Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Radio Sirius Channel 30 November 17, 2017

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Eagles Radio Sirius Channel 30 November 17, 2017

I usually listen when I'm in my car. I've heard Glenn's Don't Give Up and The One You Love. Joe's The Radio Song and Randy's Hearts on Fire. I loved JD Souther and Linda Ronstadt's Silver Blue. Besides more I've forgotten now!

I also heard a clip of Glenn talking about writing Heartache Tonight with Bob Seger. He said he came in singing "Somebody's gonna hurt someone" and Bob chimed in with "There's gonna be a heartache tonight". He said that song was so easy to write. Loved hearing his voice!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I love hearing Glenn too. I'm glad they are finally playing his non hits or songs that are from his solo albums. I even heard one from After Hours.

I've been wondering since Sirius started this how old those clips of him talking about the song are. They sound like the older Glenn.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    I still haven't heard any songs from Timothy's new album yet.
    Woah. That would seem to be a major oversight or possibly a slight. Timothy, call your agent, man!

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I also heard a clip of Glenn talking about writing Heartache Tonight with Bob Seger. He said he came in singing "Somebody's gonna hurt someone" and Bob chimed in with "There's gonna be a heartache tonight". He said that song was so easy to write.
    But it took five people to write it! Sorry, I was an avid reader of Creem magazine back in the day. It was like a blue-collar version of Rolling Stone. They were great mockers of the rich and famous. I remember them marvelling that it took five people to write "Heartache Tonight." Hey, why not?

Bob Seger's "Against the Wind" album cover was a target of much sarcasm as well.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Woah. That would seem to be a major oversight or possibly a slight. Timothy, call your agent, man!
    They were barely playing Don and Joe's current album either and I heard one song from After Hours this past weekend. They just started playing more from their current album last week. I only heard one song from Analog Man and I think 4 songs from Cass County. They are finally playing more of Glenn songs that weren't the usual You Belong To The City, The Heat Is On, Smuggler's Blues and The One You Love (which they were playing a lot too).

Like Timothy said in a Sirius interview I think either a week or two ago that Joe had a hand in the programming which explain the heavily played songs by Joe. They were finally playing more of the guys non single songs.

Timothy will probably play his current album soon. He and Jack's DJ should be coming up soon. I have noticed they are playing less and less of Joe's solo songs, but still playing In The City a lot.

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Out on the Border

Heard two Elvis Presley songs as "influences": That's All Right and Suspicious Minds

I know this is slightly off-topic, but I know Don liked him and Elvis was one of Glenn's nicknames, but are there any other stories of Elvis' influence on either the band or its members separately?
    Last edited by Out of Control; 12-10-2017 at 10:29 PM.

Out of Control, Randy has said in interviews that watching Elvis perform on TV inspired him to start playing the guitar. He later switched to bass and co-founded a band, The Dynamics, when he was only 15. This band became the most in-demand group of the region, often playing to sell-out crowds at ballrooms, clubs, dances, etc. From there, Randy continued to pursue music.

So definitely Elvis influenced Randy.

Other influences who are being played:

The Byrds
    CSN&Y
    Johnny Cash
    T-Bone Walker
    Scott Joplin
    Patsy Cline
    The Beatles
    The Rolling Stones
    Marvin Gaye
    Hank Williams Sr

I think Chuck Berry was included as well. I’m sure I’m missing others. Maybe Shun can list more.

There’s also another category of artists, “Family Tree” that includes Linda Ronstadt, Bob Seger and J.D. Souther.
    Last edited by Delilah; 12-11-2017 at 02:31 PM.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Jackson with the Family Tree.

Family Tree (people they've played with)
    Jackson Browne
    Jay Ferguson
    Firefall
    Steely Dan
    Flying Burrito Brothers
    Buffalo Springfield
    Poco
    Rick Nelson

Influences:
    Glen Campbell
    Smokey Robinson and the Miracles
    Tom Waits (I don't know why this is an influence)
    Kenny Rogers

These artists covered Eagles songs:
    Clint Black
    Johnny Cash
    Diana Krall (I've heard two from her: Desperado and I Can't Tell You Why)
    Tanya Tucker
    Alan Jackson
    Buck Owens
    Waylon Jennings/Willie Nelson
    Etta James
    Brownstone
    Vince Gill
    Gypsy Kings
    Garth Brooks
    Johnny Rodriguez
    Conway Twitty
    John Anderson
    Travis Tritt
    Little Texas

Their maybe more, I can't remembered.

I think the country ones are probably Don since he listened to that a lot growing up before Elvis and The Beatles came around. CSN&Y and Rolling Stones can be any of them. Smokey Robinson and the Miracles is probably Glenn since he grew up in Detroit. I remembered a story of Don seeing the Byrds in concert, but that could be the other guys too.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 12-13-2017 at 02:09 PM.

Thank you, Shun. I can’t believe I forgot Smokey Robinson and the Miracles! I knew I was missing someone from Motown. I think Glenn may have talked about Tom Waits in a 70s interview and of course, they covered Waits’ song, “Ol 55.” Part of The Byrds’ influence can be linked to Gram Parsons, who was once in the group and then later played with Bernie in the FBB.

I remember one cover that was interesting, The Long Run by Big Reel Fish. There’s also JD Souther’s covers of BOML and NKIT.

I don’t care for Diane Krall’s “Desperado” at all.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Yes. I remembered JD's versions of NKIT, BOML, Heartache Tonight. I heard the original version of How Long for the first time on the channel. JD has an updated version of How Long, but it definitely had that country feel.