Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long Road Out of Eden

Out on the Border DiscoStrangler's Avatar

Default Long Road Out of Eden

I've been considering getting this to add to my vinyl collection. Outside of the documentary, I've only heard a couple of songs off of it. It seems like there are a lot of slower songs on it.

I'm curious to hear from some of you hardcore Eagles fans how it holds up compared to other albums.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Long Road Out of Eden

Try doing a search of threads containing "Eden" and it will give you a good idea.
    For example, this thread has first reactions from people back in 2007.

I can't really compare it with the older albums because I'm so different to when I first heard those. I like it but I don't know every note without thinking and it doesn't bring back memories of being a teenager. Sometimes that's refreshing.

Out on the Border DiscoStrangler's Avatar

Thanks!

Border Troubadour

It's certainly different to the other Eagles albums, probably more soft rock than anything else. There are some superb standouts on the album, the title track for me is a masterpiece and the likes of How Long, Somebody or Waiting in the Weeds are well worth your time.

However, I do have reservations. The awful (and I mean utterly dreadful) percussion on the likes of Hole in the World and Last Good Time in Town drags what would be otherwise good songs down a few notches, and this is probably the album during which Don's cynicism and nihilism in his lyrics gets so dominant in places that it actually starts to ruin songs (Frail Grasp... and Business As Usual for example). Also, if you're a mad Joe Walsh fan, then his input is somewhat limited throughout, two bang average leads and a blistering solo in LROOE is practically a comprehensive list of every notable contribution he makes to the album.

Absolutely without question I would check it out (YMMV and all that), but I wouldn't go into it expecting it to be on a par with the late 70s output.

I think most Eagles fans would enjoy it, and you can get it for a real bargain nowadays. It's worth it.

There are TONS of threads on it here, that's for sure. We were in a frenzy when it came out - new Eagles material after so many years!

I'm so glad they did it, even if it wasn't to everyone's taste. I'm so glad their last studio effort together wasn't in 1979.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I would definitely get it to complete your collection.

Personally, I love several of the songs on it; Waiting in the Weeds, Long Road Out of Eden, How Long, Center of the Universe and Somebody are my favorites, but also enjoy several others.

I remember being one of those in 'a frenzy' when it FINALLY came out! I do wish we knew more about who did what on it, but guess that's never gonna happen!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoStrangler View Post
    I've been considering getting this to add to my vinyl collection. Outside of the documentary, I've only heard a couple of songs off of it. It seems like there are a lot of slower songs on it.

I'm curious to hear from some of you hardcore Eagles fans how it holds up compared to other albums.
    If you are a completist then by all means you should get it. As said above, they run pretty cheap these days and it is output from the latter-day band.

As for myself, I checked out the cd from the library a couple of times to give it a few listens. I found much of it tedious and fairly soulless. I'm not a fan of Henley's crusty soapbox either. The few songs I really did like I bought off iTunes.

Does it hold up to their other studio albums? IMO, no.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoStrangler View Post

I'd say that it's difficult to compare this to any of the other Eagles albums as it was made under entirely different circumstances. It's very apparent that many of these songs were not recorded as a band project, but became part of the fabric of the album as it was created. A substantial portion of the material sounds like it could be solo work with the Eagles trademark harmonies added to give the appearance that this is a total band collaboration.

I think overall the material is excellent, but there are some weaknesses. The vocals are great as you would expect as is the recording quality. However, to my ears, this was somewhat overproduced. I would've preferred less polish and a little more rawness. And, most of all, even though there are some songs that rock, I could've stood for a lot more of that.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by scottside View Post
    It's very apparent that many of these songs were not recorded as a band project, but became part of the fabric of the album as it was created. A substantial portion of the material sounds like it could be solo work with the Eagles trademark harmonies added to give the appearance that this is a total band collaboration.
    Indeed, I am convinced some songs do not feature Don H. or Joe at all (aside from some vocal harmonies). Given Glenn's credit for bass too, I do wonder if TBS was present throughout too.

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    Indeed, I am convinced some songs do not feature Don H. or Joe at all (aside from some vocal harmonies). Given Glenn's credit for bass too, I do wonder if TBS was present throughout too.
    That's an interesting perspective. I was thinking similarly except that I also think that Glenn probably wasn't playing on some of the others songs. It's conceivable that "Waiting In The Weeds" was crafted without him playing anything at all. Joe could've likewise not been playing anything on that track either.

I agree with an earlier point you made....Joe was way under utilized everywhere. His guitar should've been all over that album.