Thread: Don Felder Vocal range

Default Don Felder Vocal range

I’ve been looking around for an answer to this and I haven’t gotten one I’m satisfied with. On a thread on here talking about all the guys vocal ranges someone said they were all tenors but didn’t specially say Felder. I have a hard time believing Felder was a tenor. He always sang the low notes on harmonies and he sings really low on SBR. Visions is also on the Lower side. He does do some of the high notes on OOTN and WW solo though. It could be auto tune however. Does anyone know?

Default Re: Don Felder Vocal range

Well, YEF, here's the thing. Auto-Tune wasn't around in the 70s. What you hear is pretty much what you get. Now, the Eagles were big fans of overdubbing, and tinkering with the feel of the music, but they were recording to tape, and there just weren't a whole lot of ways to manipulate a singer's voice to be a lot higher or lower than it was naturally, short of speeding up the tape or slowing it down (think "Fame" by David Bowie), that I know of. Any recording/sound geeks, please feel free to correct me on that one.

I looked up the sheet music to "Visions" and its in "A". My musician hubby says that's kind of mid-range key for a man. It's a popular key for guitarists to use, so that makes sense.

You also don't necessarily classify a voice by range all the time. "Heft" plays a role, too. Some tenors have very good low ranges, but because of the timbre of their voices, they're still tenors. Glenn, Tim and Randy, for instance, would never be called anything but tenors. You hear that lighter feel in their voices. Glenn had a good low range, but you'd never call him anything but a tenor. Most lead singers are, in fact, tenors. Baritones are a little more unusual. Eddie Vedder is a baritone, for instance. And you could make a strong case for Jim Morrison having a rock baritone.

I'd put Don F's voice kind of in the same category as Dave Grohl. He's not a true baritone, and his speaking voice is definitely tenor, but he has enough "bottom" in his voice that he sings the low ranges very well, as in SBR. He sort of skirts that line. I'd say his strongest range is a lower one. But that in no way means he's limited. It means that's where his voice works best.

But that's my two cents. Take it for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    I’ve been looking around for an answer to this and I haven’t gotten one I’m satisfied with. On a thread on here talking about all the guys vocal ranges someone said they were all tenors but didn’t specially say Felder. I have a hard time believing Felder was a tenor. He always sang the low notes on harmonies and he sings really low on SBR. Visions is also on the Lower side. He does do some of the high notes on OOTN and WW solo though. It could be auto tune however. Does anyone know?
    Maybe you can provide a link to the quote where someone said Felder was a tenor. Context may help provide your answer.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Maybe you can provide a link to the quote where someone said Felder was a tenor. Context may help provide your answer.
    I looked up eagles vocal ranges and I found a thread in here.

Stuck on the Border

I'm no musical expert but I would call Don F. a baritone. His voice sounds very deep to me, especially in SBR. You can go to you tube and find a version of SBR where their voices are isolated to hear each one vocally - it's pretty cool.
    Last edited by New Kid In Town; 10-18-2017 at 08:09 PM.