Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Unpopular Eagles opinions

Default Re: Unpopular Eagles opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    My unpopular opinion is I don’t think it’s so great that the band tries to sound just like the record at their live shows. Some spontaneity and ad-libbing serve live performances well, especially at rock concerts. I think the band would get a lot less grief from critics if they hadn’t tried to replicate note for note what they did in the studio.
    I'm on board with this one. Differences in live versions make them more fun and interesting.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    A song I find highly overrated, though, is "Life's Been Good." Just a joke song, really, with a catchy riff.
    Noooooo! Say it isn't so Soda!

One of my favorites. I love the lyrics and they really have Joe's personality and antics all through them. It's a fun song. I will agree about the riff though. I always loved hearing the Eagles do it. The one on the Eagles Live version is the one I listen to. The one on BSF is fine, but I really love hearing the whole band do it. I admit to not looking for deep meaning or serious content in songs though. Probably why I like pop music and mostly hits rather than deep tracks.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

I personally like the fact the Eagles always did it like the record.

One of my biggest pet peeves is seeing a concert and they change a part in a song I love. For me, the studio recordings will always beat any live recording that has been changed up. The studio recordings are precious to me and once they were recorded, is how they should be done from then on out. I don't care too much for improvisation. I hated when the Eagles did Hotel California like they did on HFO. Some things (well, most if not all things) shouldn't be messed with. I realize this is probably more of an unpopular opinion in the minds of concertgoers. But I like it note for note, breath for breath accurate. I like it exact.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I personally like the fact the Eagles always did it like the record.

One of my biggest pet peeves is seeing a concert and they change a part in a song I love. For me, the studio recordings will always beat any live recording that has been changed up. The studio recordings are precious to me and once they were recorded, is how they should be done from then on out. I don't care too much for improvisation. I hated when the Eagles did Hotel California like they did on HFO. Some things (well, most if not all things) shouldn't be messed with. I realize this is probably more of an unpopular opinion in the minds of concertgoers. But I like it note for note, breath for breath accurate. I like it exact.
    Well, there is such a thing as changing it TOO much....

Well, there is such a thing as changing it TOO much....

LOL yes. Along with the version of HC he did with the monkey noises. That permanently scarred me. lol
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    LOL yes. Along with the version of HC he did with the monkey noises. That permanently scarred me. lol
    I think Don has successfully had that purged from the internet. I personally have tried to bleach it from my brain, lol.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Okay - I'm with Austin here regarding Life's Been Good ... I don't think of it as just a joke song with a catchy riff. The song uses humor very cleverly to make social commentary, which is put to incredible music that gets permanently etched in your brain. It has become one of the great classic rock songs that almost everyone recognizes from the first opening notes. And I also agree with Austin that the Eagles version elevates what was already a great song to a whole 'nother level.

And as far as the band's live performances, I get that there are some who prefer more spontaneity. But, I'll repeat what I've said many times before ... I can't argue with success. They are one of the top selling recording and live bands of all time, so they must have done something right. Their formula worked for them and certainly proved to have mass appeal so I can't blame them for sticking with it.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Out on the Border

Post Re: Unpopular Eagles opinions

Some of these may be very unpopular and some people may like but here's my best and worst song on every album picks

Eagles - Witchy Woman
    Desperado - Hard to pick but probably Doolin-Dalton. Outlaw Man close behind
    On The Border - Ol'55
    One Of These Nights - After The Thrill Is Gone
    Hotel California - New Kid In Town
    The Long Run - Teenage Jail (Sorry but I love it)
    Eagles Live - New Kid In Town
    HFO - The Last Resort (Hate they stopped it and In The City for the 94-96 tours)
    Millennium Live CD - Ol'55 and Those Shoes
    Melbourne DVD - Hole In The World
    Long Road Out Of Eden - Waiting In The Weeds
    Eagles VERY INCOMPLETE DC 1977 DVD - New Kid In Town
    HC 40th Anniversary Live CD - Funk #49, Eagles song would be New Kid In Town

I think Don has successfully had that purged from the internet. I personally have tried to bleach it from my brain, lol.
    Me too, to no success! lol
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Okay - I'm with Austin here regarding Life's Been Good ... I don't think of it as just a joke song with a catchy riff. The song uses humor very cleverly to make social commentary, which is put to incredible music that gets permanently etched in your brain. It has become one of the great classic rock songs that almost everyone recognizes from the first opening notes. And I also agree with Austin that the Eagles version elevates what was already a great song to a whole 'nother level.

And as far as the band's live performances, I get that there are some who prefer more spontaneity. But, I'll repeat what I've said many times before ... I can't argue with success. They are one of the top selling recording and live bands of all time, so they must have done something right. Their formula worked for them and certainly proved to have mass appeal so I can't blame them for sticking with it.
    Agreed! You shouldn't mess with perfection.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger