Thread: Lost demo with Dewey Martin

Default Lost demo with Dewey Martin

According to the linked blog, Randy recorded a demo in the 80s with Dewey Martin, formerly of Buffalo Springfield. Also involved were John York (The Byrds) and Billy Darnell, a session guitarist. At the time, Randy had a band called Open Secret, which Martin and Darnell subsequently joined. Apparently Rick Roberts was also a member and the name was later changed to the Roberts-Meisner Band. I don't know if the name change occurred before or after Dewey Martin left the band.

Another lost recording with Randy, and yet another Randy band!

"Dewey Martin: One Buffalo Heard" nickwarburton.com, June 6, 2008

(the part about Randy is toward the bottom of the article, above the last picture; I didn't put this in the retro press thread b/c somehow 2008 doesn't seem retro!)
    Last edited by Delilah; 09-26-2017 at 04:14 PM. Reason: "Rick" not "Ricky"

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Lost demo with Dewey Martin

Thanks, D. Roberts talked about recording about half a dozen high-quality demos with the Roberts-Meisner Band. He was really proud of the songs and thought it was good work, but there was little interest from record companies. I think this was in "Lame Brain."

That's right, I remember you mentioning that about the demos. Reading all that about Dewey Martin, it seems his attempts to establish his own solo career/non-BS band parallels Randy's career in a way. Neither one seemed to get much traction, although Randy did enjoy some modest success.

Good find, Delilah. We learn more and more about dear Randy everyday!

I like that band name "Open Secret." It's sexier than the Roberts-Meisner Band.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post

Thank you, ETG.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    I agree. With all the competition in the music biz, I guess they wanted to take advantage of their name recognition.

Interesting that the article above says Dewey Martin became disinterested in the Roberts-Meisner Band and quit. According to the RM Concert Chronology though, Martin was fired after some shows at the Reno Hilton in Nevada. He needed oxygen just to get through the sets. He must have had some serious health issues.

His Wikipedia entry makes reference an incident from around this time and it involved *another* musician who played with Meis, Augie Meyers:

In the late 80's while touring with Roberts and Meisner, he decided to stay a few extra nights in San Antonio following a gig for the San Antonio Jaycees to see his buddy, musician Augie Myers. Martin told concert producer/musician Raven Alan St. John he had been robbed by hotel maids at the Sierra Royale Suites and couldn't pay for the extra nights. The hotel comped him for two more nights and fired one maid.