Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Don Felder Auto tune

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Don Felder Auto tune

And then there's the video on YouTube where the vocal in the final verse of Take It Easy starts a bit early, so he has to sing the rest of the song live - and sounds fine to me.

On the other hand, Austin just posted a Long Run clip in another thread where the vocal sounds live to me. One note very much out of tunein the first verse. He's reading the lyrics, but that doesn't mean he's singing live - he still would have to "mime" the correct words if he was lip syncing.

Whenever I say that Don is lip syncing, it's not a fact, just an opinion. Maybe he's singing live AND there's a track as well. That would explain the "'cause" we hear that he doesn't sing.

Out on the Border

Sure, we're all scratching our heads

What TIE video is it ?

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I definitely don't think he's using AutoTune at all...that's just his normal voice.

I quite like his singing, I think he's far better than some give credit for. Is he Don Henley or Glenn Frey, no, but not many are, lol. I think he does justice to the tunes. I would love to see him in concert. I wish he'd tour more actually.

I was and still am a huge Felder fan, though I've grown to appreciate or at least understand Frey's opinion on the subject too. I still think it was a mistake firing him, though in recent years he's kind of proven that he can be difficult to deal with and I lost some respect for him after some of the things he did or said after Glenn passed. That's when my mindset changed some, though I still love Felder, I think he's one of the very best guitarists and underrated, even moreso than Joe, but he isn't as perfect as I once thought and I feel that maybe he wasn't so innocent, though I don't think Glenn was an angel either. I'm over it now. That said, I'll still defend him where it feels right. And this, for me, feels right.
    Boy does JD Souther's quote of "Time passes, things change' ring true right now as I'm reading this. My opinion here hasn't aged well, even to my own viewpoint.

Since this comment I've actually gone to see Don front row opening for Styx and REO Speedwagon and yes he was clearly using Auto-Tune (so much easier to hear it blasting through a PA!) and no, I do not like his singing any longer. And now that I've heard it live, it's easier to pick up on it when watching clips. Some are more obvious than others. He would be well served by getting a singer or two, which I have mentioned both in my concert review and in other threads since this comment was posted. Don is definitely Auto-Tuning at least half if not more of the songs he sings. More so the DH ones, at the concert I saw.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by webvan View Post
    Sure, we're all scratching our heads

What TIE video is it ?
    12:36. A very smooth transition from a track that is now in a wrong place in the bar to live singing. But I guess they had prepared for such things. Anyway, I still can't say for a fact that that's happened there, but it sure sounds like it. https://youtu.be/HegtSeolbcM

Don was just here in MS two weeks ago. I wanted to go, but I also heard the reviews from ya'll. So it wasn't worth the 3 hour drive to Biloxi. Plus I didn't have money to go by a ticket. That was also basically the problem. If I really wanted to see him, I could had saved.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Out on the Border

Yeah something's up there ! So either he "catches up" or they switch to live singing ? There's a volume difference around 12:48, maybe when the backing vocals kick in. It must be a big PITA to get these things in sync, and what's on the "tape" ? Just the vocals or some background, acoustic guitars maybe ? Seems to be more trouble than it's worth !

Stuck on the Border

And here, at 1:03 mark, we hear the word "'cause" although he doesn't sing it. https://youtu.be/QjUj8qF47xA

Stuck on the Border

My personal opinion is that Don has been lip syncing for a few years now, but he doesn't need it. IMHO he could still sing well enough to be a "guitarist that also sings".

Out on the Border

Well I did find him a bit "nervous" the other day in spite of all the smiles. It's possible (even likely) that he's not a natural entertainer and he's just stressed out when being the main center of attention so having a recorded voice (his fortunately !) is one less thing to worry about...The way he went out of his way to introduce his musicians as playing with X, Y and Z and thanking his new record company BMG goes in the same "direction" I'd say. Not your average ruthless rock star

Out on the Border

Saw him in Plymouth, NH last night and my heart sank a little when he completely missed the first lines of Already Gone with the vocals still blaring out. Still, it was a really fun night and it seemed like everyone had a blast.