Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Don Felder Auto tune

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Don Felder Auto tune

Quote Originally Posted by roogalator View Post
    Saw him in Plymouth, NH last night and my heart sank a little when he completely missed the first lines of Already Gone with the vocals still blaring out. Still, it was a really fun night and it seemed like everyone had a blast.
    I'm not sure if I'd mind Don lip syncing if it was something people knew and accepted. It's comments like "he sounds great. Glenn Frey sucks" that bother me. People make him out to be better as a singer than he actually is and throw those anti-Frey comments in their praises.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by roogalator View Post
    Saw him in Plymouth, NH last night and my heart sank a little when he completely missed the first lines of Already Gone with the vocals still blaring out. Still, it was a really fun night and it seemed like everyone had a blast.
    Wow, just wow! Can't believe he would make a mistake like that!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Not at all surprised, I have to say. Still doesn't make it not disappointing, seeing as how I idolized the guy (and I still do for his guitar work). Thanks for sharing that, roogalator!

So he's definitely using tracks and very likely never singing live and just lip syncs. Add the fact that the tracks are heavily auto-tuned. Who exactly is he trying to kid? Have some pride left. Get. A. Singer! (or 2)
    Couple all of this with what we were talking about with his scrolling on an iPhone while "singing" (so he can "mouth" the right words, rather), and you have an extremely unprofessional show with an artist who needs to hang it up or get someone else to actually SING. I think one of the reasons he was causing turbulence in the Eagles was not only his pay but rather the fact he wanted to be the frontman. He was never happy playing second fiddle to Glenn or Don. So by god when he gets his own band with his own name, he will be calling ALL of the shots, singing ALL of the songs, and stealing the spotlight 100%! I think knowing all of that, one could say that maybe Glenn wasn't the one with ego trouble. Maybe afterall Don was the passive-aggressive narcissist who wanted to hog the spotlight and make all of the money. It's kind of sad.

Felder has never been a good singer, Henley and Frey told him that much in the 70s and they said it in HOTE. Visions is atrocious from a vocal standpoint (add to that that the song is mostly forgettable), no wonder why DH didn't want him singing VOL! He's a great guitarst and writer of guitar parts. That is it, nothing more nothing less. He is not capable of singing or IMO writing good lyrics. Just read some of the lyrics on Road To Forever and American Rock N' Roll. He's no Henley when it comes to lyrics and he's no Frey when it comes to arrangement! Heavy Metal is by far the only tune of his I actually like and listen to.

If he wants to go out and perform material sung by two of the greatest vocalists of all time, then you need to have someone who can actually pull it off and do it justice! Especially when he's performing songs that had nothing to do with him like the first two Eagles records. I can maybe understand TIE, but PEF and Tequila Sunrise? Really?! That's not even in your wheelhouse Don. C'mon. If he wants to go out and live in fantasy-land and pretend that he is Glenn Frey onstage, by all means. That doesn't make it any less pathetic/sad. Be happy with being an elite guitarist who was in a great band and who started "Hotel California".
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I'm not sure if I'd mind Don lip syncing if it was something people knew and accepted. It's comments like "he sounds great. Glenn Frey sucks" that bother me. People make him out to be better as a singer than he actually is and throw those anti-Frey comments in their praises.
    People are bitter and don't want to accept the reality of what Glenn and Don have said from the beginning. They also don't want to accept the fact that Don was the problem, not Glenn. Don was the one with the overreaching ego and his need for more and more control in the Eagles camp. I know this because I was like them once, but then I did some digging and found that I was very wrong. I had blinders on. Don Felder was a malcontent. If David Geffen can say that about Don Henley (which I still agree with), I think Felder was even more insufferable, worse than Henley. I think Glenn was actually quite humble, compared to DF.

They have to get their digs in still. Kind of like Felder, they haven't moved on. The man is now dead and no longer in the band. They STILL feel the need to cast stones at him. Birds of a feather do flock together. It should be no surprise that his hardcore anti-GF fans are just like him. He attracts what he puts out there. That's old news. But at some point, considering that it is literally over and done with, get over it already!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

One thing I don't get is that if Don lip syncs, why does he play HC in a lower key these days? Perhaps he sings live sometimes. That iPhone scrolling performance of The Long Run sounded live to me.

Stuck on the Border

Here he sings some wrong lyrics instead of "You should be home, but you're not", so he was definitely singing live. The lip syncing might be an age thing. Eagles melodies are not sung in a very low register.

https://youtu.be/bJnH-eJmMRo

Out on the Border

Pretty good singing too ! I suppose he feels he can't do that anymore for whatever reason. Again I thought he looked "stressed" the other day, not very confident in his abilities. Maybe there were too many "mistakes" over the years and he doesn't want to have to worry about it.

As a side not I prefer his current bassist and guitar player, especially bass player, that one looked, hum..."heavy" !

Out on the Border

Severe sync issues with Don's vocal track and the rest of the band are apparent here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INWHa2y8qaw

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by thebagels View Post
    Severe sync issues with Don's vocal track and the rest of the band are apparent here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INWHa2y8qaw
    Is that a track or is he just singing sort of rubato - kind of answering the background vocals? Seems it's even in a differenr tempo. He catches up right before the chorus starts and I don't know how a track could do that - unless he started singing live at that point because he had no choice.

It's a shame, really. It'd be so much better and frankly a lot more dignified to admit defeat on the singing, get a singer, and then no one would be able to say anything about it.

I really feel bad for those going to his show unless they are just guitar lovers who don't care about the songs being done well vocally, which in that case I could see you still liking the show. I liked it from that perspective, but the vocals wore on me with every passing minute!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger