Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
All that said, I adore The Last Resort more than any other Eagles song, and I think the difference I feel between that and latter-day angry Henley is that TLR was written with a naive but oh-so-correct youthful cynicism, the sort of passion every 20-something who falls into a phase or trend feels. The fact that people on the internet are still outraged four decades later that he may or may not have blamed religion for part of it shows just how cleverly composed it was.
I very much agree with TLR's analysis of The Last Resort. Although, I think it could be a bit shorter, I love the song. I don't have to agree with every line in a song to love it - overall I think the tone and the message are spot on and very forward-thinking for its time.

I also agree with the comparison of songs from Long Road Out of Eden. I do think the vocal tone of the LROOE songs mentioned is somewhat harsher and preachy than The Last Resort, and they come across as maybe trying a little too hard to get their messages across. I still like them a lot though, but not as much as The Last Resort. I love Waiting In the Weeds and definitely don't consider it to be harsh or preachy, but I can see where some may think the metaphors are a bit overdone.