Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moments you enjoy in songs you don't

Border Troubadour

Default Moments you enjoy in songs you don't

As with most threads I start on here, apologies for the awful title.

Basically, I was listening to The Girl from Yesterday before, and thought that whilst I don't really care for the rest of the song, I love the Glenn-Don H. harmony on 'She doesn't know what's right...'; similarly, the carousel line and subsequent solo on YNCLAL also saves that song from my indifference. I was just wondering if anyone else had similar moments for other Eagles songs?

Cheers

Default Re: Moments you enjoy in songs you don't

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    As with most threads I start on here, apologies for the awful title.

Basically, I was listening to The Girl from Yesterday before, and thought that whilst I don't really care for the rest of the song, I love the Glenn-Don H. harmony on 'She doesn't know what's right...'; similarly, the carousel line and subsequent solo on YNCLAL also saves that song from my indifference. I was just wondering if anyone else had similar moments for other Eagles songs?

Cheers
    Hmm this is tough. They are few songs I don’t like but I like the high harmony part in the end of Too many hands, I find the last resort ok but the ending is also good with the harmonies in the end. I also like when Glenn yells “Gator” on greeks

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

I like the parts in parentheses, especially live:

Desperado (it there gonna be anything left, is there gonna be anything?)
    You sealed your fate up a long time ago
    (Ain't it hard when you're all alone in the center ring?)
    Now there's no time left to borrow
    (Is there gonna be anything left?)
    Only stardust ...(maybe tomorrow)

Stuck on the Border

The only part of Visions I like is Glenn's backing vocals 'don't you ever think about the other side' etc.

I like the piano intro of YNCLAL.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    The only part of Visions I like is Glenn's backing vocals 'don't you ever think about the other side' etc.

I like the piano intro of YNCLAL.
    I might be the biggest fan of visions on here. I love everything except the weird outro

Border Troubadour

Thanks for the contributions so far all, nice to see an array of answers!

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    I might be the biggest fan of visions on here. I love everything except the weird outro
    I will challenge you for that title, it sometimes strays inside my top ten Eagles songs!

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    Thanks for the contributions so far all, nice to see an array of answers!

I will challenge you for that title, it sometimes strays inside my top ten Eagles songs!
    Well I’m just glad that I found someone who loves it too. It rocks and I like the lyrics. The Glenn and don lines are cool too. I think it’s soemthing that is different than the normal eagles sound

There's lots of these. Even in my least favorite Eagles songs, there are moments I enjoy.

I'll take the one I loathe: "Disco Strangler." There's one line in it: "Rome is burning, but that's alright." The way it's sung, I don't know... it's hard to describe. It's got this jazzy, sassy vibe, the Nero reference is nice, and in that whole, wretched song.. I enjoy that line.

"You Never Cry Like a Lover" has a very elegant, beautifully sung metaphor about a carousel that I love. I also love the poignant "I was hoping you were the one." I really dislike the rest of the song, although "Try a little harder" has an energy that most of the song painfully lacks.

"King of Hollywood" doesn't do it for me and I really don't like the weird falsetto/regular vocal "duet" but the guitar solos at the end are VERY hot. Love them.

"The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks" is insipid, but the second verse is kinda fun once you get past the verse about puke and before you get to the lame crap about doing the Gator. Sometimes I do catch my toe tapping involuntarily.

I like the chorus to "Frail Grasp on the Big Picture" even though I disdain the song in general, and there's this one little bit where Don does a little something with his voice that sounds like "hold on hold on" that I think sounds so freaking cool - I love it. "Frail grasp on the big picture.. hold on hold on..." It's not even words really, just a little scat, but it's great.

I'm another person who only likes the part of "Visions" where there's a back-and-forth vocally.

The truth is that the Eagles have never released anything that's completely worthless, at least not in my opinion.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I find YNCLAL to be a weird song. As a whole I don’t like it but I like the parts soda said like the carousel, the try a little hard. I also love the “well somebody let the music on”. I hate the solo but I also like the “I was hoping you were the one”. It’s a interesting mix of parts I love but ones I don’t like at all

Stuck on the Border

YNCLAL. I like the lead guitar on top of the intro/chorus and I like the bridge.

James Dean. I like the intro.

The Girl From Yesterday. I like the bridge.