Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eagles members vocal quality over time

No longer in Southern California.We're now in Northen New York, the St. Lawrence Valley. :)

Default Re: Eagles members vocal quality over time

Quote Originally Posted by OntheBorder74 View Post
    Im not sure if Don has false teeth maybe some work done but to me he sounds the most like he did in the early days. He has held onto that strained vocal sound since the Eagles began. I agree Glenn was at a peak during the 80s when his voice was so smooth on the soul numbers, but the power of his voice in the early years of the Eagles, when he dominated and belted out songs like Outlaw Man and Out of Control, noticeably diminished. I never felt his voice had the 'fullness' or 'body' it originally had and was much thinner. Just an opinion based on what I hear granted there are exceptions to that.

Timothy in in my ears is only now just losing that range but to have had it for so many decades I think is commendable after all as you grow older everything is going to decline including your throat and your vocal quality/range.

They kept a great standard for many years
    The style of music changed as the years went by, too. But to me the voices stayed the same. I think I like the younger/earlier voices.
    Glenn sounds so much better with his true voice, which is, to me, that nasally Midwest, Detroit accent. My late ex-husband, who was from Iowa, had the same accent, was a musician and sounded just like Glenn. Especially on 'Take it Easy".
    Later, they were all getting that old-person warble in their voices. Don Henley has it the least..

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

I definitely hear the false teeth thing with Don H. At the concert I saw in July 2015, it was very obvious at the start of the show but seemed to get better as the evening went on. I don’t mean this in a nasty or critical way. Goodness knows, all kinds of egregious crap happens to humans as we age. Good for Henley for soldiering on despite his back pain and whatever else he may have going on.

Quote Originally Posted by MarthaJo56 View Post
    Did Glenn quit smoking at any time?
    I believe that I read on here that he quit in the mid-'70s, but resumed in the '80s when he began acting and directors wanted him to smoke for the roles he played. Later on, as I read elsewhere, he was an occasional smoker.
    Anyone feel free to correct me!
    Smoking or not, many singers lose their voice by their '50's----I think they all held up well!
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I loved Glenn's and Don's young voices. Glenn's was soft, smooth and sweet and Don's was smoky, rough, and sexy.

I think over time both of their voices changed a lot. They still sounded good, but not as good, to me.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Border Desperado

I really like Glenn's voice on the Long Run era (Not the Long run songs, but stuff recorded around that time, like Eagles Live, and other bootleg stuff). The "Eagles Live" version of Take It Easy is so much better than the album cut. Glenn's voice is not as soft. Has a bit of an edge to it. I love it.

It almost sounds as if Don has a lisp sometimes. That might be the false teeth thing that's been mentioned.