Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tracks That Didn’t Make Hotel California

Default Tracks That Didn’t Make Hotel California

Hotel California was probably the best Eagles album in that there is no filler on the album. All are solid songs. My question is during this extremely creative and successful run where there any other tracks that had work done for the album that didn’t make it? We know about songs that didn’t make OOTN, TLR, and OTB. I’ve never heard of a song that the band worked on thought about but rejected for the HC album. Did they end up by accident liking the first 8 songs they worked on?

Default Re: Tracks That Didn’t Make Hotel California

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    Hotel California was probably the best Eagles album in that there is no filler on the album. All are solid songs. My question is during this extremely creative and successful run where there any other tracks that had work done for the album that didn’t make it? We know about songs that didn’t make OOTN, TLR, and OTB. I’ve never heard of a song that the band worked on thought about but rejected for the HC album. Did they end up by accident liking the first 8 songs they worked on?
    I'm going to guess if there is one, we won't know about it.. I think it was probably used in a future record, or parts of it, or maybe on a solo record, depending who wrote it..

Would be nice, though... I advise people to check YouTube constantly, since many videos are taken down by a number of people/businesses.

(and please post it if you do!)

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

I would guess that it will never happen, but I'd like to hear Don Felder's demo tape that included HC, VoL, and presumably lots of other guitar based tracks that we've never heard.

Stuck on the Border

"Did they end up by accident liking the first 8 songs they worked on?"

They probably recognized early on which ideas were worth working on, so they didn't like the songs they ended up really working on "by accident". If that's the case, they had an amazing "garbage filter". There may have been song ideas with one verse and an idea for a chorus melody that were rejected, but if songs were nearly completed and then rejected, we'd probably have heard of them by now.

Hotel California Producer On the Making of the Album

http://bestclassicbands.com/bill-szy...view-11-21-17/

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Stuck on the Border

Interesting. I wonder which three songs were ready when they started recording OOTN.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Thank you for that article, Dawn. The Ricky Nelson house where the band rehearsed for two week's was Randy's home. It was in the Mt Olympus area. A
    Also, the concert benefit for Jerry Brown was in May 1976 at The Forum, wasn't it? Bill seems to equate this with the filmed concert at the Capital Center in Maryland that's on the HOTE bonus disc, but isn't that from March 1977?
    So confusing 🦅

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Interesting. I wonder which three songs were ready when they started recording OOTN.
    Well I don’t know if this is what you meant but I know by the time the very beginning work for OOTN started they had a good chunk of the song done but it was on acoustic piano. I know Felder added a bass and electric parts to it. But it was largely completed by the time they started. I know we can rule out visions as it was tossed on last second, I don’t believe Lyin Eyes was ready by then nor was TITTL.

Thanks for the article Dawn. There’s some interesting information in that. It’s crazy that the only song they had to start HC was try and love again. Maybe that’s why it didn’t get more emphasis was because they had written HC,NKIT, and LITFL after it so they forgot about it but it’s a really song. I think this has to prove that there isn’t as much stuff in the vaults as we think. Say what you will about Irving and Don but I doubt Bill would lie about this stuff

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

I think I read somewhere that they discussed releasing TALA as a single when Randy was leaving the band in case it would encourage him to stay. A pity in a way; I think it would have made a great single. But with Randy leaving, it wouldn't make sense to release it.