Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Hotel California 40th Anniversary New CD reissue

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Hotel California 40th Anniversary New CD reissue

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Just MHO but it is crazy to sell the package for $100 that contains duplicate discs - even if one is high def. The HC Program and other things do not make it worth $100. If they really wanted to make it worth the money for the three discs, they could have included the FULL Capital Center Concert or a disc with other concert footage from that period.
    The second disc is really just a repeat of songs included on the Eagles Live album, which most people here probably already have. I am kind of disappointed with this as Don made such a big deal about it. To me it kind of sounds like it was thrown together in a hurry to get it out for Christmas.
    To be fair, the following songs are not on Eagles Live:

4. JAMES DEAN 3:50
    5. GOOD DAY IN HELL 5:29
    6. WITCHY WOMAN 4:20
    7. FUNK 49 4:04
    8. ONE OF THESE NIGHTS 3:52

However these songs are not sufficient inducement for someone like me to buy this.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post

However these songs are not sufficient inducement for someone like me to buy this.
    I'll end up buying at least the two cd 20 dollar version of the rerelease. I think that the full package isn't a horrible deal. I really hope this version of HC is better than the eagles live one, that version is just bad in my opinion, don's vocals aren't that loud and I just find it lacking. Already gone was Another song that wasn't on the Eagles live album. But having Randy's vocals on these songs will be good in my opinion. I never understand the song choice on eagles live. "All night long" and "Saturday night" did not belong

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    I'll end up buying at least the two cd 20 dollar version of the rerelease. I think that the full package isn't a horrible deal. I really hope this version of HC is better than the eagles live one, that version is just bad in my opinion, don's vocals aren't that loud and I just find it lacking. Already gone was Another song that wasn't on the Eagles live album. But having Randy's vocals on these songs will be good in my opinion. I never understand the song choice on eagles live. "All night long" and "Saturday night" did not belong
    Sorry, when I pasted I didn't include AG. It certainly isn't on Eagles Live either.

Stuck on the Border

Well, sorry about that. Still has quite a few songs from the live album. I have not listened to it in a very long time. Still not worth the $100 to me. Like I said, I wish the third disc had been the full Capital Center Concert or other concert footage from that time period.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Well, sorry about that. Still has quite a few songs from the live album. I have not listened to it in a very long time. Still not worth the $100 to me. Like I said, I wish the third disc had been the full Capital Center Concert or other concert footage from that time period.
    I wish the third disc was better. Definitely the biggest let down. But the two disc for 20 dollars is a good deal in my mind

Stuck on the Border

YEF - Yes, I agree - the two disc is a good deal and I will probably buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post

So 6 out of 10 songs are not on Eagles Live, if “Already Gone” is added to your list. I would also point out that most of the tracks from Live are not by the HC line-up. I realize that doesn’t matter to some fans, but given that this is commemorating the Hotel California album, having all the tracks by that specific line-up makes it special and appropriate. Plus the item description says these live tracks have never been released. So even NKIT and TITTL should be “new.” I also wonder if these tracks are more raw than the famously studio-dubbed ones on Live.

I also agree with YoungEaglesFan that having Randy, who is the original bassist/backing vocalist on all these tracks save one, is a positive. And speaking of Randy, I do wish that “Walk Away” instead of “Funk 49” was included b/c I love the vocal flourishes he adds at the end of WA.

So for me, it’s a no-brainer. I do want this. I just think the $99 price tag is over the top, esp. with no video or other bonus material.

**edit: I’m responding to the statement that CD 2 is just a repeat of the Live album; I’m using your post, FP, as a starting point for why I don’t agree with that statement**
    Last edited by Delilah; 10-12-2017 at 09:29 AM.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

It’s disappointing that there are no previously unreleased bonus tracks or video.
    The Fleetwood Mac expanded reissues all have a lot of bonus material such as Demos and outtakes but I believe this just may not exist for Eagles material.
    The 5.1 mix is really amazing as I have the original release of this. The surround sound on a good system is amazing. Looking forward to the extras such as the book.

On a different note, has anyone bought this presumably unauthorised DVD and if so what is it like?

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/eagles-.../6000190378569
    Last edited by Philh; 10-12-2017 at 03:54 AM.

Banned

Judging by the song lengths on the live CD, the tracks will be pretty basic with little introduction. Witchy Woman had a lengthy instrumental introduction in 1977, similar to Heartache Tonight's after the resumption, so I guess that has actually been edited down to 4:20

Stuck on the Border

Austin - We know how much you love this album and it being responsible for turning you into an Eagles fan. You should not feel guilty abut buying this. The second cd has HC songs being performed appx. six weeks before the album came out in Dec. 76. Also, this is with what many consider their "classic" lineup. Austin, if you want it, get it to add to your collection. You deserve it !
    It looks like there are some extended jams such as HT, WW and AG. They also performed a shorter version of NKIT(was there a AM radio version of this song ?). The first two cds are great and are something all Randy fans here should love. It is just a heartbreaking shame this 40th annv. tour could never come about.

Funk - back in those days the Eagles were famous for never saying much on stage during a concert. Thus the "loitering" remark made about them.