Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Today in Randy History

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Today in Randy History

Maybe we could ask Rusty, he seems to make himself accessible to the fans. Heck, maybe we'll even get to read his long-promised autobiography soon!

I'm not so sure that signing to Apple would have been the best thing for the band. It didn't seem to do much for James Taylor or Jackie Lomax.

Being an uptight nerdy sort, I would like to point out that there's a slight time discrepancy between the Poco Angelfire page saying Pogo's debut at the Troub was in October and Rusty saying November. Also, in Richie Furay's autobiography he said he was aware that people thought RFD stood for Richie Furay's Dream, but it was really just an homage to the "Mayberry RFD" tv show.
    Going to take my medication now...

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Thanks, Delilah! Good to see you On The Border again, missy! 😎
    Thank you, NMB!

Being an uptight nerdy sort, I would like to point out that there's a slight time discrepancy between the Poco Angelfire page saying Pogo's debut at the Troub was in October and Rusty saying November. Also, in Richie Furay's autobiography he said he was aware that people thought RFD stood for Richie Furay's Dream, but it was really just an homage to the "Mayberry RFD" tv show.
    Going to take my medication now...
    As a fellow uptight nerdy sort, I noticed that too. Maybe the November date refers to the first time they were established as “Poco”? Before then they had different names. I didn’t know that about RFD!

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Border Rebel

I found an LA Times article from November 22, 1968 that references their appearance at the Troubadour. They weren't billed as RFD, but as Pogo. They were scheduled to appear from November 22 through December 1. The writer of the article, Pete Johnson, states "... the singing combination of Furay and Meisner is terrific. Both have high, flexible voices which melt together in delightful harmonies and separate for strong solos." He also says, "The show is, in fact, one of the best I've seen this year." High praise from someone who probably saw many, many acts there! Welcome back, Delilah!

Thanks for that tidbit, My My, that's just wonderful to read.

Sweet Randy was only 22. That must have been terrific for a small-town boy to read such glowing praise about himself in the Los Angeles Times.

Well, I’m a day late (and a dollar short) but Jack Tempchin remembered: on Dec 2, 1982 Randy’s “Live in Dallas” was recorded. I love how Jack is so appreciative of Randy’s work.

Sweet Randy was only 22. That must have been terrific for a small-town boy to read such glowing praise about himself in the Los Angeles Times.
    Yes I'm sure it was a proud moment for him! I sure would have loved to see that Troubadour appearance.... Perfect description of their voices from the writer of that article too. I love listening to pre Eagles groups Randy was in. There's lots of it on YouTube - especially with Rick Nelson & the Stone Canyon band...that's good stuff

The date of that article - November 22, 1968 - I was 8 days old lol.

Today in 1981, Randy and the Silverados appeared in one of their first non-televised concerts at the Golden Bear in Huntington Beach, CA.

Here’s a picture of the restaurant/club, courtesy of the Orange County Archives.

The Golden Bear closed down in 1986; there’s a retail center in its place now.

Thank you, Delilah!

May I ask what image hosting service you're using? I still haven't settled on one.

Hi NMB. It’s funny you ask b/c I was having a bit of trouble posting the pic. I’ve been using Photobucket but the picture ended up being too big, and PB is very cumbersome when it comes to re-sizing (at least for me). So I went to postimage.org, b/c there I can re-size pics very easily. But something must have happened since I last used it, b/c it wouldn’t access my photo library. I had to upload from PB to Postimage instead.

Anyway, I guess I use both. Hope that helps.

P.S. I’ve used Imgur before too, but ever since I downloaded the app, I’ve had problems uploading pics.