Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Unpopular Eagles opinions

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Unpopular Eagles opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Pippinwhite View Post
    I like "I Wish You Peace." It's a nice song, and is a sweet note to mark Bernie's exit from the band.

"The Last Resort" has a fine message, but is way too long, IMHO. It's overwritten and should have been tightened up -- a lot. It's self-indulgence carried a little too far. Brevity, they say, is the essence of wit. HC succeeds because it tells that creepy little story that keeps you interested. LR puts me to sleep after a while. Four minutes should have been the cutoff. That would have forced Don to "write tight". I suspect it would have been a better, more effective song.

Again, all very much My Humble OPINION!
    I can post in this thread if I stick to music.

The major problem with the entire HC album is Henley's domination of it.

Here is my other famous unpopular opinion, which is that I love I Love To Watch A Woman Dance.

Not unpopular to me. I looove that song! Swoon!

Border Troubadour

I have no problem with either of I Wish You Peace or I Love to Watch a Woman Dance, my main reservation with both (and this also applies to Learn to Be Still too) is that they just don't sound like Eagles songs.

I'm not a big fan of the song Hotel California. I know it's their most recognizable song but it just does nothing for me. I can easily skip it when it plays.

I adore "I Love to Watch a Woman Dance" and I never understood the pounding it took from some.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I take back my wish that this thread be about more than music. People getting into trouble because of how they feel about something is not something I'd like to see.

Out on the Border

I'm not a fan of James Dean.
    As much as I love Glenn and his voice, this early attempt to rock it out, for me is a flop. His HT 3 yrs later is better. Just IMO.

@Magnolia -- HC isn't my favorite track, either. I like it, but like you, I can skip it.

I know "Get You in the Mood" strikes some as being really sexist, and it kind of is, but I figure it was written by a seriously hormonal 22-year-old. LOLOL. There's an honesty about it that makes me chuckle. And as I said in another thread, the thought of a early 20s Sugar singing it, all sexy-like... well, hey.

Stuck on the Border

It's funny how these unpopular opinions bring out a lot of "me too"s.

I don't like Hotel California - I never did and I still don't. It's one of the two Eagles songs I skip (the other being The Disco Strangler).

I like "Get You in the Mood". I don't see it as sexist. It's just a young guy yearning for physical contact with a young woman and promising to make her feel good.

My unpopular opinion is that there's nothing special about the pairing of Joe Walsh and Don Felder. My expectations for a guitar duo were set by Andy Powell/Ted Turner (Wishbone Ash) and Walsh/Felder lacked that magic. According to Martin Turner (WA bass player), Bill Szymzyck's dream was a combination of Wishbone Ash guitars and Eagles vocals and that's what he was trying to achieve on Hotel California.

"Journey of the Sorcerer"
    I know this Eagles song isn't very popular among the fans of the band, but I love it. It's a very good approach to progressive rock: Bernie Leadon made an awesome work here, his banjo is incredible and you can almost hear the sounds of the desert. He was a gifted musician, it's a shame he wouldn't make more things like this in his solo career.
    I think the live version is more powerful than the recorded one. Enjoy it!

https://youtu.be/2ufdz0BbEjc